Why am I so tired?

Options
cfriend71
cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
Hi - I have been dieting for about 3 weeks now. I am using Shakeology once a day (I have forgotten to drink it a day here and there but for the most part I'm replacing a meal with it). The rest of the day's meals are pretty lean, healthy, low fat, low carb etc. I am finding with my diary that I am under my carb goal and fat goal everyday, but I lost 2 lbs so far. So could it be the lack of carbs making me tired? I worked out pretty vigorously this week too, so maybe that could be making me exhausted? My legs hurt badly yesterday but now they are starting to feel better. But sometimes when I get up from sitting, I feel dizzy. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• coopersmom2006
    Options
    How many calories are you netting each day? Are you working out too? Might need to up your calories.
  • cfriend71
    Options
    MFP told me 1200 so that's what I've been eating, but on the days I exercise I usually eat maybe 1/2 of the exercise calories, not all of them. If I don't exercise, I just stay under or at the 1200.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    are you drinking plenty of water?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have been dieting for about 3 weeks now. I am using Shakeology once a day (I have forgotten to drink it a day here and there but for the most part I'm replacing a meal with it). The rest of the day's meals are pretty lean, healthy, low fat, low carb etc. I am finding with my diary that I am under my carb goal and fat goal everyday, but I lost 2 lbs so far. So could it be the lack of carbs making me tired? I worked out pretty vigorously this week too, so maybe that could be making me exhausted? My legs hurt badly yesterday but now they are starting to feel better. But sometimes when I get up from sitting, I feel dizzy. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Could be a sign of hypoglycemia, in which case you may need more carbs. That is how I feel when my sugar gets too low. I also have low blood pressure, and if my pressure drops that happens too. I would honestly go get a physical to make sure it is not the sign of something more serious.

Also, the body does need healthy fats - are you getting enough Omegas in your diet?

You may not be fueling your body properly with only 1200 calories. I teach nutrition and weight loss at my job...let me figure out your numbers. What is your height, weight, age, and activity level including work and working out?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    MFP told me 1200 so that's what I've been eating, but on the days I exercise I usually eat maybe 1/2 of the exercise calories, not all of them. If I don't exercise, I just stay under or at the 1200.

Yeah, eat more especially since you've been working out so much. Don't worry, you will continue to lose, but since you're closer to your goal, it'll be slower than it is now. Just be patient and work hard. You'll get there.

P.S. I could not keep up low carb, because I felt exhausted most of the time. Try eating more carbs, and see if that helps also.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Netting 1200 at the least is good. I would say try eating back all your exercise calories. If they are calculated correctly then you will never gain weight eating them back. You might just be getting used to your new lifestyle. Give it a few more weeks, it might take a bit for your body to realize you're not going to starve haha
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar???????? Just a thought.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If you're working out really hard, you're going to need some extra carbs for your body to use a fuel. Not a ton more, and if they're good carbs, you're fine. Also make sure you're getting plenty of water.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    was averaging around 1200 calories for a little while, but it wasnt enough and I would get all dizzy and weak feeling. I upped my calories and adjusted what I was eating to be much healthier, and more filling and I am feeling much better now. And I generally eat back all my exercise calories, it is the only way that I can keep this up. Good luck! You will find lots of different thoughts on this subject so be prepared. What works for me may not actually work for everyone.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I'd consult a doc if I were you. Sounds like you aren't eating enough and may have an electrolyte imbalance. Take it seriously. I'd say start eating back all of your exercise calories and drink plenty of fluids. When you speak to the doc have him run a blood panel. I was tired all the time and came to find out that my iron was terribly low. Now I take supplements and am back to my old self again. Feel better.

(I've been an AEMT for 13 years and as always I say I am not an expert and this is just my medical opinion.)

Meri
  • nikki_b78
    Options
    Hi, Having been on my diet for 10 months now my weight was 97.9 kgs and am at 64 kgs now.
    When i first started i felt just like you are feeling now it's just your body now trying to get used to the new diet and the exercise don't let your mind think you need to eat more, you only need to eat more if your actually feeling hungry.

But it sounds like your doing everything right so far oh and for your sore or aching muscles your should try a bath with soda crystals you can find them in your local supermarket in the washing isle or personal products isle. Also if your legs are hurting the next day don't stop exercising best thing for it is to exercise again the pain will go away with more exercise.

I myself eat under my carbs level each day just make sure your getting plenty of green vegies in your diet and water and also you should be making sure your getting your 8hours of sleep each night as you do actually lose weight in your sleep.
    Well i hope this helps you.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    check your iron levels!

that was happening to me....I would nap n the middle of the day and all! My period became irregular and due to low iron, my body wouldnt let me have my cycle. after i started taking supplements, my period started back(TMI) BUT TRUE!!....our bodys protect us fromourselves!

Noticed on MFP it would say 'low iron' percentages...I remember visiting my doctor because i was tired, she checked my blood and iron levels were low. she had me take iron supplements. a couple of days later I felt like a new woman!

recalling that time, I started taking them again and felt better! after meeting w/ my nutritionist 2 wks ago she said women need more iron and to be sure to take the supplements to keep levels up. So I've been taking several times a week. My GNC multi vitamin didnt include iron!! so need to take a supplement. Plus, low carb, you arent getting iron from the 'normal' foods. plus I cut red meat, so iron was also low from that too.

Hope this helps! Checkout my forum post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/556885-tips-from-my-nutritionist-i-wasn-t-losing-anymore-eek

take care, happy journey
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Food combos could make your blood sugar spike and drop causing the dizziness. Make sure you eat protein/carbs/healthy fat together never by themselves to keep sugar spikes from happening. I was tired all the time and my vitamin D was low and I had a very messed up adrenal system.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hydration is important, as someone mentioned. But the feeling dizzy thing could be a number of things. Check blood pressure and pulse as soon as you can. Not alarming but just something you can monitor. If it is low it could explain your dizzy episodes. On the tired thing I have found B complex vitamins to help me. So you might look at that. In short lifestyle change associated with diet, nutrition and and exercise is something that requires some attention if you are looking for results. The results will come if you put in the "work".
  • cfriend71
    Options
    Thanks everyone, a lot of great info. I'm going to call my doctor Monday morning and ask for a blood panel. I did have an iron deficiency in the past, so it could be creeping up on me again... I never thought of it because I had taken iron therapy and it seemed to take the problem away. This was a couple years ago and I have felt ok since but now that I'm strict on the diet again and working out maybe that's what it is.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Basically you've had several people say what I was going to say.... eat more, drink more water, get your levels checked if it continues. I don't do well on 1200 calories a day and I NEVER net less than that even on not hungry days. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
  • cfriend71
    Options
    Thanks so much and I'll update when I get it checked. You guys and gals are great!