All you can eat sushi?

Options
One of my favourite meals is all-you-can-eat sushi at this great restaurant. I'm just worried that it's going to foil my attempts!

I usually go for a really late lunch after not eating all morning. I eat mostly salmon-based sushi, but I'm also hooked on the Spicy Beef Udon Soup. I avoid anything tempura, and the rolls aren't huge or anything. They also use much more meat or veggies than rice.

Is it really bad to do this a couple times a month? I don't want to give up my sushi :(

Replies

• PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Sushi is an AWESOME low cal food. I LOVE it. Just go armed with knowledge. Google some nutritional info and know what you're getting into. Sushi can MOST DEF be enjoyed in appropriate portions. Mmmm.... wanting some for lunch now. :love:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I love my sushi too, and if you try and take it away from me, be prepared to lose a limb or two! :laugh:

I eat it a couple of times a month as well, I just make sure that I plan for it first. We don't have an all you can eat place around here, which is probably a good thing... I can eat a lot of sushi! I might single handedly put them out of business.

Anyway, I would say no, this is not a bad thing. Avoid the temptation to stuff yourself silly, and make sure you log it all and work it all off.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Enter a sushi roll in to the food log and you'll be shocked how much a roll has in fat, calories and sodium.. im a sushi fan big time and eat it at least once a month until i saw how many calories 1 roll had .. i normally eat the avo and eel, salmon, tuna and omg i was shocked of just how much it had... I wouldn't do the all you can eat cause if your like me you can put down some sushi and not even realize how much you just ate... I would look up each roll that you love and figure out how many calories it has and then choice only those ones...
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    190 for 8 pieces of a salmon avocado roll is high in calories??? Personally, I consider that low cal...? I'm sure it varies with what you get... I'm a brown rice and veggies, sometimes salmon kind of girl. Like I said... just do a little research and know what you're eating. And log everything.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I go for sushi, I will always do a veggie roll with brown rice, and then something like a salmon and avocado roll. Also, I go with a friend so that we can split the two rolls and then have a little of each. It sounds like you are aware of the not so healthy items that can be added to sushi (spicy oil, mayo in the crab, and tempura) so as long as you go easy on those items you should be okay. I always like to eat some steamed edamame as an appetizer too.
  • blackbeltfairy
    Options
    *relief*

I could not go without sushi, so it's good to know that it's pretty low-cal! I was worried, because I know that raw salmon is pretty high in fat.
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think the only real "badness" with sushi may be the rice itself. Not only is it rice, but I've heard some sushi masters mix butter into the rice to aid in it's stickiness. Of course anything tempura would be warned against. And maybe if they are covering it with those yummy sauces!

Spicy Eel, Yeah!
  • verykristin
    Options
    Sushi is low-cal, high protein and great for you. It's the "all-you-can-eat" factor that can ruin your diet. But it sounds like you are making smart choices. :glasses:

216914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The fat from fish isn't bad for you, same with avocado. Hooray omega-3 fatty acids!
    The biggest thing is the amount of carbs from rice, plus sugar is usually added for real sushi rice. Brown/dirty rice is a better option if they have it available, though many fancier sushi places won't offer it.

Do watch out for the amount of sodium from soy sauce, pickled ginger, and the soup.

Also, watch the mayo in mayo based rolls, and spicy rolls.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    You can order udon with half the noodles and that will cut a lot of excess carbs and calories. Also sashimi is better then sushi, but I'm not a huge sashimi fan. Also edamame beans, miso soup (35 - 50 calories). Simple veggie rolls aren't that bad. Also the sodium in the soy sauce is quite high, but just drink a lot of water. mmmmmm sushi!
  • abbie3857
    abbie3857 Posts: 12
    Options
    I think that the other thing to keep in mind is that the majority of what is listed on this site (and most sites I'm sure) are the pre boxed rolls that you would find in a cafteria or grocery store. I'm not knockin em - some are really good! But they tend to use different methods to make them look better, stay fresher, etc. A real sushi bar should be alot healthier for you as long as you choose wisely.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    My only word of caution is that you say you go there after not eating anything all morning.....

By eating within a very short period of waking (or, if you exercise first thing, eating within a very short period after finishing your workout) you increase your metabolism by up to 30% all day (numbers in studies vary from 20-30%).

For example, if you don't eat breakfast, you may only burn 1500 calories that day. If you ADD breakfast, you could potentially burn 30% more, which would be 1950!!!!

That would mean, that by adding a healthy breakfast of 300 calories, you would stand to burn 450 MORE (and the brekky is only 300 cals!!).

Bottom line - don't skip breakfast - EVER!!! You need a good rest of no food in your body over night - so that your organs can repair, and systems can clean out, but you need to refuel as soon as possible in the morning. Numerous studies have shown a high correlation between obesity and breakfast skipping.

Good luck and enjoy that sushi!
    :flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I think that the other thing to keep in mind is that the majority of what is listed on this site (and most sites I'm sure) are the pre boxed rolls that you would find in a cafteria or grocery store. I'm not knockin em - some are really good! But they tend to use different methods to make them look better, stay fresher, etc. A real sushi bar should be alot healthier for you as long as you choose wisely.

Or learn to make your own :) Sushi is amazingly simple and fun to make if you have the will to learn. Nothing like having a bunch of friends over for a sushi night!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options

Or learn to make your own :) Sushi is amazingly simple and fun to make if you have the will to learn. Nothing like having a bunch of friends over for a sushi night!

MMmm... I :heart: that idea! I just don't know if I could roll it up right! I'm mesmerized when I watch them make it at my organic grocer. :love:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options

MMmm... I :heart: that idea! I just don't know if I could roll it up right! I'm mesmerized when I watch them make it at my organic grocer. :love:
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    mmmmm sushi rocks!!!! My mother in law owns a sushi bar and I am working on getting her to start making brown rice.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    :heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart: :love: