accuracy of HRM calorie count

So Iam doing P90X right now and other than that I'm pretty sedentary (student). Im at about 18% BF and looking to get to about 7% BF. It just occurred to me that my HRM might be totally wrong about the number of calories burned in a session of exercise. So, would it be better to stop looking at the calories/exercise and "eating back" and all that and just set my activity level to extremely high and stop counting exercise calories?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    What makes you think your HRM is wrong? What kind are you using?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    A HRM is the best way to get your calories burned from exercise. What suddenly made you decide yours doesn't?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    That's what I do. I calculate my TDEE, and subtract a deficit from that. My workout schedule is pretty consistent, so my TDEE includes that level of activity. I log what my HRM says for calories burned, but I ignore the extra calories added to my goal. On a workout day heavier than normal, or otherwise extremely active day, I'll eat at the top of the range. On days I don't workout I'm fine eating a little below my range but always above my BMR. It's working well for me.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    A HRM is the best way to get your calories burned from exercise. What suddenly made you decide yours doesn't?

Well, it can be fairly accurate as long as you know your V02max and can enter it into the HRM, AND if you're doing steady-state cardio. For weight training and intervals, it's not nearly as accurate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So Iam doing P90X right now and other than that I'm pretty sedentary (student). Im at about 18% BF and looking to get to about 7% BF. It just occurred to me that my HRM might be totally wrong about the number of calories burned in a session of exercise. So, would it be better to stop looking at the calories/exercise and "eating back" and all that and just set my activity level to extremely high and stop counting exercise calories?

As a guy, count yourself fortunate as you are likely within tight range of accuracy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

But, you could make it more accurate. Mostly the later stuff on max HR tests. You think P90X is pushing you, do the full blown MHR test!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/548645-setup-polar-hrm-for-more-accurate-calorie-burn-for-known-bmr
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Nothing is precise. Do you think that you and me burn a 50 calorie cookie at the exact same rate? Do you think it means exactly the same thing to our bodies? No.

I use this http://p90xcalories.com/ for calculating. It's about as good as you can get. HRMs are for cardio; running, treadmill, that kind of thing. They don't work for weight training.
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    Thank you for the feedback! I know this is all about estimates....I'm just trying to make sure that my estimates are within reason!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Think of it this way. I don't care if my scale is off by ten pounds. As long as it is consistent. So, when I weigh in, I know ive lost weight. It's all relative.