?? for those who have "zig-zagged" successfully

Options
After three weeks of being stalled I want to try zig-zagging or cycling my calories and carbs. I already strength train 3x/week (with 30 min light cardio on these days) and do intensive cardio another 3x/week.

My question is for those who have used this technique effectively. It seems my options are to change it up every day (with moderate swings of 200-300 calories day to day), or do a pattern of 3 days low, 1 day really high, and repeat. Have either of these worked for anyone?? Or anyone else have a pattern that works?

Thanks!

Replies

• FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I haven't really done zig-zaggin much but I have been curious about it.
    A friend sent me to this link for suggestions:
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=64
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    I read about it after reading this post. I would also like to know if anyone has done this.
  • kstinson
    kstinson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was reading a post about this a while ago. This website gives a week breakdown of calorie cycling depending on your age/heigt/weight and how much you want to loose. I haven't had the self control to follow it yet :wink: but i've heard that it works well, especially if you've reached a weight plateau

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    People have done it successfully on here. Although I would say that 3 weeks does not a plateau make. Nor is it uncommon. Try it if you like, but not because you are plateaued, but because you like the philosophy.
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to take over the thread, but I have a question.

SHBoss will zig zagging calories be beneficial for someone so close to their goal?
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    I"d like to know more about this...
    does anyone do it right now? If you count watching calories during the week, and not on the weekends, then I'm already in. I dont' go hog-wild on the weekends, just eat up around my maintenance.

Cindy
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I don't mean to take over the thread, but I have a question.

SHBoss will zig zagging calories be beneficial for someone so close to their goal?

That's a loaded question. Zig Zagging is no better or worse then any other diet type, it's just a different way to do it. Is it better for people close to goal? Not really. But it's not worse either, and if you like this way better, then that's your thing, be happy that you found something you like. Mentally this may help, but physically, it's not any different, it just changes the delivery method, not the amount of calories long term.

If you want to know what's better for people close to goal I can tell you that, no problem, but you won't like the answer (well, I shouldn't say that, you may LOVE the answer, it all depends on how you think about healthy eating and exercise)

The answer for people close to goal is this: EAT close to your maintenance calories (100 or 200 calories), eat HEALTHY, eat balanced, make sure you get all your food groups in in the right amount, get 6 to 8 hours sleep a night (good sleep), and spend an hour a day, 5 days a week exercising viggorously! That's it, there's no magic to it.

Here's the rub, you really need to take some time, do the research, and find out REALLY what your maintenance calories are. Use an HRM, find out how close to the average for your age/weight/height/activity level your heart rate is at rest, and if you're close, then your maintenance calories should be close to the average as well. If your Heart rate is higher then the average, then you're probably burning more calories then the average, lower heart rate probably means less calories. This is not ALWAYS the case, but generally it is a decent meter.
    Course if you really want to know, go get yourself medically tested for your precise metabolic rate, then you'll know exactly how many calories you consume a day.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options

Here's the rub, you really need to take some time, do the research, and find out REALLY what your maintenance calories are. Use an HRM, find out how close to the average for your age/weight/height/activity level your heart rate is at rest, and if you're close, then your maintenance calories should be close to the average as well. If your Heart rate is higher then the average, then you're probably burning more calories then the average, lower heart rate probably means less calories. This is not ALWAYS the case, but generally it is a decent meter.
    Course if you really want to know, go get yourself medically tested for your precise metabolic rate, then you'll know exactly how many calories you consume a day.

I'm really glad you posted this about maintenance calories. I was just thinking yesterday about the resting heart rate, and since mine is on the lower side (55-60) I assumed that I was burning less calories, and now I know that is correct. Thanks again. :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I'm really glad you posted this about maintenance calories. I was just thinking yesterday about the resting heart rate, and since mine is on the lower side (55-60) I assumed that I was burning less calories, and now I know that is correct. Thanks again. :smile:

probably correct. But you're welcome.