#1: 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
I'm reading a book called "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth" which has some awesome information in it. I thought it would be fun to post a new food everyday from the book and why it's so good for you. I won't put all the detail in there (since some foods have pages of information), but I'll do a quick summary. Why not spread the wealth? The book is by Jonny bowden, Ph.D., C.N.S if anyone is interested in purchasing it.

The points (*) will be things that I've taken out of paragraphs and am summerizing.

Day 1: Artichokes

Artichokes are kind of like the lobster of the vegetable community-you have to really work to get a the good parts. The part that contains the meat is called teh "heart," even though it's technically the bottom of the plant. And it takes some digging to get there. Is it worth it? Definitely.

*Artichokes are a liver-cleansing food.
* Artichokes bring stomach relief.
* patients with chronic gastrointestinal upset who were given artichoke extract showed amazing improvement
* In one study 85% of patients experienced substantial relief from stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting
* can treat high cholesterol and triglycerides.
* prevents oxidation of LDL (bad cholesterol) which is definite risk factor for cardiovascular disease

Artichokes contain:
-72mg of magnesium
-425mg of potassium
-little bit of folate
-6 1/2g of fiber or 9g for a large one!
- only 60 calories! (76 for a large one)

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm reading a book called "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth" which has some awesome information in it. I thought it would be fun to post a new food everyday from the book and why it's so good for you. I won't put all the detail in there (since some foods have pages of information), but I'll do a quick summary. Why not spread the wealth? The book is by Jonny bowden, Ph.D., C.N.S if anyone is interested in purchasing it.

The points (*) will be things that I've taken out of paragraphs and am summerizing.

Artichokes are kind of like the lobster of the vegetable community-you have to really work to get a the good parts. The part that contains the meat is called teh "heart," even though it's technically the bottom of the plant. And it takes some digging to get there. Is it worth it? Definitely.

* patients with chronic gastrointestinal upset who were given artichoke extract showed amazing improvement
    * In one study 85% of patients experienced substantial relief from stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting
    * prevents oxidation of LDL (bad cholesterol) which is definite risk factor for cardiovascular disease

Artichokes contain:
    -72mg of magnesium
    -425mg of potassium
    -little bit of folate

You can also bake the artichoke whole. Then remove the petals one at a time, dip them in your choice of dip, put them between your teeth, and pull forward to scrape the pulp off of them. It's delicious, and really easy :)
  • natyasa
    natyasa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time posting this!

Artichokes are definitely my fave, let's see what else is good for us :)
  • lgolden
    lgolden Posts: 164
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info. I'll look forward to more! :flowerforyou:
  • stewartmn
    stewartmn Posts: 15
    Options
    This is great! Thanks for sharing! :happy:
  • 00Angela00
    Options

Artichokes contain:
    -72mg of magnesium
    -425mg of potassium
    -little bit of folate

You can also bake the artichoke whole. Then remove the petals one at a time, dip them in your choice of dip, put them between your teeth, and pull forward to scrape the pulp off of them. It's delicious, and really easy :)

mmm makes me want one. Only problem is my favorite way to eat it is by dipping it in mayo haha, I'll have to find a new dip ... suggestions anyone?
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    wow.... Interesting:happy:
  • 00Angela00
    Options
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

Artichokes contain:
    -72mg of magnesium
    -425mg of potassium
    -little bit of folate

mmm makes me want one. Only problem is my favorite way to eat it is by dipping it in mayo haha, I'll have to find a new dip ... suggestions anyone?

I like mine plain. Though, I used to dip them in melted butter but I don't think that is any better than mayo, probably worse.
  • aimeemorovics
    Options
    Do I have to wait 149 more days to know the rest of the healthies foods? :) LOL!!!
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Do I have to wait 149 more days to know the rest of the healthies foods? :) LOL!!!

Heck yes you do! haha, OR you could buy the book :tongue:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Artichokes contain:
    -72mg of magnesium
    -425mg of potassium
    -little bit of folate

Mix catsup with horseradish (think shrimp cocktail sauce).
  • firepixie
    firepixie Posts: 65
    Options
    how long do you bake them for. I found boiling a pain, I didn't have pot's big enough. Do you add some water to the baking dish?
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    how long do you bake them for. I found boiling a pain, I didn't have pot's big enough. Do you add some water to the baking dish?

I googled one way:

Braising Artichokes
    Usually considered a method of meat cookery, braising involves cooking food in seasoned liquid and is a nice way to give Artichokes extra flavor. In a large saucepan or pot, heat a small amount of olive oil, along with any savory ingredients you prefer (herbs, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper). Add about 2 cups of water, cover tightly, heat to boiling. Add Artichokes and cover tightly. Reduce heat and simmer until Artichokes are tender, about 25 to 40 minutes.

You can also braise in the oven. Brush Artichokes with olive oil and arrange in oven-safe pot or baking dish. Add lemon slices, garlic, salt and pepper, and water as above. Cover tightly with lid or foil and bake in 375°F oven until tender, about 45 minutes.

Boil liquid in pan until reduced to about 1/2 cup and use as a sauce for the Artichokes.
  • firepixie
    firepixie Posts: 65
    Options
    Thank you! Why didn't I think of that?
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    you can always dip the artichokes in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and oregano....I dip bread in this mixture when I'm being naughty and eating lots'o'carbs
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Great Idea, thanks for sharing with us Angela! :flowerforyou:
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Great Idea, thanks for sharing with us Angela! :flowerforyou:
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    bump

???
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I use frozen ones a lot. This recipe is really good, I subsitute chicken sausage for the hot italian sausage the original recipe calls for...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fusilli-with-sausage-artichokes-and-sun-dried-tomatoes-recipe/index.html

I love the idea of this thread, thanks!

Mary