If you stop eating after 6pm, will you lose more weigh

Options

Replies

• YessPixie
    YessPixie Posts: 17
    Options
    Nope it just depends on how much calories you ate during the day! If you still under you calorie goal the time you eat doesn't really matter :) You can even save calories during the day for your late night cravings!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    no,you will not lose more 'weigh'
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Some interesting thoughts, so if times doesnt matter, why do people say breakfast is important meal of day?
    Because everyone's always said that. Doesn't make it true.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Some interesting thoughts, so if times doesnt matter, why do people say breakfast is important meal of day?

Because dietary myths unfortunately get spread and people hang onto them rather than doing research.

There are no critically important meals of the day. All that matters is that you meet your nutritional requirements over the course of a reasonable time frame (daily would be a good start). Beyond personal preference it's not really that important how you spread out those nutrients over a day (2 meals vs 5 etc). Your body is smarter than you think.
  • kelseynrobinson
    Options
    My doctor actually recommended that I eat something before bed. It helps me sleep better, and keeps me from being super hungry when I wake up :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-600 of my 1500 cals at around 9pm. Doesn't effect my weight loss. I HAVE to save calories for this time! X
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you stop eating after 6pm, will you lose more weigh is this a myth or not, what are your thoughts?

IMHO,.no. I do believe that if you load heavy toward the beginning of the day... Large breakfast, moderate lunch, small dinner (King, Prince Pauper). This timing makes the most sense simply because food is fuel for the day's activities, therefore you have more energy to do more things as you are doing them. However, at the end of the day, it really does not matter how much you eat with regard to weight loss.. Your body uses X calories and you supply Y calories. If your body needs more energy that you feed it, it will get it from fat stores... As far as weight loss is concerned, the timing means nothing (again my opinion)... However, from a perspective of having readily available energy available for exercise and such, timing means a bit more (again my opionion and experience)....

That being said, if you eat a large meal before bedtime, don't be surprised if your scale reflects it the next morning.. But this is only temporary and not a real gain.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My doctor actually recommended that I eat something before bed. It helps me sleep better, and keeps me from being super hungry when I wake up :)

This makes sense.... Nothing wrong with that!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    IMHO,.no. I do believe that if you load heavy toward the beginning of the day... Large breakfast, moderate lunch, small dinner (King, Prince Pauper). This timing makes the most sense simply because food is fuel for the day's activities, therefore you have more energy to do more things as you are doing them.
    That's great if it works for you. But really this only makes sense because you're thinking of a day as an isolated event. You need to remember that if you always eat late, then you'll have that fuel to draw on in the morning. Time doesn't just reset during the night.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This is an ongoing myth. The issue with eating after 6pm-7pm is that the ones doing it have already met their calorie goal for the day and habitually like to eat at night. I'm a habitually late night eater so I skip breakfast so I can eat at night.
    The body doesn't know what time of day it is when you eat, so timing doesn't matter. As long as your calorie are in check, you can pretty much eat anytime you want.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Of course your body knows what time it is. ok not the actual time like 6pm. but haven't you heard about 'body clock'. your brain recieves signals about environmental changes, and your nervous system and endocrine system will react accordingly. these are called circadian rhythms. i'm not sure how digestion and metabolism are influenced by these, but it's unreasonable to suggest your body is totally naive and insensitive to time of day and changes in environment (both within and outside of your body).

I know I should probably back this up with research but since studying it and being tested on it a few months ago, i'm afraid i simply can't bring myself to rifle through all that s**t again. but it's out there, the 'bodyclock' does exist. google circadian rhythms and suprachiasmatic nuclei if your interested, perhaps see if it throws anything up to do with metabolism.
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    If that helps you..then it's not a myth. To each his own. For me I am more disciplined with food if I don't eat after a certain time. However if, on occasion, I am hungry lets say at 9 pm I will have a smart snack w/o unwinding my day.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    This is an ongoing myth. The issue with eating after 6pm-7pm is that the ones doing it have already met their calorie goal for the day and habitually like to eat at night. I'm a habitually late night eater so I skip breakfast so I can eat at night.
    The body doesn't know what time of day it is when you eat, so timing doesn't matter. As long as your calorie are in check, you can pretty much eat anytime you want.

IDEA Fitness member

Of course your body knows what time it is. ok not the actual time like 6pm. but haven't you heard about 'body clock'. your brain recieves signals about environmental changes, and your nervous system and endocrine system will react accordingly. these are called circadian rhythms. i'm not sure how digestion and metabolism are influenced by these, but it's unreasonable to suggest your body is totally naive and insensitive to time of day and changes in environment (both within and outside of your body).

I know I should probably back this up with research but since studying it and being tested on it a few months ago, i'm afraid i simply can't bring myself to rifle through all that s**t again. but it's out there, the 'bodyclock' does exist. google circadian rhythms and suprachiasmatic nuclei if your interested, perhaps see if it throws anything up to do with metabolism.
    He didn't say the body doesn't know what time it is in general. His statement was relative to digestion. No your body does not digest food differently during different times of the day. Just like breakfast does not increase your metabolism. Neither does meal frequency. People just refuse to let these myths die.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I thought that it had something to do with metabolism as well..Good to know it is essentially just a myth
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It sounds logical, but in all honesty, I tend to eat high calories at night, and I never have any trouble losing when I don't go over my calorie intake. In fact, if I've done good all day, I'll still lose in the morning regardless of eating before bed or not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Because that's what gets shuffled around to the media.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Circadian rhythms don't actually apply to eating which is why there is no mention of it. There is no "time" that the body is going to be hungry or full. This happens when energy is either expended or when you've eaten enough to satiety.

IDEA Fitness member
  • baby_doll33
    Options
    Wow this has been great info for me to read. it was always drilled into my head that you cant eat after 6pm cause u will gain weight and stuff. but i see others who say as long as you stay in your calories and make healthy choices for snacks it should not matter .... wow wonderful news. im still new at this counting calories but really enjoying it. thats for all this wonderful info everyone !!!
  • Ddietdown
    Ddietdown Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a myth. Not that dinner at 6 will ruin your diet. But dinner at 8:30pm, snacking at 10pm (even if it's under your calorie count) IS food that will "just sit there" and not be as likely to get worked off. Anecdotally, I find that if I drink a liquid meal (say a cold-press juice combination) in the evening OR eat dinner before 6:30pm (and stay up until 11:30pm after the news... ) then I lose weight much faster and easier than if I eat dinner later in the evening. That is consistently true of my weigh-ins. So, I'm not inclined to think it's a myth.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have eaten BEFORE 6PM
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    OP is from 2012…