BIRTHDAY HELP....To Indulge or not to Indulge

Options
Hello to all of my fitness pals....

Today is my 24th birthday. I'm going out tonight to a local eatery/bar to get together with some friends. I've been doing really well with my diet and exercise for the past two weeks and I know that alcohol is pretty high cal (and so is birthday cake..lol). Should I indulge because it's my B-day and have a drink or two (and maybe a slice of cake) or would you suggest against it?

I'm gonna work out (do some yoga), before I leave tonight....

Let me know what you think

Replies

• MonicaRod
    MonicaRod Posts: 56
    Options
    :heart: ITS YOUR BIRTHDAY AND YOU CAN EAT IF YOU WANT TO!!! AND DRINK IF YOU WANT TO:drinker: !!!

HAPPY BDAY GORGEOUS!!
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey your birthday only comes once a year, I say have a few drinks and a piece of cake!! As long as you get right back on track tomorrow you'll be fine!

Happy birthday!!
  • Alafia22
    Alafia22 Posts: 112
    Options
    Ty guys so much!!! :-)
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    Options
    I agree with the girls above me - you only turn 24 once, honey. Go out and celebrate! And tomorrow, you'll be right back on the path to your goal.

Happy birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Eh... personally I would say choose one or the other.... whichever one you want more. (I'd choose cake!) :bigsmile: But it's true that if you work out harder tomorrow and get back on track, you'll be alright either way. Happy birthday!

Oh, and I recommend logging it no matter what. But that's just me.
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    This is a great question... my birthday is next week and was wondering the same thing!
    I'll be 29! :grumble:
    Thanks for asking!
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!! PLANNING is the key - and kudos to you for giving it some consideration!! :drinker: I say go ahead and have a drink or two and a small piece of cake. Stop at whatever limit you've made for yourself - there is great power inself control. You'll feel great that you made a choice and stuck to it and you'll have no reason to have any "morning after" guilt! Enjoy yourself!
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    First of all, happy b-day!! :flowerforyou:

Secondly, I would say go for it as long as you remember to get back on track tomorrow and get back into your routine. :smile:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    It's not the special celebration day that does us in - it's being indulgent all the time that does us in!! Celebrate your birthday and tomorrow workout and get right back to eating healthy. It's good that you are going out and not cooking a bunch of special stuff that will be laying around the house tempting you!!

Enjoy! - Today is my b-day also, though I am slightly older than you :tongue:
  • Luludog1
    Luludog1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I agree, have both...there are a lot of low cal drink options out now..like bacardi and diet coke or bud select. As for the cake...indulge...its your B-day, live it up.
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    Indulging even once a week helps your body do a reboot of your metabolism so for your birthday it will be fine. Just don't get hammered and pass out - WAY TO MANY CALORIES AT THAT POINT:laugh:
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Indulge but do not over-indulge, or you will just feel miserable the next day. enjoy your birthday. Try to drink lower calorie drinks, ie. vanilla vodka/diet coke, or if you drink beer try mgd-64 or michelob ultra.

Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :happy:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Imho...

I would indulge that night FOR SURE!!!!

I would however, eat very light during the day to compensate (yet at the same time, a big hit of calories, all at once, can do a dieting body good, as long as you get right back to calorie cutting at the next meal!).

Here is an E.g. of what I would do....

Workout hard (-500 calories)
    Breakfast - protien shake (180 calories)
    Snack - veggies and dip (100 calories)
    Lunch - lean meat, steamed veggies (300 calories)
    Snack - 1 litre of water, apple (70 calories)
    Dinner - drinks, cake, fried food, etc (1000 calories)
    TOTALS = 1650 calories - exercise 500 = 1150 net calories

Btw... consuming 1000 calories after you have been restricting calories will most likely leave you feeling stuffed like a Thanksgiving dinner... you probably won't even go that high!

NO damage done!!!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Work out like heck to burn lots of calories, make wise choices in what you are eating and drink lower calorie alcohol if you must.

Remember that alcohol lowers your inhibitions, which also means you could eat more higher calorie foods. Birthdays are special, but only you know if you can live with yourself after indulging too much.
  • Alafia22
    Options
    Aww!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MTGIRL!!
  • Alafia22
    Options
    PureandHealthy.... That's what I was thinking. and YES Cake always trumps Drinks. Maybe I'll have a light beer or white wine....
  • Alafia22
    Options
    Thanks DBG1, I'll try to remember that, lol
  • Alafia22
    Options
    AJCM, that sounds like an awesome idea. I haven't had breakfast yet, so i think i'll go with that plan... (and opt against the pancakes, lmao)
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    AJCM's plan is perfect!
    Go with that & have a great day!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Not to steer you down the wrong path...but on my birthday, I eat WHATEVER I want. Having one small piece of cake and a couple low cal drinks just doesn't do it for me becasue I still feel limited. I want to totally forget about MFP(but I do love it so) for one day and eat as I would if I didn't care. That's not to say I make it a point to eat 5 pieces of cake or anything like that, but I just don't think about weightloss at all on days like that. It's how I stay sane.

It's only ONE day....work out before hand if you have time and get back on track tomorrow. But you only turn 24 once, and before you know it you'll be 30 (like me :cry: ) so enjoy!