Oat So Simple

Options
I tried to porridge for the first time this morning. I got the original Quaker Oat so Simple sachets. I tipped it in a bowl, measured the milk and added, popped in the microwave for 2 minutes where it exploded :/ it came out really like stodgey? I topped it with some cinnamon and blueberries and I didn't really like the taste of it. I'm wondering if I cooked it right? Or is it better to do it on the hob? I really want to like it! Lol. Any advice would be wonderful :)

Replies

• chez8205
    chez8205 Posts: 3
    Options
    put a bit more milk in i had the same happened to me
  • actresskat
    actresskat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yep, more milk and less time. A minute in a microwave should do it (tops 1 1/2 mins). It won't explode at a minute as that's what I do.
  • janey2607
    janey2607 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I only cook mine for 1minute 30 seconds as it thickens up once taken out. I also use 1/2 milk 1/2 water.

Love it with blueberries, leave them to warm though in the porrige and its tastes like jam
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Try adding sultanas before you cook it, as they wil plump up in the microwavanita improve the taste of the porridge. it might also depend on the wattage of your microwave. Mine is really old so the porridge takes 2 1/2 minutes to cook.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    2 mins in the microwave is usually perfect for me, as long as I've measured the milk correctly.

I love the honey & almond flavour.
  • whenstars
    whenstars Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! I will give it another go in the morning :)
  • jammasterduggs
    Options
    Another easy route!

Boil a kettle, pour oats into a bowl, pour boiling water on top, stir and leave for 3-4 minutes (get dressed, put the cat out, make a smoothie, watch the news, go toilet ...) it has both cooled slightly to eat straight away and milk can be added if you like it runnier :) 1/2 oats 2/3 water :)