Anyone travel a lot? Best bets while on the road?

Options
Okay- I thought this posted before but I couldn't find the thread. So here we go again..

I travel for work a lot, but haven't since I start MFP a month ago. In the past, I can get on a really good track/routine, then a work trip comes up and it all goes downhill, then it seems to take weeks to get back into my routine, I am determined to break this cycle this time.

I have a 5 day trip coming up, starting tomorrow. The way this usually works is I am good during the day, but food options are limited so I end up eating lettuce, etc. then the organized dinners come. They are usually at a restaurant, pre-fixed menu, and 20 plus people. The dinner starts at like 7p, then goes forever and by the time the main course is served, I'm starving!

This can't be a me only issue, so I'm reaching out to the nice supportive people on this site to help. What's your strategy on the road? Do you pack snacks for the trip? The hotel room has a refrigerator, and I am checking my bag on the flight so I could pack some stuff. Thanks for any advice :smile:

Replies

• BlooQKazoo
    Options
    I don't travel a whole lot, but I have gone on several trips recently. Basically, I like to pack a huge cooler full of veggies to make salads, veggies to eat for snacks (baby carrots, chopped up cucumbers, and the like), a ton of fruit, and other low-calorie options (rice cakes, already-portioned-out packs of almonds or pretzels [I'll buy a normal bag and portion them out into Ziplocs myself]). While I'm on the road, I'll try to stop only at Subway or places with other healthy options. If I can't, I can always head to a McDonald's and get a fruit and yogurt parfait with a side salad or a chicken salad with no dressing or something.

I guess if you're flying, you could always try packs of almonds (or other protein-filled snacks that will keep you full), and when you go out to eat, get a bowl of low-cal soup or a house salad before you eat so that when you get your main meal (try for grilled chicken or fish with some steamed veggies), you won't feel that you're absolutely starving.

It's hard, but it'll all be worth it. ;) Good luck! (Oh, and drink lots of water. Especially while flying. :P )
  • Stac2004
    Stac2004 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!!!! Great advice I really appreciate it :smile:
  • weecdngeer
    Options
    I've been travelling a lot for work lately and am frequently faced with all day meetings (meeting starts at 7 with breakfast provided, then lunch is provided as well) followed by dinner with collegues. I've had success with having some massive breakfasts and sticking to the fruit and veggie platter during the day. In the evening, I generally don't have the fixed menu issue, but if I did I would probably tackle it by trying to sneak away and eat something in advance that fits my dietary restrictions.
  • jinglett
    jinglett Posts: 69
    Options
    My husband and I have packed Laughing Cow Cheese (doesn't need refridgeration), Kashi cereal, almonds and fiber one bars in our checked luggage. I pre-portion the cereal and almonds and throw in some spoons. Most hotels have yogurt or apples available to add to the packed items to make a healthful snack or a fill in meal to offset large breakfasts or suppers. I also make it a point to visit the workout room or walk outdoors to see the area we are staying. We have also packed water mix ins and a refillable water bottles.
  • Stac2004
    Stac2004 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!!!! Thanks!