Insanity and knees

Options
I'm curious...has anyone doing Insanity had knee issues? I'm curious about trying it, but sometimes my knee gives me trouble and I'm a little worried about causing myself problems.

I'd love to hear from those of you who've done it! Thanks!

Replies

• fiddlegirl8
    Options
    Yes, I have done Insanity, and though you definitely have to be careful as it is a high impact workout, if you pay attention to the tips that Shaun T gives on how to preform the moves, I think that you can end you strengthening your knees. Just make sure if a particular move seems to consistently feel bad...skip it - don't try to make yourself do it if it doesn't feel right. I went on a week long skiing trip in Austria in February (first time) and when I got back I noticed that my knees were having issues so I steared clear of Insanity; I just did it for the first time last week since the trip and had no problems; in fact my knees seem better since then.
    Hope this helps :smile:
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have had knee surgery and honestly need another one. I'm now through month 1 of my 2nd round of Insanity and will be moving on to month 2 here in a week. Yes there is A LOT of jumping that can be hard on the knees (month 2 is the worst) but you just need to go at your pace and modify some moves if they are too rough on your knees. I do my workouts on a carpeted surface, so I'm sure that helps with the impact. It's an AMAZING workout and I would recommend it to anyone but definitely watch your knees if you already have issues! It is doable you just need to be careful!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 2, and it's it's doable with care with bad knees. I had a horse step on my knee almost 20 years ago (along with a ton of other injuries to it), and every single ligament in my body is extremely lax - for the cruciate ligaments in my knees, they are as loose as if I had almost completely torn them through. I super watch my form on the jumps, and because of it, my burns aren't as crazy high as some I've seen, but I'm still seeing massive improvements in my conditioning.
  • Zara150
    Zara150 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have just one week to go to the end of the program and YES it's a tough workout. I have NEVER had problems with knees , yet during month 2 I felt they hurt when I bend them and when I do insanity. But the pain used to go away on the rest day. The most important thing is to land softly and that the legs are behind your toes. But the workout itself is GREAT! My body looks so much different, anyone could say I workout. You should try it, just be careful! Wish you good luck!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I got what I call Insane knees because there is a lot of jumping and suck in the program, for sure. It's a fantastic workout, but my knees were still sore a good two or three weeks after I was done, but it has cleared up. I'd just say to take it easy, wear a knee brace if you need to, and if you really start hurting, stop the program!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Certain workouts give me knee issues. I haven't had any yet with Insanity. I'm also not doing long Insanity workouts every day. I'm doing a version of the hybrid rotation with other strength/ lifting workouts instead of P90X. For me, my ankles and knees seem to act up more when I do impact every day versus a few days a week. I do agree that you have to watch your landings and take breaks when your form starts to go.
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful feedback...I'm planning to begin the first week in May...I'll take everyone's advice! Looking forward to pushing myself...I think....!
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    I first tried Insanity with sneakers on hard wood flooring and that hurt my knees. Now I do the exercises barefoot on carpet and I land much nicer. Maybe it's because I've been a swimmer my whole life, but my body just hates shoes :p
  • veganxfemme
    Options
    Ooh, I've been doing th shoes on hard wood- I'll try barefoot on carpet and see how that goes! Great tip!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I first tried Insanity with sneakers on hard wood flooring and that hurt my knees. Now I do the exercises barefoot on carpet and I land much nicer. Maybe it's because I've been a swimmer my whole life, but my body just hates shoes :p

I do it barefoot on carpet as well. I've never even tried it in shoes.
  • kami1128
    kami1128 Posts: 1
    Options
    im having the same problem.im in week 2 of month 2 and my knees hurt so bad.going up the stairs hurts me and doing squats feels like HELL!! ! help guys!