Running with my dogs... Any advice??

Alsison
Alsison Posts: 597 Member
I just finally managed to start running 3 miles without stopping at a moderate 5 mph pace on the treadmill. Now that the weather is finally turning in Vancouver, I would like to start running with my dogs.

I have two Weimaraners. The male is 7 years old and my female is 6. Do you think it is okay to have them run the full 3 miles with me right away or do I need to work them up towards it...??? How much is too much for the dogs and how do you know if you are pushing them too far??

Any advice would be appreciated..:flowerforyou:

Cheers,
Alsison

Replies

• grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    They are in the prime running ages for Weimaraners (great dog choice, btw). See if this article helps you any.

http://weimathon.giving.officelive.com/RunningwithyourWeimaraner.aspx
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    I think I would ease them into it, unless they have been active. They are seniors now, and they can feel the same as us when starting an exercise program, such as stiffness and pain.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    in addition to grimm's response: start off slow both for you and them, running on pavement is very different from running on the treadmill (harder!) so you may not be able to do the full three mile either. My dog needs to be re-conditioned every spring (I'm working on the running part, I usually bike with him running next to me) with a shorter 1 mile run the first day, 1.5 the next ect... until I build him up. He can go about 5 miles (we take a rest & potty break half way in) once I've got him conditioned for it, and he LOVES it!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    The above link looks like a pretty good article. I'll only add a PSA based on my latest emergency shift. As we head into summer , know the signs of heat stress in dogs. This: http://www.k-state.edu/media/newsreleases/jun10/hotdogs62110.html is a good summary. Even in fairly mild temperatures dogs can overheat, and since they will push themselves to keep up with you, it's good to be sensitive to signs that they need to slow down and cool off. Heat stroke can actually be fatal. I had a relatively fit pitt mix spend a week in intensive care getting transfusions due to a bout of it.

Maybe work them up to long runs, and only run in the cooler parts of the day. Also, make sure to give them room temp or cool water after the walk rather than ice cold just to be on the safe side.

It sounds like this could be fun and healthy for you and your dogs :)
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    I think they should be fine. Remember that that pace will only be like a fast walk /trot for them. My dog doesn't really run unless I break into a sprint.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    I keep and train bird dogs--the equivalent of marathon runners. You need to be careful and ease them into it. dogs can overheat a lot faster than people and it isn't observable to the untrained eye. Heat stroke can kill or cripple a dog and a fit human can run a lot longer in heat than a canine. However you should be able to get your dogs up to 3 miles if the temp is in the low 80s or lower. Healthy, fit bird dogs with a lot more stamina than weimies can suffer heat stroke if it is too hot. I wouldn't run them in 90+ heat. Also, I am assuming you are running them on a lead. It is too difficult to control any dog while running without a lead. I would advise alternating dogs and only running one at a time. That way you won't be tripping over dogs or leads, can observe the dog and won't have conflicts with the other dogs. Most pro dog trainers work their dogs early in the morning or late in the evening and only for 20 mins or less in the summer because of the heat. If you can soak the dog before you run they will be more comfortable on warm days. Remember 6-7 is fairly old for that breed. If your dogs are active and fit you should be able to see their waist, perhaps their ribs and and clear muscle definition. No waist=couch potato canine in need of conditioning.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    I wasn't a runner. I took a learn to run clinic with the running room 2 summers ago, and took one of my cockers with me, he was welcome. So we worked up from nothing to 10 and 1 intervals. We still run like that. If we're inactive for the winter I keep the intervals at 10 and 1.. but we run a shorter distance to fit back up like I would with an inactive horse.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    <
    My dog's a black lab and weimaraner mix. I started running with him when he turned 2yrs old and he's a great running partner. Like the other posters have said, you should ease your dogs into it. Start off with about a mile the first day and see how it goes. You can slowly start to increase the mileage after you see how well your dogs' are handling it. Good luck! I think you're going to enjoy running with your fur babies! :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    You had to work up to it, and it would make it easier and more enjoyable for them if you gradually worked them up to the full three miles, especially in warmer weather. They can overheat when they're not used to running, and they'll push themselves further than they should if given the chance.

I think they'll be totally fine doing that distance once they're used to it, though. Those are great athletic dogs. :)
  • maxdwolf
    maxdwolf Posts: 18
    My chocolate lab let me know she wasn't ready for the full distance by simply lagging on the home stretch. So we simply finished up with a walk and built up to it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Another vote for easing into it. On top of the other great points made, keep an eye on the paw pads. They will toughen up but may get a little raw at first if doing too much running on pavement.

As for the running part - I use a command to let them know we are running. My gSDs are trained in a heel, my lab I just use "let's go". This means no stopping to sniff. If they (mostly my lab does), I keep going and gently pull him along. You can slow so you don't jerk them but don't stop otherwise the reinforces the behavior of stopping to sniff. It doesn't take long to catch on. When I take a break or am done I use the "free" command which means they can sniff around and break from my heel. I'll also use this when I know my dog needs to relieve himself.
    Don't forget doggie bags. My older GSD is trained to go before we leave, it's a great habit. My lab never fails to need to go on the run.

As for tired, you will learn to read your dog. 3 miles isn't terribly far, they likely should be able to do it with no issue, it's just a good idea to work up to it.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Make sure your pups are leash-trained before you take them for a run, otherwise you'll be working on them more than the run! :) I take my jack russell/beagle mix on a 1.5 mile run several times a week before the dog park, and she can easily do up to 3 and hike for hours. I bought some pad wax at Petsmart...you just rub their paw pad in it and it protects them from the pavement.
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 597 Member
    Thanks everyone for all the great advise and links!!

I will ease them into it and keep a close eye on them watching for the signs of heat stress especially as the spring leads into summer.

This is one of the many reasons I love this site! Great advice from great people.

Looking forward to an awesome, healthy summer for me and my dogs!

If I new how to insert a picture of them I would...

Cheers,
    Alsison
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    My Weim, Max is 4 years old and LOVES going jogging with me. It isn't really a fast run for him, as others have said. I took him with me from the start of my training, so he's been building up distances gradually, same as me. But do watch out for the paws - his is currently bleeding after our run yesterday morning, poor thing.

Oh, and make sure you carry a poo bag with you :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    My Weim, Max is 4 years old and LOVES going jogging with me. It isn't really a fast run for him, as others have said. I took him with me from the start of my training, so he's been building up distances gradually, same as me. But do watch out for the paws - his is currently bleeding after our run yesterday morning, poor thing.

Oh, and make sure you carry a poo bag with you :smile:

Mine poops twice on every run! :grumble:
  • i agree with easing them into it and about watching the pads. asphalt and concrete can be hard on their pads as well as very hot for them in the summer! when i had a dog i ran with i wouldnt let him run on the sidewalk/road if i wasnt able to comfortably stand barefoot on it, if it was too hot i ran him on grass or not at all since they overheat much easier than we do :) good luck with your pooches
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    I have 2 Beagles and they are not going to work out with anyone :) They either run so fast they choke on their collars and gag or they will lay down in the middle of the trail and take a nap. We have been known to carry one home because he was too tired to walk. This is been trying off and on for 10 yrs. Taking both and then trying one at a time. I have given up on taking my dog with me. Hope you have better luck.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    I just finally managed to start running 3 miles without stopping at a moderate 5 mph pace on the treadmill. Now that the weather is finally turning in Vancouver, I would like to start running with my dogs.

I have two Weimaraners. The male is 7 years old and my female is 6. Do you think it is okay to have them run the full 3 miles with me right away or do I need to work them up towards it...??? How much is too much for the dogs and how do you know if you are pushing them too far??

Any advice would be appreciated..:flowerforyou:

Cheers,
    Alsison

Running outside is different from running on the treadmill, seriously.

Therefore, you are in a perfect position at the moment. The reason being is that you will need to build up your own running outside and if you start it all off with the dogs in tow, all of you will get running outside fit together.

Definitely build them up to it, you wouldn't ask a person to run three miles outright without building up to it, the same goes for ya pooches :)
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    My grey hound mix who appears to be in great shape will actually just sit when he has had enough so working on getting him back into shape too!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    I'm going to have to read those links, but I also have a weimaraner who is almost impossible to manage on leash. He's pulled me down several times just on walks, with resitance... Running? I'll be toast!

I do run with my little Jack Russell Terrier - she's a great partner. I usually let her get out her sillies for the first 5 minutes of the "walk", then I begin my run and she's perfect.