Is there such a thing as TOO much water?

Options
For the last 2 years I seem to be drinking tons of water! I used to drink about 7 cups a day, but now that turned into around 15 cups. I feel like every minute I'm either drinking water or thinking about drinking it. Am I drinking too much?!?!

Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with drinking too much water no but why are you so thirsty? See doc, get yourself checked for diabetes?
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Last night I had a strange issue where I felt like my bladder was full but I didn't have to pee. I assumed it had something to do with drinking too much water. I drank a lot of water yesterday but didn't keep track of how much. It was very uncomfortable though...every hour or so I'd have to pee and I'd figure that would fix it but it didn't. Eventually it did just go away though.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a thing as too much water, but I do not know the amount. I used to work with a young man with autism who would drink water constantly and it caused significant health problems - I believe it had to do something with the electrolites - but please do some research re: the amount and problems it can cause - it's been a long time and I can't recall the details.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill

Hyponatraemia will kill you, especially as we're being told to avoid salt. So yes, too much water can be a problem.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Can you die from too much water? Yes, water intoxication.
    It's possible that it could throw off electrolyte balance.

Does any of the above apply to you? Extremely unlikely. Hydration is highly variable. Just drink when you're thirsty and stop worrying.
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Can you die from too much water? Yes, water intoxication.
    It's possible that it could throw off electrolyte balance.

I read a magazine story (not really an article~lite reading mag) that covered this topic. Too much water (got to be a huge amount regularly I think) effects your sodium balance and does create problems as Kenny says. I was going to look it up actually but haven't yet.

This woman had been drink massive amounts for a long while.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's called Hyponatremia
    Several high-end athletes died due to that
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    not unless u can drink 5 gallons a day on a consistent basis.. i drink 1-2 gallons a day and have done this for a while now.. besides having to pee all of the time there is only an upside to drinking tons of water
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible. By your post sounds as if you're drinking about 4 litres a day, which I shouldn't think will do you any damage but being obsessed with it isn't a good way to proceed! If you're that thirsty you should maybe to talk to your doctor for reassurance as kidney problems and diabetes can cause thirst. There is a rare psychiatric syndrome in which people drink water compulsively until they collapse - one lady I used to nurse had supervised use of toilets as otherwise she would drink from the bowl and a couple of times put herself in a coma, but this is most unlikely to be affecting you!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    If you are drinking because you are really thirsty I would get a check up with a MD. That much thirst doesn't seem normal.
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill

Hyponatraemia will kill you, especially as we're being told to avoid salt. So yes, too much water can be a problem.

This! Yes yes.
  • ady41
    ady41 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    if you are so thirsty, did you checked your blood sugar recently?>
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    There was a woman that died a few years ago while doing a radio station contest. It was called 'hold your wee for a Wii". I doubt any explanation is necessary in what the contest was. Anyway, she mentioned she was having headaches on air when she dropped out. She went home and died that night.

If you are getting headaches, then that is a sign of it. Also, when you go to the bathroom, your urine should be pale yellow. If there is no hint of yellow, you are becoming over-hydrated.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    There was a woman that died a few years ago while doing a radio station contest. It was called 'hold your wee for a Wii". I doubt any explanation is necessary in what the contest was. Anyway, she mentioned she was having headaches on air when she dropped out. She went home and died that night.

If you are getting headaches, then that is a sign of it. Also, when you go to the bathroom, your urine should be pale yellow. If there is no hint of yellow, you are becoming over-hydrated.

Why does your urine need to be pale yellow? If it's clear that automatically means over-hydration?
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Why does your urine need to be pale yellow? If it's clear that automatically means over-hydration?

I probably stated that wrong. It is one of the signs and it can mean that.
  • specialopsnyc
    Options
    There is such a thing as too much water. Consuming way too much (more than standard 8-10 glasses and without working out therefore no need to repleat) you may throw off your sodium by diluting it too much which eventually can cause seizures.
    If you are very very thirsty and urinating very large volumes of urine then going to the doctor and getting checked out for diabetes insipidus is probably a good idea.
  • noweightfisherj
    noweightfisherj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This is from about.com

Question: Can You Drink Too Much Water?
    Answer: You've probably heard that it's important to 'drink plenty of fluids' or simply 'drink lots of water'. There are excellent reasons for drinking water, but have you ever wondered if it's possible to drink too much water. Here's what you need to know:

Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Ok let's talk about this...

First the pee thing...everything I've heard for years has been that your pee should be clear. I'd be surprised if that was incorrect. But I have no proof of that...

The "Hold your wee for a wii" thing however...there's one big difference as far as she was concerned...she was HOLDING HER WEE for a wii.

It's not like she was drinking a lot of water and then peeing it out. She was holding it in for hours. Most of us aren't going to be doing that.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I don't think so; now that I stopped drinking soda, I drink water all the time. I always have my pink 32oz water bottle filled. I get up and it's by my bedside.... where ever I go.. it goes... I usually drink, on average 120oz a day.
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Anything in excess can be bad for you. I'm a first aid trainer and according to what I've learned 25 litres (the size of the big jug you turn upside down on the office water cooler) consumed in a 24 hr period. is harmfull. Flushes out too much salt.