Pittsburgh: French fries on salad?

Options

Replies

• mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    It's true, in pittsburgh/ohio valley/wv, all the local diner places put french fries on their salads.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm in Pittsburgh and I always tell them no fries, but before trying to lose weight - I loved ordering a "healthy option" knowing there were a ton of fries with melted cheese on top! That's OK - I am English and my American friends find beans on toast strange.
  • ceejanerun
    Options
    I was Born in Ireland - French fry sandwiches are a standard! Here in Canada, people think I'm really strange when I make myself a "chip butty". And I love a french fry/ fish stick/baked bean sandwich!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    yep frys on salads are very common here ( I live near Pittsburgh ) and honestly I love a good steak or chicken salad bread bowl with frys (haven`t had one in ages but they are very yummy tasteing just not very good for your calorie count kwim)
  • SoapyPonyLevine
    SoapyPonyLevine Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Oh yes this is completely true!! There is one restaurant that my friends always want to go to called Dunnings. I think every salad there comes served on top of fries

menu.jpg
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Yuppers I love me some fries on my crispy chicken salad! It's a nice treat every once in awhile not too often thou...
  • ahubacek
    ahubacek Posts: 135
    Options
    I've never heard of french fries on a salad. Then again, in Arizona I see people dipping french fries and pizza in Ranch dressing.

That's because this is delicious.

Around here everyone dips their fries in mayo which I think is gross.
  • psucsi
    psucsi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Especially tasty with strips of steak and some cheese added.
  • nwebb822_cancel
    nwebb822_cancel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    French fries on salad???? I'm sorry, if "EVERYONE" was jumping off a roof, would you do it??? Please, people, do some critical thinking! Jeeze, GIVE ME A BREAK!
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Pittsburgh girl here....yup fries on everything. The Primanti Bros. sandwich is very popular here with the fries on it. I don't really see what is great about it. we even have our own language. "Picksburgh Stillers" "gumband" "jagoff" "red up" "chipped chopped ham" "nebby", etc
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    french fries with anything doesn't seem strange to me. I love french fries and homemade tartar sauce.
  • msracefan
    msracefan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Being from Pittsburgh, yes french fries are on certain salads! I actually ordered a grilled chicken salad tonight for dinner and had to take the fries off!!
  • Megilla90
    Options
    I've never heard of french fries on a salad. Then again, in Arizona I see people dipping french fries and pizza in Ranch dressing.

people in nj dip pizza in ranch dressing too ~

I think people everywhere do this, especially if you've ever eaten in an institutional cafeteria . . . I would have starved in college if it weren't for hot sauce and ranch dressing.

Yeah, not just a NJ thing, I'm originally from Chicago and we sometimes dipped our pizza in ranch. I dipped a lot of things in ranch, french fries being one of them, still will occasionally.
    I hadn't seen fries on a salad until I moved to Philly and saw them on the menu at Chickies and Petes, but they are know for their crab fries so I think they will put them on anything lol.

Yep dipping pizza in ranch is fairly common, I live in North Carolina.
    I've never had a salad in Philly, but I did have a salad that had fries on it in Northern New York State.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    French fries on salad???? I'm sorry, if "EVERYONE" was jumping off a roof, would you do it??? Please, people, do some critical thinking! Jeeze, GIVE ME A BREAK!

Wow it's not that serious. No one is saying they think a fries on a salad is healthy. Some people choose to splurge with pizza or cheeseburgers, some with fries on salad.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    They make salads without fries? :laugh:
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Oh you really don't want to know what they do with sandwiches........ (OK, they put fries on them too). It was a steel miners idea I believe he wanted to eat quick, or maybe play a card game or something while eating and he told the waitress to put all his food in bread - coleslaw and all...this is still done around Pittsburgh. People eat all kinds of things and they LOVE them - they taste good - and it's not evil to splurge).
  • ginger_red
    ginger_red Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Amen! When I moved from AZ to Illinois, I'd ask for ranch and people just look at me like I'm crazy!
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

Wow it's not that serious. No one is saying they think a fries on a salad is healthy. Some people choose to splurge with pizza or cheeseburgers, some with fries on salad.

^^^ THIS ^^^

In honor of this thread, I think I am going to Primantis for lunch on Friday.
  • VeggieFace
    VeggieFace Posts: 56
    Options

^^^ THIS ^^^

In honor of this thread, I think I am going to Primantis for lunch on Friday.

Hmm I've been in Pittsburgh for almost a year now, and haven't tried Primantis yet! I've had fries on a salad though :) In a hospital cafeteria :)
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    Yup, its true, here in the 'Burgh you gotta ask for "no fries and dressing on the side."