Medicated Drink

Options
deedun
deedun Posts: 361 Member
Hi everyone,

I posted a similar topic when I first joined as I was curious as to whether I should be counting my medicated drinks in with my calories or just ignore them.

Well I have been counting them, but i just got a call from my doc asking me to up my dose to 4 drinks at day @ 115 cals each => 460 per day :noway:

I am on the 1200 cals a day plan and it only leaves me with 740 which is hardly anything.

I dont know if anyone here can offer me any advice but I feel really down now. It's like one step forward and 3 back :frown:

Any ideas/suggestions?

Replies

• PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I'm not familiar with medicated drinks. What are the calories from? Sugar? Protein? Is there any other form you can take the medicine in?
  • deedun
    Options
    No, I have to take them the way they are.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    not sure if you are limited on your excercise but if you can step it up. Also, you will have to watch those calories,doesn't seem fair since the med part is out of your control :ohwell:

Hang in there, how long will you need to be on this med?
  • deedun
    Options
    I'm on it for life unfortunetly :ohwell:

Yea I exercise 5 days a week between gym, carido, kickboxing.. Dont think I can add more at this stage..
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    have you asked them if there is a sugarfree option for the med? Also, try adding other small excercise things throughout your day, ie(parking farthes out from the store, running up stairs instead of taking elevators, leg lifts while watching tv, etc...) Wish I could suggest something magical for you, sucks when it is out of your control.
  • deedun
    Options
    Thanks I know!

The drink I have is the lowest cal option.

Thanks anyway!!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    It seems like if you are exercising 5 days a week already you should be getting back some decent exercise calories which should cancel out the drinks....
  • deedun
    Options
    Yea in theory but I get between 300 - 500 cals which equals to a normal 1200 cal day! which is still a bit low for the days where I am really hungry..
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm not sure I get this whole "medicated drink" thing. What kind of medication is it and what are you taking it for?
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    You might just have to try to eat more filling foods like green veggies, fiber and proteins that are lower in calories. You can always up your calorie intake which means you will lose the weight at a slower rate, but it is better than starving yourself due to the ‘empty’ calories the drinks are giving you. :ohwell:
  • deedun
    Options
    You might just have to try to eat more filling foods like green veggies, fiber and proteins that are lower in calories. You can always up your calorie intake which means you will lose the weight at a slower rate, but it is better than starving yourself due to the ‘empty’ calories the drinks are giving you. :ohwell:

Yea I suppose I could do that..

I will try that from next week and see how I get on and then review everything all over again!