Not seeing or feeling change!

I just joined this site, so I apologize if this topic has been posted recently. Anyway, I started my weight loss back in January. I was 171 pounds, the heaviest I have ever been. Today I weighed in at 148 pounds, more than a 20 pound loss. But I am still in the same size jeans, and I don't see any change in myself. I thought I would see some kind of change by now. The fact that I haven't is discouraging! Has anyone gone through the same thing? If you have, what did you do to stay motivated?? Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    we all lose weight in different areas faster than in others. for me its upper body, breasts, face, arms, waist..while my hips thighs and butt seem to lose slower..a lot slower
  • actresskat
    actresskat Posts: 120 Member
    Have you been taking photos of yourself every two weeks along with measurements? I expect there is a visible change but you don't see it. Evidence along the journey is the best motivation. Also are you working out as well? That can speed up seeing inch loss as well as weight loss.
  • actresskat
    actresskat Posts: 120 Member
    Oh, and lastly with regard to 'feeling' different if you're eating 'cleanly' e.g. lots of fruit and veg/brown bread and healthy carbs/protein then you will feel a lot better - lighter and more alert whereas if you're restricting calories and eating the same like perhaps sugary processed foods then you won't feel a lot different, if anything more tired and like you're 'on a diet'.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Welcome to MFP and congratulations on the weight loss. Whether or not you feel or notice much of a difference at the moment, you have lost more than the equivalent of a large bag of potatoes or 23 lbs. of butter and that is definitely something to feel good about. Keep up the good work.

We have no control over in what order the weight comes off and sometimes the first pounds are not that noticeable. I know many people say they don't notice much at first. I've heard people say things like with the first few lbs. the first thing they noticed was their arms or hands got smaller or even their shoe size had changed -- lol. If you had a picture of yourself in various poses from 3 months ago and a picture of yourself now you might be able to better see some of the places where the weight has been coming off, but it definitely has (the scale doesn't lie).

I'm sure with the next 10 lbs. you will start to see the differences and in the meantime just visualize that large sack of potatoes or all those sticks of butter that you are no longer carrying around on your body.

Again, congratulations and keep up the good work.:smile: