Chicken Breast: How much is 6 oz?

Options
So, if I say I had 6 oz of grilled chicken breast...is this weighed or measured in a cup? How much is 6 oz? I don't have a way to weigh it. Last time I entered generic chicken breast info in my food diary I was told the measurements didn't look right so this time I'm checking. Any ideas? Sorry for the ignorance. I'm not a cook....yet. :-)

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Get a scale. I got mine at walmart for 25 bucks.

I always estimated my meat. I was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Weight. A food scale is really worth the investment.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    6 ounces is weight for a chicken breast. Not volume (measured with a measuring cup).
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Even reading the generic "one serving of meat is the size of a deck of playing cards" I was literally 100% off. What I thought was 3 oz was 6...
  • angemarie23
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I guess since I have 500 calories left for the night...I can log about half that and that leaves room for whatever I missed. I'll have a small piece. Thanks!
  • angemarie23
    Options
    My postal scale says it's 5.8 oz. I guess that will have to be close enough! lol
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    This may help: http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions

3 ounces grilled/baked fish or chicken ---- checkbook
    3 ounces cooked meat, fish, poultry ---- your palm, a deck of cards or a cassette tape

So 6 oz of chicken is two checkbooks, two decks of cards, or two cassette tapes.
  • kacbldmm07
    Options
    This may help: http://caloriecount.about.com/article/when_you_cant_measure_estimate_portions

3 ounces cooked meat, fish, poultry ---- your palm, a deck of cards or a cassette tape

So 6 oz of chicken is two checkbooks, two decks of cards, or two cassette tapes.

I like this. Thanks!
  • angemarie23
    Options
    Thank you very much. That matches up with what my postal scale said. (Still laughing at myself for using it) It's about the size of two decks of cards. I will leave the remaining calories untouched for the day just in case I over-estimated the size. Thanks for helping a newbie to the cooking world. :-)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My postal scale says it's 5.8 oz. I guess that will have to be close enough! lol

A postal scale is still a scale. If you don't want to buy a kitchen scale, this will work just fine.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

What's a "cassette tape"?

Just kidding. I'm super old.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy. I just count the breasts in the package and divide by the number of pounds in the package.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

What's a "cassette tape"?

lol! i vaguely remember those... :wink:

Just kidding. I'm super old.
  • sfrench79
    sfrench79 Posts: 10
    Options
    in weight watchers years back i was told ur palm not fingers was 4 oz. (so 3 or 4 )its still the serving size u were surpose to have
  • misslilylou
    misslilylou Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a kitchen scale. Right now I just have a cheap one I found at Target. It was under $10 I think, but it only measures up to 16 oz. Which is fine for me at the moment. Next time I have an influx of money, I'll probably buy a nicer, bigger one. I use it all the time now! When I measure out shredded cheese, it's really nice, because I learned I was always shorting myself when I just measured out a 1/4 cup, which is nice :) I think you need one!!
  • JethroXP
    JethroXP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Totally agree about getting a small digital kitchen scale. For packaged foods you'll notice that they typically describe the serving size in volume and weight. I've found that the volume measurement is usually way over what the weight should be. For example, a serving of my favorite cereal that is described as 1 cup / 55g, when weighing 1 level cup actually weighs 70g, which undercounts your calories by more than 25%. I weigh just about everything now. Most scales let you zero out the scale after you've added weight, so you can zero out the weight of a bowl or other container, then weigh only the contents you put into it.
  • cinziapalumbo
    cinziapalumbo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is 3oz chicken thickness / size of checkbook? I've been underestimating.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    seriously?

just get a scale.. it's not rocket science... just the regular kind of science.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy. I just count the breasts in the package and divide by the number of pounds in the package.

I do exactly the same thing :laugh:
  • JenX15
    JenX15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

QFT