Has anyone tried the protein shake diet?

Options
This one
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmnuwsdbeS1qhcq1fo1_500.jpg

I plan on doing it tomorrow as a detox-type thing and I was wondering if anyone's done it before and for how long.
Here's my plan for it
Breakfast - protein shake
Lunch - protein shake
Dinner - can of tuna
plus a ton of water
Calorie total - 800

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sorry, wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole.

Crash diets like that will result in a rapid weight loss but almost invariably result in yo-yo dieting. Focus, instead on eating a well balanced diet (fruits & veg, lean proteins, avoid processed foods & lots of water) and exercise. 800 cal a day is way too low.
  • cheerocracy
    cheerocracy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it, sorry :( Its an easy fix diet and likely not to work. I tried it before and ended up gaining weight that I had quickly lost. First, you'd be under-eating; 800 calories is not enough, your body will most likely go into starvation mode. Secondly, I dont think you'll last that long with it, it wont fill you up and you'll probably start craving other foods. Its better to eat a balanced diet and exercise moderately to loose weight slower but it will keep it off longer. good luck :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Quick fixes do not work. It is essential to eat in a manner than you can stick with throughout life.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ all of the above!
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Ummmm....... 800 cals? NO!
  • liftandcycle
    Options
    I did a diet called "The Velocity Diet" I havent been able to drink protein shakes since, you drink nothing but protein shakes for breakfast lunch and dinner and the snacks are also protein shakes and maybe a little bit of penut butter... it lasted 30 days.. it was awful.. barely lost any weight... b/c i was still consuming the same amount of cals or whatever reason... just... just dont it.. its not worth it... trust me..
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Wow that picture scares me :/ Promoting eating 800 calories a day and burning off 1000? That's a net of -200 calories! I don't know your BMR, but 1400 seems pretty average. So let's just say yours is 1400... that means your body needs 1400 calories a day just to complete it's normal functions. And you're thinking of giving it -200 instead?

Sorry, it's just not a good idea in any way.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    What will you be eating for the remaining 700 calories?
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Said well by all of the above posters.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a way to feel like ****, you could just drink a fifth of jack daniels and make yourself fall down the stairs.
  • OSUbeaverfan11
    Options
    This does not sound like a great idea...
    Primarily your body utilizes carbs first, then fats, then proteins for energy production. Protein is not a great primary source of energy.
    Your body metabolizes protein for a main fuel when in starvation mode and it can actually lead to serious condition called ketoacidosis where your blood is too acidic!! This would be an extreme case probably, but still you need to be careful.
    I agree with the previous two comments, and it would probably be best to just eat healthy and make gradual losses so that you are more likely to keep off the weight you lose!
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i do shakes but man that is not enough food.... i think its a crash and burn diet.

i do
    shake breaky 270ish cals)
    snack (nuts or fruit or a protein bar about 150 cals)
    Shake or meal bar (290 cals)
    second snack if needed
    Nice veg-heavy and protein rich dinner (400 or so cals)

Plus I work out 200-300 cals daily

total net is about 1200 cals

losing 2 lbs per week and I don't have to think for 2 meals - which I like
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - whiskey
    Lunch - whiskey
    Dinner - whiskey
    Night Snack - vomit
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound healthy without direct medical supervision. Don't do any diet less than 1200 calories a day without medical assistance. In fact, don't do most 1200 calories diets without medical supervision. It's very hard on your heart, kidneys, and liver. You need to be physically sound enough to do it, and only a doctor is qualified to tell you if you are.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a way to feel like ****, you could just drink a fifth of jack daniels and make yourself fall down the stairs.

I don't know, that sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than this 'diet'.
  • sausagelegs
    sausagelegs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hey i did the velocity followed the instructions to a 'T' and lost a **** load of weight lost about 20 pounds in 4 weeks and was RIPPED - (i looooove to train) i noticed i got stronger fitter and felt AMAZING was more of a challenge for myself - can i do this........etc dont knock it til youve tried it, its on the bodybuilding sites.... its INCREDIBLE im doing it again now for the second time (only allowed once or twice a year) and im on DAY 2 - if you have the mental strength DO IT its incredibly tough though i would recommend only for a BIG occasion and if you think you'll pile it all back on after then probably best not to do it - i gained a little weight from eating more calories but stick to the same calorie ratio etc and you'll just get super lean if you wanna see pics before and after inbox me - these bozos dont know what theyre talking about - you get all vital multi vitamins nutrients and cut out sugar and bad carbs its definately better than having a sarnie and a packet of crisps for lunch for 4 weeks ;) again if you need my advice message me x
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a detox.

Eat healthy, move more.

If you want some ideas, here is my morning recipe rant:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/573318-cleanses-let-me-give-you-a-cool-recipe-flower-children
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I think this is a joke. I mean come on...tuna with no mayo? Psh, what's the point????
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sigh.

800 cals a day of anything would promote rapid, yet unhealthy and temporary weight loss -.-

Why are people so keen to spend their time trying to take the easy way out, when they will probably end up at square one of the hard way in the future anyways...
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    unfortunately that is not a diet that is a fast in my opinion.
    fasting is great though. but i would do this diet once a week on non gym days. should help things along and retain any muscle due to the high protein intake. other days eat just below maintenance for example.
    1 weeks calories.
    maintanance is 2200...

monday-saturday 1800 calories + gym calories burnt
    sunday fast with your protein bonanza at 800 cals.

2400 cals deficit mon-sat then 1400 for sunday, 3800 cals total 1 lb a week loss. i would never do the fast more then once a week or on a physically challenging day.