'Good' Alcohols?!?

Options
As far as alcohol goes, what's the best to have?? Are there any with particularly high/ low levels of carbs, sugars, calories, etc?!?

Replies

• mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bumpety bump bump!!!

(I drink vodka, blackcurrant cordial and either diet lemonade or soda....not sure if this is good or not) :drinker:
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bumpety bump bump!!!

(I drink vodka, blackcurrant cordial and either diet lemonade or soda....not sure if this is good or not) :drinker:
    Cheers to that, but I dunno if it's good either:)
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    I drink vodka (like rightnowIamdrinkingvodka). I know it's not good for you, but just plain vodka w/ seltzer water and lime/lemon is low calorie. Happy Friday! :drinker:
  • claireyf12
    claireyf12 Posts: 106
    Options
    i'm not advocating any alcohol as good for you however prone to a tipple myself i know that spirits with a diet mixer arent too bad cals wise and there are the low cal lagers (not tried them myself, prefer to have 'normal' lager) I also drink jacques which is a fruit cider which is 90 cals per 225ml, however i suspect it is loaded with sugar!!
    Hope this helps
    Claire :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I go for a Gin, fresh lime juice and Soda Water - not everyone's cup of tea, as it is not sweet at all - but works for me :-)
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    Bumpety bump bump!!!

Cordial makes me think of Anne of Green Gables! Which seems relevant when you're drinking. Also, if you do drink, keep snacks away.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I drink vodka (like rightnowIamdrinkingvodka). I know it's not good for you, but just plain vodka w/ seltzer water and lime/lemon is low calorie. Happy Friday! :drinker:

prettytothinkso - What an awesome sleeve ink - wow!!
  • prettytothinkso
    Options

prettytothinkso - What an awesome sleeve ink - wow!!

Thank you! I hope it looks better as I get slimmer and there's more definition :smile:

aaaaand hey, I'm originally from Palmerston North! Small internet!
  • leondrel
    leondrel Posts: 5
    Options
    Well, according to studies alcohol is good for you, in moderate amounts of course ;)

Here you can see that people that drink, die less =P

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10636266

As for calories, etc, spirits are the best, either with water or some 0 calorie drink, I've come to enjoy whiskey and coke zero

Just remember that the calories in the alcohol must be used first before other sources, as long as you're counting your alcohol intake within your total daily calories there shouldn't be a problem

I'm slimming down to the single digit fat percentages now and I still drink quite frequently, I just make sure to keep the calories in check

Just watch out for those snacks that become even more delicious when you're drinking, haha
  • monindro
    monindro Posts: 3
    Options
    extra dry martini
    = 60 ml gin + 20ml dry vermouth + 03 Nos olives .
    = 130 cal + 25 cal + 45 cal ( approx.)
    = 200 cal

or 155 cal ( don't eat olives) x 03 nos. drinks
    = 465 cal
    = 45-50 minutes of jogging/running !

Or as a thumb rule when u think of alcohol while on a weight loss programe
    remember
    1 Drink = 15-20 minutes on treadmill !
  • prettytothinkso
    Options

Just watch out for those snacks that become even more delicious when you're drinking, haha

This! No leftover pizza should be laying around. *shifty eyes*
  • kevglu
    kevglu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I go out drinking which is few and far between now I just don't care have fun and enjoy it
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've read in the magazine the other day, that glass of wine is actually good for weight loss- but I don't remembe why :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Ranked in order from (ROUGHLY) lowest to highest cal options

spirits + 0 cal mixer (60-80)
    red wine (180-120)
    light beer (100-130)
    sparkling wine (130-180)
    heavy beer (150-200)
    spirits + coke (200-230)
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Bumpety bump bump!!!

Cordial makes me think of Anne of Green Gables! Which seems relevant when you're drinking. Also, if you do drink, keep snacks away.

LMAO @ Anne of Green Gables! I remember that one. Now I feel old...too funny!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    the best kind? the one I pour in my mouth
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Red wine contains a substance called resveratrol which is supposed to help you lose weight. So I would say if you're going to drink, a glass or two of red wine here and there would be your best choice.

As a chemist, I can tell you that even PURE ALCOHOL is one of the MOST calorie-dense forms of "food" out there -- the only thing that packs more is fat. (Why do you think we can use ethanol to run our cars!?) The "proof" of a liquor tells you the percentage of alcohol it contains multiplied by two -- not sure why, but that is how they do it. So 90 proof is 45% alcohol.

If you'e looking for liquor, has fewer calories than most beer or wine and is LESS bad if you don't mix it or mix it with something that doesn't contain tons of sugar.
  • mmhartford
    mmhartford Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe that any alcohol slows matabolism. I drink Vodka over wine as I believe that alcohol is like a fruit and the sugars can create blood sugar spikes. Not an expert on this however.
  • thebrownstead
    thebrownstead Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on a yummy red wine? Thank you for the info! This is something I've been wondering about myself. My favorite drink is a Twisted Tea 1/2 & 1/2 at 240 calories a pop! YIKES!!!