Carb/Protein/ Fat intake Question

Options
What % of Protein is a good amount per day?
My settings are at:

55% carbs
30% fat
15% protein

Is this ok? or what should be changed?

Replies

• natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this too. I'm trying to reduce my carbs so I set mine at

40 carbs
    30 fat
    30 protein

not sure if that's good though..
  • normusnonaliam
    normusnonaliam Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Right now, eating clean, I tend to be around 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fats.
  • Toxictwist
    Toxictwist Posts: 274
    Options
    also, where do I go on this web site to make the changes?!
    Cant find it :s
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    also, where do I go on this web site to make the changes?!
    Cant find it :s
    Mine are set to 45/30/ 25 carbs/protein/fat. 15% protein is dreadfully low.

To change them go to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    "Goals", "Change Goals", "Custom", then make your changes and save.

Not sure what your settings should be. I set mine to 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat but I'm diabetic and watching cholesterol. I'm losing an average of 1.5 lbs a week and do 60 mins cardio 5/wk plus 20 min strength training 3 x/wk.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Not sure what your settings should be. I set mine to 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat but I'm diabetic and watching cholesterol. I'm losing an average of 1.5 lbs a week and do 60 mins cardio 5/wk plus 20 min strength training 3 x/wk.

If you are diabetic shouldn't your carbs be lower than 50%?
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I just changed mine to 30%protein, 30%fat, 40%carbs. Easily manageable and I feel full. On higher carbs I was so hungry. I stayed the same weight for nearly 2 weeks whilst my body adjusted, but lost 5lbs this last week. I think they are great macros. I wish I'd done it sooner! X
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40/30/30
    carbs/fat/protein
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    essentially you can ignore% and aim for grams then find the closest % to those goals. If you know your BF% try to get 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (this amount helps you retain lean mass as you lose weight, not getting enough protein can lead to the loss of lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing)

If you don't know your BF% aim for 0.8 to 1 grams of protein per pound of goal weight. For fat eat 0.35 grams per pound of body weigh, and the remainder of your cals eat how you choose, either all carbs, or more fat and protein and some carbs.

Just remember that 1 grams of fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of protein = 4 caloires, and 1 gram of carbs = 4 caloires, when working out %.
  • jbags5
    jbags5 Posts: 4
    Options
    I try to go 40/40/20 or 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat. If I'm in that range, I'm happy. Keep in mind it has to be a part of a good calorie intake plan as well (I shoot for 1750-2000 per day). This gives me good fuel for working out and still lets me shed pounds.

I was planning on moving to a 50/30/20 carbs/protein/fat ratio for the longer term, but the 40/30/30 has been working pretty well for me so far, and it's not that tough to maintain.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    50% fat
    30% protein
    20% carbs
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

The answer to this is no. There isn't a reason to eat less than 50% carbs unless your doctor tells you to. A lot of it depends on the type of diabetes. Type 1 for instance, counts carbs and will adjust insulin to account for the carbs, the percentage doesn't really matter.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    im on 45c / 25p / 30f , I only set to this as MFP protein was low but ive accidentally got it pretty much perfect according to erics post :-)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I just saw a dietician the other day to get my metabolism tested. I told her I recently changed my macros to 40/30/30, and she said that was good for the "average" person, but at this phase I should aim for 130 g of carbs a day and up my protein and healthy fats. I had just read that 40/30/30 was good for fat loss, so I was confused, but I didn't question her.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Not really, general rule of thumb for diabetics is 30-45g at each breakfast, lunch, & dinner and 15g for each of the 3 snacks. I tried to go 45% but I wasn't very successful with it b/c I wasn't getting in the amount of necessary protein (35%) & I didn't want to deprive my body of nutrients. Whether or not that makes sense, I don't know. But my blood sugars have drastically improved. I just need to go down 1 more point and I'll be off the meds. Yay for me! Thank you for your concern though. I do appreciate it.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    I've been on a 50% protein, 30% carb and 20% fat diet and it has really helped me to lose weight. I lost 12 lbs in a month and would continue if I had a lot to lose. That diet has really helped and I still have the energy to get through my workouts. If you dont have enough energy, include more carbs in your diet.