Calorie Consumption

Options
I am 39 years old, 5'2" and I weigh 200 lbs. The MFP site says that I should be eating 1200 calories per day but I am being told that 1200 calories is not enough food. I have doing the P90X program a6 days a week and adding the calories burned to my tracker so I am typically getting an additional 300 t- 500 calories per day. Can anyone help me pin down a plan that I can use on a daily basis? Thanks.

Replies

• ms_tris
    ms_tris Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Did you set your weight loss goal at 2lbs per week? Usually that is what causes MFP to suggest 1200 calories. As long as you are eating back your exercise calories and as long as you feel ok (listen to your body!) you should be ok. Mine is set to 1200 as well, and some days I eat back my exercise calories (if I'm feeling hungry) and some days I don't. I'm 36 and 5'9".
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories. You burn 400 doing the P90X, eat those calories.

Your body needs a minimum 1200 NET (meaning you burn calories, you eat them to cancel out the extra calorie burn).

This is just a guideline, though, and is a great spot to start at to find out what works for you. Most people find with doing P90X they need to eat more calories than the 1200 minimum to keep it up.
  • cubanita28
    cubanita28 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the tips. Great idea to listen to my body!