How to boost metabolism?

Options

Replies

• beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have my best days when I get up early and do a kettlebell workout or on the treadmill. I have been drinking ice water all day and it helps me to drink more than room temperature water.

I loose weight better also if I eat a good breakfast after my workout and my metabolism keeps moving all day. I work in an area where I can run stairs on my breaks and and few flights of stairs a couple times a day helps the metabolism also.

I don't know if I could do the chili pepper thing!
  • mochomito
    mochomito Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Chile pepper: 1 tablespoon of chopped red or green chile pepper can boost metabolic rate by 20%. The effect lasts 1/2 hour. Recommend take 20 minutes before eating. The "hotter" the better. Chile pepper causes a thermobaric reaction — that's why you feel hot. It burns calories to make you hot!

This is the same misinterpretation that allows the infrared sauna makers to claim their products burn calories. Just because you feel hot and are sweating doesn't mean your metabolic rate has increased. The active ingredient in most hot peppers passes through your body undigested - why do you think you get ring sting after eating really spicy food?

Capsaicin, found in chillies, is a thermogenic compound - this is fact.

There have been many, many studies e.g. Laval University, Canada - 3rd Military Med School, China & University of Tasmania to name but a few.

They also make stuff taste nice :)
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    phentermine??? People die from that stuff. I thought they outlawed phentermine!
    It is not used in UK at all. So I am not sure why people are taking it in US. I am very surprised about it. Only medicine which is recommended is Orlistat.
    Fen-Phen is deadly and was taken off the market, not Phentermine. Phentermine is a drug that's been approved by the FDA since 1952. I think 60 years is long enough to be sure that under a physician's care, one might be able to safely take this drug.

I think Phentermine was one part of the Fen-Phen diet mixture, not saying whether it is safe or not. Personally, I've taken Phentermine years ago, but gained all the weight back after stopping the drug. I found that it definitely increased my heart rate, and suppressed appetite, but it doesn't teach a person how to eat or take care of their bodies correctly.

In the U.S. a lot of doctors prescribe it to anyone that's having problems losing weight, but I think there's a limitation on the amount of time they can prescribe it for. Usually 3 months or so.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    For me it was and still is liquid B12. Plus liquid vitamins. Pills don't seem to work well for me.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Very helpful
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Sure wish the chili pepper one was true. I'd be a size 2 if it was. :-)
  • 32nissy
    32nissy Posts: 67
    Options
    bump thankyou so much for the info.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Also, freezing your T&A waiting for the gym doors to open at 5:30am in winter i.e. your body trying to keep warm when it's cold.
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Satyrakk
    Satyrakk Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump. thnks!
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning type of workout person! LOL!

Most of my energy is afternoon to evening. I can put in a good workout after I pick up my daughter from school, and then my husband workout with me after dinner. Seems to be working!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, so if you exercise at night you don't get a metabolism boost? :huh:

Arginine is a nonessential amino acid, your body produces tons of it, and it's in all sources of protein. Watermelon isn't special.

Eating protein does NOT boost metabolism, TEF doesn't work that way.

Cold water being warmed is a negligible calorie burn, maybe 1 calorie a day extra.

Most of this seems to be mythical.
  • MustangCindy67
    MustangCindy67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting...all great ideas and have heard of them before...I do believe they work...I have also heard eating fruit before a meal....and exercising before a meal helps kick start the metabolism as well.....

as much as I would love to exercise in the morning I refuse to get up at 04h00 and then go to work...I did lose weight by doing this when I worked evenings .... it does work...:)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Arginine is a nonessential amino acid, your body produces tons of it, and it's in all sources of protein. Watermelon isn't special.

Cold water being warmed is a negligible calorie burn, maybe 1 calorie a day extra.

but it's all dr. oz approved!
  • Minkime
    Minkime Posts: 41
    Options
    bump
  • Tani_LT
    Tani_LT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Interesting, and I think this stuff helps with metabolism but I don't think it's that significant.

I understand the cold water during dinner thing but it's not recommended you drink a lot of liquids with food because they dilute the HCl acid that breaks down your food making digestion difficult.

I agree with tigersword on Arginine. From what I understand fruits are mostly carbohydrates (fructose) with vitamins and minerals.

There is no way around it people, no shortcut, you gotta get moving, there is no magic potion, no magic pill, no special move that will undo all we've done to ourselves through bad diet and sedentary lives in matter of days.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    These suggestions will not hurt anyone, but neither will they boost your metabolism significantly. Trying to boost your metabolism probably won't lead to weight loss, at least not to the degree that changing your diet and lifestyle habits will. How much you weigh really depends on the number of calories you eat and how much physical activity you get.
  • Tani_LT
    Tani_LT Posts: 15 Member
    Options

but it's all dr. oz approved!

Yeaaahhh... He's now more of a celebrity than a doctor. Make your own research and find out for yourself. Don't put so much faith on TV people.