100% Whey

Options
CallieM15
CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
So my mom visted me, and bought a big bag of 100% whey protien powder from costco. She ended up forgetting it at my house, (she lives plane rides away). I dont know if its bennificial to me? Im eating pretty much veggies and meat daily. Egg for breakfast, salad/meat for lunch, and a good piece of protien for dinner/veggies.

Whats your guys' take on whey? I heard that it good in coffee in the morning... I also heard from a femal friend that she drank it for 2 weeks, and gained 10# on the scale. She didnt see it, but the scale when up... ??

Im 193#, trying to get to 135#, then build muscle to 150#, fit.

Im very uninformed about protien powders.

I tried it in oatmeal and yogurt before, and it made it too sweet.

Replies

• BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    if u lift weights it can be very beneficial for you.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I dont know too much about it, but I heard it is helpful is you do weights and good sweaty calorie burning workouts.. before or after... The package of Whey usually says how much.. and what to do with it.. If you dont work out like that. I wouldnt use it. Google the product see what comes up.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I actually used to drink one in the morning (mine has expresso mmmmm) and Id workout or go for a jog... and I loved it... (along with breakfast and all that)
  • Jscheu1
    Jscheu1 Posts: 10
    Options
    If you meet your protein requirements for the day then thats great, but if youre below or in a hurry, its convienient...and it is great post workout. If your friend went up 10 pounds on the scale in two weeks it was not just from the protein, it was from going over her macros all in all. So if you find yourself needing some quick protein and you have to be somewhere asap, put a scoop in a cup mix it with water and there ya go...27 grams.

I also use it sometimes in shakes with plain oats natural peanut butter and a banana
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The whey protein didn't make your friend gain weight. Eating excess calories caused your friend to gain weight.

If you are paying close attention to protein, as you should be, then there is nothing wrong with supplementing some.
  • CallieM15
    Options
    So if Im meeting my preotien goals, no need to to add whey...

When I get to 135, and start doing weight trining, sounds like thats the time to add it in?
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

When I get to 135, and start doing weight trining, sounds like thats the time to add it in?

I don't know what your protein is currently set at, but if you are using MFP's recommendation, it is probably too low.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The whey protein didn't make your friend gain weight. Eating excess calories caused your friend to gain weight.

this.

go ahead and drink it if it helps you hit your protein goals.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is awesome.
  • CallieM15
    Options

I don't know what your protein is currently set at, but if you are using MFP's recommendation, it is probably too low.

Im usually around 100g protien a day avarage. Some days 80, some days 120. MFP says 188 recomended...
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for recovery from exercise also. Be it cardio or lifting it helps.
  • stephqj
    stephqj Posts: 20
    Options
    I often make shakes with yogurt and whey protein and fruit for breakfast. Whey is especially beneficial because it breaks down more slowly than some other proteins. The shakes are an easy way to add protein and calcium and fiber.

According to my trainer, "you" need your weight in KG (not pounds) for grams of protein in a day just to maintain your current muscle composition. If you want to build additional muscle, you need to bump the protein.

In addition to my weight loss, I dropped almost 20% body fat. Every time I'm in a muscle build mode, I will gain weight for a couple of weeks. The tearing and healing of the muscle fibers needs lots of extra water, so the muscle holds that water for a while. I've all but stopped looking at the scale and just go by how my clothes feel or how tight my abs feel to me. I can't control hormones and metabolic issues, only what I'm eating and doing. If I'm doing everything right, my body tells me.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's protein. Works just like chicken breasts or egg whites. Just quicker & easier to prepare and gulp down. Don't overthink it.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The only time you should be taking any kind of protein powders is when you are not able to get your minimum protein macro requirements from whole foods.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Whey doesn't make you gain weight, your friend over eating is why she gained weight. It's a fantastic supplement if youre on the go and need a quick meal. Just like all other food, include it in your calories for the day if you use it, a glass of milk and one scoop is somewhere around 250 calories... Just FYI
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Costco whey is awesome. Its good protein, with a low calorie cost. Great for after workout.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Let me put it this way, if you lift weights (properly), and don't follow it up with a scoop of whey protein, you are almost wasting your time.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way, if you lift weights (properly), and don't follow it up with a scoop of whey protein, you are almost wasting your time.

This is totally untrue. There is no nutritional window - you just need to hit your protein requirements on a daily basis.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight unless consuming it puts you above your maintenance calories every day. It's not some magical substance that causes you to gain weight, it's just a more efficient method of consuming protein.
  • CallieM15
    Options

What about lifting girly weights? LOL
    Im lifting every other day almost.. Not a ton, but enough to feel sore in the morning.