Replies

• BAtobe
    BAtobe Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We have no specialty stores within 100+ miles. :grumble:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Ok, can someone tell me exactly what I am looking for in a foam roller?

Get the extra firm or high density like this http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Density-Foam-Rollers/dp/B0040NJOA0

I heard the softer ones may wear out and get even softer fairly quickly, whereas the firmer ones will hold up.

I've also heard good things about "The Grid" http://www.amazon.com/The-Grid-Revolutionary-Foam-Roller/dp/B0040EKZDY
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I thought i had it band pain till seeing a PT and let me tell youit wasnt IT band at all. Its just a weak ankle and a collapsing arch on one side. Strengthening my ankle and hamstrings are contributing to getting me back to running the distance! Specific exercises and certain therapies and i am already feeling better!
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did the foam roller stretch- but also wasn't able to get my hands on a roller from a PT. I went to a walk-in athletic clinic and the trainer there said I could use a water bottle instead of a foam roller, so I did the stretch daily using a nalgene (with a beach towel underneath me because my apt has hardwood floors). Depending on how painful the stretch is for you, you could take a smaller metal or hard plastic water bottle and wrap it with a towel or a t-shirt to give it some padding.

I hurt mine at the very beginning of training for a marathon, and I was diligent about stretching it and upping my mileage slowly and I was able to train well and complete the race. The trainer I talked to also recommended mixing up routes-- so not running on the same side of a slanted street all the time.

I'm all about the budget fitness supplies, though I do NOT skimp on good running shoes.....that mistake (and running on snow) gave me the IT band injury in the first place.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How would you describe the pain? Are you sure it's IT band?
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Foam roller did miracles for me.

Yep! Love mine
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've used the power plate at the gym to massage the area, can't decide if it works better than the foam roller or not but it does really work!
  • BAtobe
    Options
    How would you describe the pain? Are you sure it's IT band?

It's on the outside of my hip, its not sharp or stabbing, more like achy and just overall painful. I feel it more in the beginning of my "run", then when I warm up it doesn't feel nearly as bad and hurts more when I stop again. When I do the IT stretches, I feel the stretch in the exact area as the pain.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes, IT stretches (once warmed up) are crucial, and don't "run through" IT pain.

A few years ago, in my first year of running I started having IT problems, but I didn't know what it was- I thought it was just a nagging hip pain and since it went away as I ran, I opted to ignore it. I kept running on it, and as days and weeks went on, I started having knee pain, but not terrible, so again I ignored it. Then, eventually one day half of my foot was numb to the touch- no pain but just weird numbness. I finally went to the sports orthopedist at my university, and they were really worried- numbness is apparently a much bigger problem than pain. After an MRI to make sure all my nerves were ok and all kinds of other tests, they found out it was "Tarsal tunnel syndrome" which is comperable to the much more common carpal tunnel but in the foot. My foot took ~6mo to regain full feeling.

Long story long...the original IT injury caused this whole string of complications that could have been avoided had I paid proper attention in the first place. Running injuries cause your body to compensate in your gait and can cause more complicated issues down the line. I know you're not ignoring the issue- as you are seeking help for it but I thought I would share my cautionary tale.
  • BAtobe
    Options
    Proper shoes, IT stretches (once warmed up) are crucial, and don't "run through" IT pain.

A few years ago, in my first year of running I started having IT problems, but I didn't know what it was- I thought it was just a nagging hip pain and since it went away as I ran, I opted to ignore it. I kept running on it, and as days and weeks went on, I started having knee pain, but not terrible, so again I ignored it. Then, eventually one day half of my foot was numb to the touch- no pain but just weird numbness. I finally went to the sports orthopedist at my university, and they were really worried- numbness is apparently a much bigger problem than pain. After an MRI to make sure all my nerves were ok and all kinds of other tests, they found out it was "Tarsal tunnel syndrome" which is comperable to the much more common carpal tunnel but in the foot. My foot took ~6mo to regain full feeling.

Long story long...the original IT injury caused this whole string of complications that could have been avoided had I paid proper attention in the first place. Running injuries cause your body to compensate in your gait and can cause more complicated issues down the line. I know you're not ignoring the issue- as you are seeking help for it but I thought I would share my cautionary tale.

Thanks so much for sharing this. It really stinks to have take a break and I just might. :mad:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No Problem.....

Now I alternate running and using an elliptical regularly, and if I get any hint of pain in my hip or knee I use the elliptical exclusively. The constrained movements of the elliptical seems to correct the problem for me so I can still get a workout in.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes a foam roller is a must. And like another person suggested -get one of the harder ones (normally black).

I got a green one from Target that I use at home and it is a lot softer and not anywhere as good as the black hard one at the gym. It will be painful but that is good -that is what you want.

Also as someone else mentioned -if it is truly your IT Band you probably shouldn't be running until you get it healed. I did a Half Marathon in December and FINALLY this week I was able to run 1 mile and not have any pain.

It can be a long slow process.

I had a trainer tell me when I injured mine that beyond the stretches and beyond the foam roller to do exercises to strengthen my hips and my hamstrings.

Good Luck!
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    OMG. I am just now, after 8 weeks, finally able to run again.

The foam roller didn't do much for me. I finally broke down and did the PT thing. Five visits over two weeks. Was VERY helpful. The trigger point release and learning better stretches really made a difference for me.

I already do plenty of squats and lunges. Strength prevents injury. You should prob try a course of ibuprofen. 600mg every 6 hours for about a week. Try and break the inflammatory cycle. And, of course, cut way back on the activities that cause pain as you do regular stretching and strengthening exercises.

Good luck!