Bridge to 10k?

Options
I'm 2 weeks and 1 day from finishing c25k, I am not really sure what to do with myself now. I really love running now! Of course i'm very new so I run veeerrry slowly. Should I take a couple of weeks at the end of c25k and just work at 30 mins per session trying to up my speed a bit, or should I just jump right into Bridge to 10k? Can I work on speed while working on distance/longer duration as well or do I need to do one at a time? Have you used the Bridge to 10k program, and if you did, did you like it?

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Never done C25K or Bridge, but there isn't really a reason you couldn't do workouts that incorporate length and speed, now that you have a base of running mileage.

What I like to do is make my shorter runs speed workouts, longer ones slower and easy, and then add hills in there somewhere for kicks. I don't follow set training rules or anything, just do what feels good for the day or week.

So long as you're not pushing yourself too fast or far, and you stay aware of your body, I would play around, see what makes you happy. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Since I finished the program I've just kept to the 3 days a week plan, and usually try to go for the three miles. It's funny, some days 3 miles is no problem, other days I'm dying at just 2. Then the next week I just keep going and bust out 4. :bigsmile: I managed to run 5 miles yesterday - my longest distance so far, and I'm feeling it today!

My pace on the shorter runs is improving, but for now, I'm mostly going for consistency in running 2-4 miles each run, three days a week. There's a 5k fun-run coming up next month, and I think I will register for that, and then go from there, possibly trying a 10k program.

Congrats on your c25k progress - you're almost there!
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    1st congrats on your upcoming C25K graduation!! :smile: If you haven't already done so I recommend signing-up for a 5K soon-- reward yourself by putting your training into action. After finishing it and running two 5K's I began the Bridge to 10K. It did not work well for me. I felt like I was backtracking with the intervals and began loosing my motivation. I decided to sign-up for a half-marathon (it is in two weeks). I found a training plan online that works with my schedule (a few 2-4 mile runs during the week with a long run on the weekends). Each week your long run is one mile longer-- so much better for me. As another member said I do speed work on one of my short runs each week. I am not fast but am consistent during my long runs and am not losing any time when adding the mileage. I think the fartleks are the reason. Happy running!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to finish week 3 of B210K and I love it.

This week is really when I found my groove and feel like I can just run and run and run.

I started B210K immediately after I finished C25K... right on my regular turn.

Tomorrow I'm actually planning to push the limits a bit and see if I can run at least 5 miles (my first two runs this week finished with about 4.4 miles, so I'll need to un an extra 8 minutes or so after the third 17 minute interval).

I'd recommend trying B210K if you liked C25K. Worst case you decide it isn't for you and look for the next thing.

Ted
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm looking for a 5k in May to sign up for that's local. I found one that's only about a week and a half after I finished c25k, so maybe i'll continue my regular 30 min runs until after that race and then try out Bridge to 10k...at this point i honestly don't think i'll be doing 3 miles in 30 minutes right on finishing c25k. :blushing: I'm slower than that lol, but i'd like to at least be able to run 3 miles through so that I have a bit of a mileage base to build on, something I can't do right now...
  • holmevik
    holmevik Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm no expert on this, but I have found that getting to 10K was pretty easy once you have finished C25K. All you have to do is keep running 2 and 3 milers during the week and add about 1/2 a mile to 1 mile to your weekend long runs every week and you'll be there with no trouble at all. The first 5K will be the hardest part, after that it comes down to motivation and determination. Good luck.