Ankle / wrist weights

Options
Anybody have any idea how much the use of ankle or wrist weights increases calories burned? Or do they not burn any extra and only serve to increase resistance for strength training purposes?

I ask because I've added 5# weights to each ankle for step aerobics and the rhythm boxing I do on the Wii Fit. I also wear both the wrist and ankle weights when I do yard work (3# on each wrist).

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I haven;t done any research but I was thinking of wearing weights during aerobic workout and walking. If you "weigh" more you burn more calories so...I'm thinking I could add a few lbs to make up for what I'm losing so I still burn the same amount. If that makes sense.
  • McPushup
    McPushup Posts: 12
    Options
    When I do Kenpo X from the P90X program and I use 1 lb Wrist weights I burn an extra 170 Calories. I have logged my Cals for several months and it consistantly around 170.
    I have tried 1.5 lb Wrist Weights but I could feel some strain in my shoulder. I switched weights 1/2 way thru so I dont have any data on those.

So not including warmup, 45min Kenpo workout:
    Without Weights 650 cals burned
    With weights 820 cals burned

Hope this helps
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    IMHO, I'm not sure wearing wrist and ankle weights for daily activities will really make much difference, but during cardio workouts, they will increase the work/difficulty of what you're doing, and therefore, increase your calorie burn somewhat. I also use hand weights for P90X kenpo- 2# hand weights for me- no joint issues. I certainly feel the punches more in my arms and burn maybe 10% more calories. The calorie increase is very individual. A good HRM that shows your calorie burn will really show you where you are.

Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Frankborelli - get out of my head!!!! I was JUST wondering about this last night- so your post kinda freaked me a bit....then, I remembered that at some point, some important in the know exercise type people decided that wearing wrist and ankle weights while running, walking, aerobics, cardio, etc, really isn't that good for you do to the extra strain on the joints and other factors, including potential stress on your cardio system. I definately think it's worth researching more. How's that for a long drawn out IDUNNO? :smile:
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the answers / inputs.

If I had any joint / pain issues using them I wouldn't continue. Then again, after seven years of military service and a career as a cop, when ISN'T there some discomfort in exercise? LOL What's the old USMC axiom? Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I tried using the wrist weights I have for the Wii Fit boxing and the Gold's Gym Cardio Boxing, but they are too loose on my wrists and not adjustable enough to clamp down - so they slide up and down my forearm completely throwing off my rhythm. SO, I don't use them on my wrists but continue to use the ankle weights.

Thanks again!!

(and I'll now promptly step out of anyone's head... <grin>)
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I was pondering this thought last week because I was trying to come up with ways to make my walks burn more calories. I put my on my ankle weights and went for a walk to see how it felt...not good my knees got really sore so I knew this was not the answer. Yesterday while reading Prevention magazine there was a one page article "Will this thing really Boost My Burn?" They looked at 2 things I had been thinking about purchasing a weighted walking vest and toning tennis shoes like the Sketchers Shape-Ups. Here is their take on the walking vest.

"Exercisers burned 23% more calories wearing an 8 pound weighted vest" Try it if you want to build bone density. (which is important to me as a 45 year old woman) Incorporating impact activities such as running or jumping would also be effective"

If wearing a weighted vest improves calorie burn then I would think using ankle weights and wrist weights would do the same. (I ordered a 10 pound vest from Amazon after I read this...I am thinking distributing the weight the way the vest does will make it easier on the knees...though I will probably look funny walking around in it because it kind of looks like a bullet proof vest>):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I do this frequently when I need to change up my routine, but I have also been told to take care when advising their use in a practical sense because your body holds itself a certain way to compensate for the sudden weight gain, and that injuries can happen if you are not comfortably familiar in a gym/fitness center setting. People with rotator cuff injuryies should take care when using hand weights with cardio routines like walking, and people with knee/hip issues should especially take care when adding ankle weights. Ironically, it is these gentle resistance increases using weight where your biggest weaknesses are physiologically, create more dense bone and more flexible and strong joints and ligaments. But I digress, if you're with me so far, you get it.

As to increases in bpm? I felt at least a 10-15% increase in effort, from a comfy 130 for me at my age, to at least 143bpm with about 10lbs of extra hand/ankle weight. The numbers go up on HR and effort assessment. But I am only starting to do this on a reg basis. For me it's a 6.5 in effort, especially when you then add some incline. I think using this kind of resistance does burn more and create a weight/strength effort that also burns post-cals.

I've also posted about this before.
    I'll shut up now.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I own some, but I rarely use them when excercising.

its really easy to hurt yourself using them so be careful, they are quite useful if you are doing something that requires controlled movement in your body (e.g. martial arts kata) or flexibility training.
  • jallison12
    Options
    It does have some effect.
    Several times a week I do cardio on a step machine. To initiate I enter time, weight and workout level. The machine doesn't really know what weight I am. But if I change that weight entered I get a different cals burned for a workout, all other things being equal (which they are not, but roughly).
    So for anyone elses type of workout, where you do enter weight as part of the workout session, put in your own body weight for some workouts and get the cals burned. Then do some workouts adding 10lbs (for your weights) to your workout weight and see what the cals burned is then.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would just add to be careful with the leg weights. They can throw your stride off and cause injury/: Besides reading it I worked with a guy that used them for jogging and tore some ligaments in his knee. He limped around for over 4 months.

I have a 12 lb weight vest and some wrist ones that I love. I usually just add the weight to my own, figure it's close enough to count.
  • jallison12
    Options
    I would just add to be careful with the leg weights. They can throw your stride off and cause injury/: Besides reading it I worked with a guy that used them for jogging and tore some ligaments in his knee. He limped around for over 4 months.

I have a 12 lb weight vest and some wrist ones that I love. I usually just add the weight to my own, figure it's close enough to count.
    I find it difficult walking from the locker room to the step machine! But once on the stepper the weights on my ankles are not an issue, as my feet are permanently on the steps all the time. I could not imagine running or jogging with them.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Ankle weights should only be used for exercise where you aren't moving. You can do serious knee and hip joint damage and it really isn't worth if for the minimal extra calorie burn. Weights are for lifting not for strapping on to walk around.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    So I was just looking into this subject and that’s how I ended up on this thread. It came up on a google search. I love my ankle weights but I was curious as to their effectiveness or even if they were doing more harm than good. The first two links that came up for me are not encouraging so I’m certainly going to do more research on the subject. The first link gives you options for walking but not so much for in the gym. I wear mine while doing yoga and while I’m warming up with the kids that I coach soccer to. I would suggest to A. talk to your Dr. and B. just listen to your body it’ll tell you if you need to stop. For now I’ll continue to wear mine but I’m a hard headed numskull.

http://walking.about.com/od/gear/bb/weights.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.org/health-tip/art-20049111

V/r,
    DW