Metabolism Boosting Supplements - Help?

Options
I've been looking into supplements that increase metabolism and am basically just overwhelmed at this point. Just wondering if anyone is very satisfied with their supplements and am looking for recommendations. Thanks!

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I take B 12 but I don't really take it for that, even though it's good for that.

I take it to go along with another supplement.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into supplements that increase metabolism and am basically just overwhelmed at this point. Just wondering if anyone is very satisfied with their supplements and am looking for recommendations. Thanks!

The most efficient and satisfying way to boost your metabolism is to eat a balanced diet, and be more active. If its energy your looking for, anything with caffeine will do.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've gone to several nutritionists over the years, all of them say the same thing. The vitamin & supplement business is a big scam. No vitamin or supplement is going to increase your metabolism. Good nutrition and exercise is the key. You need to see a doctor if you think there is something really wrong with your metabolism. A doctor can check to see if there is something wrong with your thyroid or pituitary gland or hormone levels.
  • michele121212
    michele121212 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good points. I think there IS something wrong with my thyroid but every time i've had it tested it shows as 'low/normal'. Thyroid issues do run in my family and I should probably be tested again. I know there is no substitute for healthy eating and exercise but I was hoping for a 'booster' that works, too:)
  • Ceit60
    Ceit60 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi, I'm in hte same boat - I'm getting frustrated now at 2 and a half weeks with no weight shift, and I'm being meticulous (apart from t his evening I got so fed up I went and had fish and chips for dinner). I know I need to excercise more but medical problems and irish weather have hampered me somewhat - I am doing more excercise than I was though. I'm taking between 15 - 1700 calories a day as my BMR is calculating at 1692. What am I doing wrong - I am also reading low - normal thyroid and am symptomatic of hypothyroidism. Have cholesterol of 8.8 too which I'm trying to combat, and highish blood pressure (very stressed though).
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There is no supplement or vitamin that will boost your metabolism. If you want to increase metabolism, then exercise. That is the only proven method. No matter what Dr. Oz tries to sell you, there is just no evidence of anything else "boosting" metabolism.
  • michele121212
    Options
    I was hit by a truck [literally] a few years ago and really struggle with exercise. i can walk [on good days] and do as much as possible. I should probably post another question soliciting exercise advice for people who suffer chronic pain from injuries..
  • michele121212
    Options
    Hi, I'm in hte same boat - I'm getting frustrated now at 2 and a half weeks with no weight shift, and I'm being meticulous (apart from t his evening I got so fed up I went and had fish and chips for dinner). I know I need to excercise more but medical problems and irish weather have hampered me somewhat - I am doing more excercise than I was though. I'm taking between 15 - 1700 calories a day as my BMR is calculating at 1692. What am I doing wrong - I am also reading low - normal thyroid and am symptomatic of hypothyroidism. Have cholesterol of 8.8 too which I'm trying to combat, and highish blood pressure (very stressed though).

Wow, sounds like we have similar issues! We just have to stick with it though, right? Slow and steady will win in the end:)
  • nat_j86
    nat_j86 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi don't know if your still looking into this but I'm currently under the hospital at the moment for my weight loss. I have poly cystic ovarian syndrome and my body struggles to break down carbs. I hit a brick wall this last month by not losing any weight but have looked at it that at least I have maintained my weight and not put anything on.

Anyway, was talking to my nurse about it and she suggested metabolism boosting foods like berries, spinach and seaweed! I'm a fussy eater to boot so she suggested taking supplements for these foods. I have also read that caffeine a vitamin B12 is good. Obviously supplements are only an aid if your already on a calorie controlled diet but what have you got to lose in trying?

I know how frustrating it can be, I can't do much exercise as I have a dodgy knee from an accident couple of years ago and being told that for every 1lb I lose a normal person would lose 10lbs didn't really help but I'm taking it a day at a time.

Hope you find something that works for you. xx
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi, I posted a topic about my experience with this, but no one ever responded.

I had to have surgery on my left eyelids to remove a couple cysts and my doctor told me I have ocular rosacea (along with my regular rosacea) and he recommended I start taking fish oil and flaxseed oil supplements for eye dryness and to help control my rosacea.

I've been having the strangest side effect in that I am eating much much less than usual. I normally work my day around food and it kind of controls me, but since taking these supplements I barely even think about food (although I am a little obsessed with WHY I'm NOT thinking about food.)

The only info I can find on the web says that the omega's in these supplements suppress your appetite while keeping your metabolism up, because the oils are telling your brain you're full. Of course, then I'll read an article saying that the other article is bologna.

All I can tell you is it is working for me. All of our bodies respond to things differently, but fish oil and flaxseed oil have a myriad of other benefits and are worth taking despite weight loss claims. So, I'd give it a shot if I were you. I follow the directions on the back of the bottles (fish oil: 2000 mg, twice daily) (flaxseed oil: 1200mg, twice daily)

Good luck!
  • mctutu
    mctutu Posts: 1
    Options
    I am just so disheartened! For the last year, I have carefully worked my diet, I am gluten intolerant so eat little breads etc. worked out like a demon every alternative day, gained a bit of muscle but my fat has remained! This is totally insane! I don't eat candy or chocolate, of course baked goods are out of the question. I eat three meals per day, buckwheat for breakfast with a glass of kefir. Lunch in a protein shake with blueberries, mail meal is fist of protein and loads of greens and tomatoes, snacks are apples and fruit.
    Drinks are tea, and loads of water. No pop. No coffee, no junk food, no baked goods, no cookies, no cake. I mean it, for a WHOLE year!! I run 3-5 km, I lift weights and stretch, so why am I so exhausted and why am I not losing the fat!! I have pinched and measured my fat... No change!!! Any supplements to help???? There must be SOMETHING!!!
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    7-Keto or 7-Keto-DHEA is an over-the-counter steroidal supplement that has demonstrated metabolic enhancement in mouse studies. It is thermogenic, meaning it increases body temperature, which accelerates fat utilization. There has been one human study that showed a small metabolic benefit from using 7-Keto.
    The research on this supplement is preliminary, so use it at your own risk.
  • emelia_
    emelia_ Posts: 91
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition your metabolism is working just about as much as everyone else's. Supplements don't have much if any impact.
  • foolsforsarah
    Options
    One really good one, that won't hurt your metabolism is one I recently started taken.
    Called Epiphany D1
    its actually a cognitive enhancement but it relaly gives you a boost of energy for your workout. Its nice because you don't have to drink any nasty powder mixes you just pop the pill. Its mainly to assist in memory, focus and concentration but its perfect for workout because it gives a boost and helps you focus on your exercise.

I found out about it after seeing a youtube clip on some Olympic Runners, a girl in Canada, and a man in Jamaica who supports it and claims it has taken time off their run. I have noticed great improvements in the gym as well.

I also use it when I am not working out, just to focus concentration at work.

Others I take
    -Epihpany d1 Energy, focus, memory [people claim its like adderall, I don't feel that] (by Dynamic Life Nutrition)
    -DHEA
    -B Complex
    -ALA
    -Piracetam for concentration/focus at work (by Dynamic Life Nutrition)
    -Elation Shake by Dynamic Life Nutrition
    -Calcium Magnesium
    -Vitamin D3

sounds like alot but I feel AMAZING!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

This will do it.

CVaadX105_celk1_cl.jpg

Put in 30km a day, and your metabolism will be jacked in no time.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    OP:
    Did you ever buy the supplements since starting this thread a year and a half ago?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    barbell.jpg
  • fitmom1029
    Options
    I take this everday-totally agree with you!:smile:
  • fitmom1029
    Options
    I take this everday-totally agree with you!:smile:

sorry-7 Keto dhea that is lol
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    take some of this

runningshoes.jpg

or some of this

weight-lifting-plus-cardio.jpg

or you can stack them, to get even better results.