Will I lose weight with Whey protein

Am I going to lose weight if I drink weigh protein? Thanks!

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    i have had good luck with including protein shakes in my diet.... but I believe it's just part of eating high protein, high fiber that really helps.... high protein foods make you feel full longer, same with fiber. there's no guarantee that if you drink whey protein you'll lose weight. but including it into a healthy diet and exercise regime can't really hurt.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 743 Member
    If u create a defecit with your calories....sure!!! If you increase your calories by adding whey protein to your existing food routine ... No! ;)
  • Whey protein and all proteins for that matter are just easily digestible ways to up your protein intake. Protein helps repair and build muscle. I drink 2 shakes a day and consume between 80-100 grams. It won't necessarily help you lose weight though.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Er, I think there is more to it than that. If you are also following a healthy eating plan designed for you to lose weigh, then it can help you to lose weight if you inncrease your protein intake. Increasing your protein intake can help you to lose weight without significant muscle loss and therefore without decreasing your metabolism too much. I use whey protein because I am trying to build muscle (a long job, I know) and am following an eating plan that recommends 30% of calories from protein. The only way I can reach that goal without eating way too much meat or eggs (I love them but can't eat too many) is to supplement with whey protein.

You are not going to lose weight just by drinking whey protein. You have to do the rest of the hard work too. But it can help

Edit: looks like others got in before me to say more or less the same thing :happy:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Whey protein and all proteins for that matter are just easily digestible ways to up your protein intake. Protein helps repair and build muscle. I drink 2 shakes a day and consume between 80-100 grams. It won't necessarily help you lose weight though.

^^^ This. it's a protein supplement, especially useful for people like me who are deficient in protein from their food intake. I am a vegetarian and refuse to eat 600 calories worth of peanut butter for 19 g of protein.