Aspirin's fat burning mechanism found

Options
Just saw this article on reddit. Any sci-nerds wanna help us determine how/if this impacts weight loss?

:drinker:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/04/20/3481356.htm

Aspirin's fat burning mechanism found

Carolyn Herbert
ABC
Friday, 20 April 2012

It may be great for curing a splitting headache, but scientists have now discovered that aspirin also activates an enzyme that burns fat, a finding that could unlock its cancer fighting properties, according to a new study.

Previous research has shown that once ingested, aspirin breaks down into salicylate, a compound derived from plants such as willow bark, and used as a drug for thousands of years. Ancient Egyptians recorded the medicinal use of willow bark in their manuscripts.

In the 1890s, pharmaceutics developed a modified form of salicylate to make it less irritating to the stomach - creating the drug aspirin.

More recently, research has known that salicylate triggers a molecular pathway that leads to pain relief.

Now a team led by Professor Grahame Hardie, a cell biologist at the University of Dundee in Scotland, has discovered how salicylate affects metabolism. They report their findings today in the journal Science.

Hardie and his team suspected that salicylate affected an enzyme known as AMPK, which is a key regulator of cell metabolism.

To test this, researchers compared a control group of mice, with another group that lacked a sub-unit of the AMPK enzyme. They injected both groups of mice with salicylate and measured the rate at which they utilised fat.

They found that the mice with AMPK were able to burn fat at a faster rate. This indicated that salicylate switches on AMPK, increasing the breakdown of fat.

"It's exciting that we've discovered salicylates are working in a new and different way to what we originally thought," says Hardie.

Implications for cancer
Hardie says recent studies have shown that people who take aspirin over long time periods appear to have a lower incidence of cancer. But doctors warn against prolonged aspirin use, which can cause stomach bleeding.

"I'm particularly interested in these protective effects against cancer," says Hardie. "Further research may help us discover another way of taking salicylate, other than aspirin, which has fewer side-effects."

He explains that anti-cancer effects may be due to the activity of AMPK, as diabetic drugs that target AMPK in cells are also associated with a reduced incidence of cancer.

Dr Briony Forbes, a biochemist at the University of Adelaide, says findings in this study are likely to explain recently identified protective effects against cancer by aspirin.

"The surprising finding that salicylate promotes AMPK activity also opens up exciting avenues for diabetes prevention and treatment."

The study was supported by the Wellcome Trust.

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    This must be the reason its included in a ECA stack..Aspirins also supposedly very good for thinning the blood to stave off heart problemsin low doses..
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A lean body does not come in a pill.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    A lean body does not come in a pill.

Well, that's a given. But it's still an interesting find worth my curiosity.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    This must be the reason its included in a ECA stack..Aspirins also supposedly very good for thinning the blood to stave off heart problemsin low doses..

That's what I thought of: people who take an aspirin in the morning for a healthy heart. I wonder if they might be more apt to burn fat?
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Oh this is brilliant! When people start downing tons of aspirin in an effort to lose weight, it will do what we in health care call "job creation", which is to say, we'll have thousands of new patients coming in with life threatening GI bleeds. I guess there'll be no shortage of overtime. :drinker:
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Oh this is brilliant! When people start downing tons of aspirin in an effort to lose weight, it will do what we in health care call "job creation", which is to say, we'll have thousands of new patients coming in with life threatening GI bleeds. I guess there'll be no shortage of overtime. :drinker:

Wait...what?
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Haha that's what I was thinking.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Wait...what?

Large doses of aspirin can cause bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract. People are quick to jump on the "magic weight loss pill" bandwagon, so they'll start downing a lot of aspirin, leading to lots of GI bleeding, leading to "job creation" in the medical field, as the above poster jocularly referred to it as.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Too much aspirin is bad for the gut.

Also, this is a study done on mice. Not relevant to humans. On its own, it means nothing.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I was thinking Badger. A friend's husband had that happen from taking it for his heart. Ended up with pin size holes burnt into his stomach & intestine.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Wait...what?

Meaning that aspirin affects the body's blood clotting and can cause serious bleeding in the stomach and other areas like the brain so not to be taken indiscriminately. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I take aspirin right now for my headaches and stuff, but I wouldn't mind that added benefit. The problem really is that this is posted here but the referenced study is not... Don't want to go there until you know the unit per ounce ratio...

Just remember, that when they "proved" that aspartame caused cancer, that was based on mice... But it was debunked because when you adjusted for the average human, the dosage that caused cancer would be like eating 2lbs of straight aspartame every day.

Lots of things are very beneficial in small amounts, and detrimental in high doses. That's kind of the idea behind homeopathic medicine.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't take the aspirin, EC stack by itself will work just fine.
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    So there are a few unintended side effects. What's a little gastrointestinal ulcerated bleeding and kidney damage and corpse reanimation among a statistically irrelevant (unless it includes yourself) number of customers... We've just been taken one step closer to the Zombie Apocalypse in the names of miracle science and better health, no less!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Ya ever notice at the end of the Bayer commercials they say to consult with your doctor before starting an aspirin regimen? They say that for a reason.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yea, I wouldn't recommend just taking aspirin lol ^_^ There are safer ways to burn fat.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    But yes upregulating AMPK increases fatty acid oxidation. AMPK is like an energy meter for your body. It blocks genes that make fatty acids and upregulates genes that shuttle fatty acids into the mitochondria where they're used for energy.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Oh, well I know that taking aspirin as a fat burner is a ridiculous idea. I have no intention of ever taking any medicine regularly, especially daily, if I can avoid it.

I guess I didn't think about the dumbasses. Never do. :laugh:

I couldn't care less about people abusing or not abusing medicine. I am just curious and exploring the topic. :)

songbyrdsweet: Thank you. That was exactly the type of insight I was after. :drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Oh, well I know that taking aspirin as a fat burner is a ridiculous idea. I have no intention of ever taking any medicine regularly, especially daily, if I can avoid it.

I guess I didn't think about the dumbasses. Never do. :laugh:

I couldn't care less about people abusing or not abusing medicine. I am just curious and exploring the topic. :)

songbyrdsweet: Thank you. That was exactly the type of insight I was after. :drinker:

You're welcome! :) AMPK is actually a re-occurring theme in my lab since we study skeletal muscle metabolism. It's influenced in a lot of ways just by training/nutritional status, etc. Not surprised about the aspirin...it knocks out your gut bacteria, and no gut bacteria = higher AMPK activity.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    You're welcome! :) AMPK is actually a re-occurring theme in my lab since we study skeletal muscle metabolism. It's influenced in a lot of ways just by training/nutritional status, etc. Not surprised about the aspirin...it knocks out your gut bacteria, and no gut bacteria = higher AMPK activity.

Oh wow! I had no idea gut bacteria was even a factor. That's really interesting. Thank you again for the great reply!

I know this is kind of a tangent, but it's really amazing how internal bacteria levels can drastically change body function. It seems to affect just about everything.