Anyone 40-60 yrs. old looking for motivation

Options

Replies

• spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just turned 49 and I have almost 200 lb. to lose, according to the doctor. I am setting small goals and celebrate every 10 lb.s lost. I am sensitive to carbs, just a slice of bread can set me back big time. So I try to focus on protein and calories.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    45 here. Dropped fifty last year. Looking for forty more by the end of this summer.

I spent to many years reducing activity and increasing calories. It takes time to get that reversed, but you feel better when you do.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Motivation- Training for Life Because it Beats the Alternative
    Bringing up the median age here at 57 and 6 feet of height. Weight loss journey relatively simple for me from 215 to 178 and holding in about 6 months time. I was amazed because it took 30 years to gain it.
    Motivation- 80% of weight loss and body shape begins in the kitchen. Food is medicine that can heal you or hurt you. Your choice.
    Motivation- I figure out what exercise I will do each day and record it before I do it. I have never had to delete later in the evening. Motivation- Your tailor will love seeing you regularly to resize those barely worn clothes from the last millenium sitting in the closet.
    Motivation- Made a significant $ wager with one of my sons on weight loss. I won (but didn't collect of course). But he is now paying attention, so as a Dad, I win again.
    Motivation- You will feel 10 or more years younger. I know I do.
    That should about cover it. Good luck.
  • johnxmp
    johnxmp Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, please feel free to add me, John
  • cathy620
    cathy620 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi there!

I will be 49 in a couple of months and would like to lose 70. I gained 35-40lbs in the past 3 years..attributed from quitting smoking, getting older and a few life changes. I just started using MFP a few days ago. My short term goal is to log my food and exercise daily and be patient with weight loss. My long term goal is to be fit and feeling much better before I hit the big "50."
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's not unusual.
  • charkendrick
    charkendrick Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've usually been able to take weight off but keeping it off is hard. Now at age 42 both are hard. Feel free to add me.
  • ryajak
    ryajak Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    42 going on 43 with another 20 or so pounds to go to get to an ideal weight. Watching my Dad suffer health issues that he possibly could have avoided had he listened more to his body and kept up with diet and exercise. That is a real motivator for me to take control of my health! Add me if you like.
  • mattgleason
    Options
    48 years old and looking to shed another 17 lbs. or so. Like a lot of people are saying, it isn't as easy to shed weight as it used to be. That said, I've been on MFP a little over a month and I've lost 6 lbs, and it hasn't been that hard. I realize now I had been telling myself I was doomed to carry a gut for the rest of my life. Not true! Anybody looking for support can feel free to add me. My diary is open to all.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. I'm 59, I thought it was due to age, but I have been on here 430 days and have lost 50+ pounds so far. It can be done. Good luck. :smile:
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    51 here, and yes as I get older it continues to be more difficult. Right now I'm working on strength training, with the hope that a little added muscle will help me burn a few more calories. Feel free to friend me if your interested. Good luck with your journey :)
  • slybaby
    slybaby Posts: 125
    Options
    Will be 40 in June! I really need to lose some weight...25lbs. It's definitly much harder to lose the weight as we get older. I need to regain that bounce in my step that I had in my early thirties! Feel free to add me, anyone! I need some support!
  • dbluejean
    dbluejean Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm 45 and have been overweight for 10 years. I need to lose about 40 pounds to be at a healthy weight. I've been talking about this for ten years ... no more excuses, it's time to do this! Feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    Hi, I just turned 47. I don't have a lot of weight to loose but I am short and a little added weight shows. I know it's harder as we age to loose weight but I am determined. I find logging my food daily really keeps me on track and I exercise 3 to 4 times a week. Feel free to add me!
  • jerrbear67
    jerrbear67 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, 45 years young and have close to 100 lbs to loose. I've been heavy most of my life and decided this is the year to change my life. I'll have a long road ahead of me and need all the help I can get. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I've been doing cardio 3 days a week and strength training another 3 days of the week and still find it hard to take it off. I thought I would try my calories at 40% carb, 40% protein and 20% fat and go from there.
  • Lindamack5987
    Options
    I will be 50 in July. I have lost 27 lbs, but need to lose another 40. It is coming off so slowly. I take a lot of meds that say can cause weight gain. And as you know as you age slows down your metabolism. I didn't realize how much I am out of shape til I started exercising.
  • nellatink
    Options
    Hello! I am on a lifetime battle with trying to lose weight. I would like to lose 35 pounds and keep it off. I just started entering my food diary and exercises on here a few days ago and am hoping it will help me lose seeing it in front of me. :smile:
  • michalebsdad
    Options
    I am turning 43 this summer and after some years in the military, my knees do not allow me to run or go b*lls out on some cardio machine! I have found that as long as I am very careful in the kitchen and bust my butt in the gym...getting back down to my ideal weight is taking a bit longer than this old Soldier is used to! Alas, I am sticking with and I have no problems motivating others to do what they need to do! God Bless all of you and I know you all will reach and surpass your fitness goals!

Please do me a small favor...as you lay your head down on your pillow tonight, please say a small prayer for my brothers and sisters who put themselves (willingly) in harm's way for this great country of ours!
  • LuvMyLexi
    Options
    Hi, I'm 46 with probably 50 or so lbs to lose. I need both knees replaced (this summer, finally) and I'm having trouble staying motivated. I'd prefer to workout with weights but find I am a bit limited because of joint issues. Does anyone have a modified routine of some sort that will still "get it done"?
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I'm in. 55 Year Old Male. 8 pounds left to reach my goal. Survived a stroke last year - just trying to get more fit!