StrongLifts Plateau?

Toddrific
Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
It seems I am stuck on every lift except the dead lift and barbell row. I've only been doing it for about a month or so, so I'm not sure what is going on. I've been stuck on my bench for months really. The squat I dropped weight in order to fix form, and have nearly reached my prior weight, but then stopped.

Should I switch to 3x8 at a slightly lower weight?

I do cardio on in between days, which might be a factor, but you'd think that'd affect dead lifts and rows?

Also, I throw in a couple other exercises in (chin-ups, pull-ups, tricep pushdowns, face pulls, and barbell curls) to sort of round things out a bit. I wouldn't think these would interfere with my progress though?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Try pyramids or negatives. Are you familiar with either? Wake those muscles up again! :)

What are you currently doing as far as sets and reps?
  • Toddrific
    5 sets of 5, with 2 or 3 warmup sets.
    Negatives, not quite sure. That's for pull-ups and chin-ups? Wouldn't know how to apply that to barbells.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Stronglifts is a fine starting program but here's where it starts to not be so great. The lifts you're stuck on you may need to switch up the lifts themselves. Even pro powerlifters don't train the flat bench press and back squat every week, they focus on their weak areas as well.

Sticking with the 5x5 format is fine but I would suggest rotating some other exercises every couple weeks,

Chest: Floor Press, Close-Grip Bench Press, Pin Presses, maybe even Incline Bench Press
    Deadlift: Try the Sumo Deadlift. The Sumo DL is actually harder to get off the floor but easier to lock-out, basically the reverse of the traditional deadlift.
    Squat: Not sure what alternatives to do here, the Front Squat can be a bit technical. I would suggest that on one session that includes Back Squat that instead of doing the 5x5 you do a Dynamic Effort Squat session. Basically do like 6 to 8 sets of 3 reps with a weight that is 45% to 60% of your 1RM. Do these lifts explosively and it will help you learn to generate force.

Aside from the core lifts, make sure you're doing some supporting lifts.
    Chest: Dumbell Presses, Tricep Work, Lat and Rear deltoid work, trap work
    Deadlift & Squat: Hamstrings, low back, quads

Negatives are okay once and while and you may want to try them, just make sure you have a good spotter. But don't do them often because the eccentric part of the movement is actually more taxing on your body.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    How many times have you gone through a deloading cycle?

Also, many people find 3x5 to be a lot more sustainable volume.
    The much more vetted trainer, Mark Rippetoe (Starting Strength) suggests 3x5s.
  • acman145acp
    acman145acp Posts: 76 Member
    I'm going to tag along on this one i just finished week 6 of stronglifts.

I couldn't do the last rep on the last two sets of my barbell rows and barely made the overhead press last time.
  • JNick77

Yeah I would listen to Rippletoe long before the StrongLifts guy. Better marketing doesn't necessarily make it better. I digress...

I'm not sure that it's so much the rep scheme as much as it is that you've gotten your gains from following the routine and now it's time to make some adjustments. Again, that's where this program is weak; it's not flexible as written. I would encourage you to change up the lifts because things like the Floor Press and Sumo Deadlift are basically the same movement pattern as the Flat Bench and DL but they add a little different of a stimulus that could help you out of your plateau. You don't really need to train the flat bench press every week to get better at it for instance. Try something like this,

Week 1 Bench Press days: Floor Press
    Week 2 Bench Press days: Close-Grip Bench Press
    Week 3: Bench Press days: Pin Press (if no full cage then Floor Press)
    Week 4: Flat Bench Press

If you don't have time for assistance work then do 3 to 4 sets of Dips and Chin/Pull Ups with every workout.

Other than that I would recommend at looking at other more flexible methods that are more effective long-term. I'm sure Mark RIppletoe has books for intermediate lifters, 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler, Westside for Skinny *kitten* 3 by Joe DeFranco are all very good methods.
  • Toddrific

I guess I missed some information. Deloading is just not adding weight for a week?

3x5 would allow my muscle to recover so I could add weight?

Thanks all.
  • Toddrific

Other than that I would recommend at looking at other more flexible methods that are more effective long-term. I'm sure Mark RIppletoe has books for intermediate lifters, 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler, Westside for Skinny *kitten* 3 by Joe DeFranco are all very good methods.

Would Starting Strength by Rippetoe work? I'll look into it. Thanks
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    are you training to be a powerlifter?
  • JNick77

I guess I missed some information. Deloading is just not adding weight for a week?

Thanks all.

No, 3x5 is just different programming. Do you feel overtrained? Lethargic (beyond tired), irritable, trouble sleeping? If you're getting adequate sleep and eating well I don't see how SL's5x5 could overtrain anybody but it's possible if not all things are intact. In other words, you may not need to Deload. In many ways your body will tell you when it's time to deload.
    Would Starting Strength by Rippetoe work? I'll look into it. Thanks

It couldn't hurt by any means. I believe he has a website and you may just want to browse around and see what he has available to you. You've done SL's5x5 which is a starting strength method, so you may not want another starter's method but that's not to say that Mark doesn't provide some good knowledge in his book.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member

Thanks all.

Deloading is a part of the program. Basically, when you hit a wall you reduce the weight and then work your way back up. This lets your muscles grow/recover

For example,

you are stuck at a 200lb deadlift.
    So you reset JUST THAT LIFT to 160 lbs
    Next time 170, next time 180, next time 190, next time 200, next time 210. Plateau broken.

obviously 5lb for most lifts... or whatever.

This is HUGELY OVERSIMPLIFIED and I suggest you do some further reading on it.

SL5x5 site goes over it in detail...
  • Toddrific
    Yeah, I'll have to sift through the Stronglifts website.
    --
    I'm not training to be a powerlifter, but I'd like to be able to get to my body weight on squats/bench. Don't think that is feasible for shoulders.

Thanks all.
  • Toddrific,

No offense, but you clearly didnt read the free stronglifts program pdf carefully prior to starting the program. If you do the program correctly, it will definitely work and you will continue to see results and hit new PR's for A LONG TIME, far longer than you have been able to.

Im on the program too and continuing to make solid progress 4.5 months in. I wont re-hash where you're going wrong (per your posts) but instead just direct you back to stronglifts.com. Get the pdf sent to you (free) and read it carefully. You dont need to pay for the inner circle at any point..

George
  • JNick77
    Toddrific,

No offense, but you clearly didnt read the free stronglifts program pdf carefully prior to starting the program. If you do the program correctly, it will definitely work and you will continue to see results and hit new PR's for A LONG TIME, far longer than you have been able to.

Im on the program too and continuing to make solid progress 4.5 months in. I wont re-hash where you're going wrong (per your posts) but instead just direct you back to stronglifts.com. Get the pdf sent to you (free) and read it carefully. You dont need to pay for the inner circle at any point..

George

Way to pick-up on this and act like a **** three-months after the conversation was finished.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Toddrific,

George
    3739013167_c03b7660d3.jpg
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    bump