RED WINE...

organicem
organicem Posts: 16
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi Guys. So I am new to this 'healthy lifestyle concept':blushing: ... and I am trying to "healthify" :laugh: my weekly girls night (tuesday night)... to give you a run down of the usual routine... we have apps. dinner, and drinks... and even dessert sometimes... so for tonight we have cut out the dessert... and apps are going to be super healthy: homeade hummus, veggies, etc. dinner is a yummy spicy chicken dish... anyways I have the food down... it is the drinks I am worried about... so I thought that we should try red wine... what do you guys think?

which red wines are good? is it worth it to switch from beer to wine in terms of health benefits, calories etc... sorry for all the questions I have never been a wine drinker but it seems like a better choice for our dinner & drinks night :smile:

PS. We did consider cutting out the drinks... but that is not going to happen... it is kind of our one night to get everyone togther... and enjoy a drink or two... (tuesday, weird i know... :wink: )

Replies

• lizzie84
    lizzie84 Posts: 54
    Merlot is great with dinner and not so bad in calories. I've been drinking sauvignon blanc lately and by the end of the day I have enough calories left over for 3 glasses. If you find something with even less calories, I want to know!!
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Red Wine - 120 calories(6 oz)
    white wine spritzer(3oz wine, 3 oz diet sprite) = 60 calories

mgd-64 - 64 calories
    michelob ultra - 95 calories

vanilla vodka/diet 65 calories
    citris vodka tonic water 65 calories
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Most of the wines are about the same in calories I think. And of course dependant on how big a glass you're drinking out of! Red wines (in moderation) are supposed to have components in it to aid in heart health. But they also though contain tannins that sometimes can give people headaches.

I love wine, I am pretty much an exclusive wine drinker. A lot of people start out with the "starter wines" like blush and zinfindels. They are sweeter. Most of the reds are pretty dry, such as Merlot, Cabernets and even Shiraz. Chardonnays are considered a dry white wine. And then there are the dessert wines like Port, Muscato, Riesling and Gewürztraminer. A Pinot Grigio may be considered a nice "middle of the road" wine by some. It's all going to be up to your particular tastes. Go to a wine tasting some day at your local winery. Great way to see what you like without spending a lot of money.

Happy tasting!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    had posted this on another post a while back...If you are going to have a drink, I say drink what you want since the calories have very little to do with how alcohol affects your body. I will choose a Guinness over a light beer any day!! I just make sure it's not EVERY day!

It really has nothing to do with the amount of calories in alcohol but the type of calories and how it's metabolized. There are 7 calories per gram in alcohol, 9 grams per calorie in fat. So it's very close.
    When alcohol has to metabolize through your liver, it's cuts down the fat burning process up to 73%. I won't go into too much technical mumbo jumbo on the liver and fat enzymes.

This is just the short answer. There are a ton of articles on the web about the effects of alcohol on the metabolism. I hope some of this helps. Unless it's a special occasion, I would steer clear of the stuff. It can make or break you.
This discussion has been closed.