Under-Estimating when eating out

Options
When I eat out, I estimate what the calories are to the best of my abilities. Usually the next day I've gained 2 or 3 pounds. I think I underestimate a lot. I actually looked up some of the meals online and i was under by as much as 700 calories for the main course and 400 calories for dessert. I'm pretty good at estimating what I cook but eating out is a nightmare. I think that's why so many people are not losing and hitting plateaus. DO YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM?

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    You're not gaining 2 or 3 pounds over night because you under estimate and over eat by 1100 caloies. You have to over eat by 7,000 to 10,000 calories to gain that much in fat. More likely you are seeing water weight due to the notoriously high sodium levels in restaurant food.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Yeah, eating out means you're probably eating a lot of sodium. That'll cause you to retain weight in water which explains the weird way scales go up the day after you order takeout or go to a restaurant.

My advice would be to not order dessert when going out. Get some coffee instead, if you must. For the main dish - the key is to get something not fried. Try fish, or a cut of meat, or grilled chicken, and skip the starchy sides for vegetables instead. If you can get a meal out as close to "home cooked" as possible you will be much better at guessing what kind of calories you're eating.

Even better, plan ahead where you'll be going and look up the nutrition online. That's what I like to do. It pays to be prepared.
  • rachaellynn91
    Options
    I have the same issue when I go out I think I'm being healthier by ordering something different, lighter than what I normally would but it turns out its just as much. It's crazy how many calories are in one serving at a restaurant sized dish!
  • bosulli1
    bosulli1 Posts: 33
    Options
    I think this is definitely affecting me. Even after trying to scope out menus, avoiding sauces, and skipping dessert, the scale isn't budging. I'm at a plateau around halfway to my goal, and it's so frustrating. I really can't avoid restaurants and events though because of what I do. Any strategies???
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You're not gaining 2 or 3 pounds over night because you under estimate and over eat by 1100 caloies. You have to over eat by 7,000 to 10,000 calories to gain that much in fat. More likely you are seeing water weight due to the notoriously high sodium levels in restaurant food.

This ^
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

THIS.

But it is possible that you're underestimating as well and I'm sure that doesn't HELP.

I try to look up nutrition information BEFORE I go out (or use the app on my phone to look up info before I order) and always ask for things to be cooked with no oil, or butter. I guess I could also ask for no added salt, too...
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    in a word... sodium.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    Usually I try to figure out what I'm going to get ahead of time and actually look it up. If not, this is where the MFP app/smart phones come in handy. This is the one time I will allow myself to have the phone at the table.
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I bought the 400 Calorie Fix book and it turned out to be an extremely useful tool for me to get a handle on portions, particularly when dining out. It clued me in to the fact that I used to drastically underestimate when I had meals out. I don't do the diet these days, but still use the book for a handy reference.

Also, definitely watch sodium as others said. I can always tell when I've gone overboard on the sodium when I step on the scale.
  • jsuswpt
    jsuswpt Posts: 4
    Options
    This is sooo easy to do!! I can't estimate calories, I have to look them up. If I can't do that I always intend ;-) to only eat half or even 1/3 of my meal and eat slowly enjoying the people at the table so I can be more aware of when I'm full. Just went to mexican tonight and I ordered 3 Tacos al Carbon because they're simple, the meat is full flavored and comes in three instead of one giant burrito.

Luckily in my county restaurants that have four or more places have to post the calorie counts of all menu items so I know how to avoid all the 2,000 calorie meals ;-0
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    When I eat out, I estimate what the calories are to the best of my abilities. Usually the next day I've gained 2 or 3 pounds. I think I underestimate a lot. I actually looked up some of the meals online and i was under by as much as 700 calories for the main course and 400 calories for dessert. I'm pretty good at estimating what I cook but eating out is a nightmare. I think that's why so many people are not losing and hitting plateaus. DO YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM?

Fat loss or gain is not going to reflect on the scales the day after. You have retained water. To gain 2-3lbs of fat you would have needed to consume 7000+calories over your TDEE (of approx 2000).

Going out to eat is an enjoyable occasion, don't stress over every last calorie, make a guess about it and move on.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I always do the best I can and try to OVER-estimate if I can. If it is a chain restaurant, type in the restaurant name with the entree. Many (Chili's, McDonalds, O'Charleys etc) menu items are listed from the website in MFP. Truth be known... Calories are never exact! Really. Who is to say that one piece of chicken is exactly 6 oz when it is apparent that one will be 6 oz, another 6.25 and another 5.75... I mean think about mayo... One cook will smear it on and another use it sparingly.. These guys are not using measuring devices ... They are throwing it on the grill ... It gives us an idea of what we are consuming but as far as accuracy.. We are probably at least a couple of hundred calories off just about any day of the week... one way or another. The best we can do is the best we can do... It will all "come out in the wash".. After all, I see your progress bar... You have lost over 60 lbs... You are doing just fine with your eating/exercise plan. Keep up the good work and don't sweat the details.
  • jwalent
    jwalent Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the water weight. I am an RN new to MFP. But, in nursing, we have a saying for our patients. "A kilo gained is a liter retained." It refers to the change of weight of hospitalized patients. Obviously talking about water weight.
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    I keep my calories low enough when I am not eating out that it would be hard to go over my weekly goal in one meal out. So I focus on the sodium instead. That water weight is the bane of my existence!!
    I also don't like to check stuff on my phone at a resturant though, so I look it up before going when I can and just make the best choices I can otherwise. Eat slow, drink lots of water (usually only have half my meal this way) and enjoy everyones company. If I know I am going to go over I make sure at least it is worth it. Pizza or Chinese? Not worth it for me...but steak and garlic mashed potatoes is.
  • Randomcheese
    Randomcheese Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The phone ap is really handy for this. I can't think of an entree that I can't find in the MFP system. One of my co-workers is on the Weight Watchers plan and has their phone ap. MFP's database kicks butt! I don't know that I would be able to use the MFP resource effectively without having the ap on my phone.

Also, if I can't find the exact item, I just look for an equivalent item. If there is more than one, I choose the one with the most calories! :)