Nosy, annoying person at the gym!

Options
2»

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    to be totally honest, i would have laughed at him right then and there. not only is he giving you unsolicited advice, but he basically just spat out a textbook case of the "toning" myth.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    he was likely attempting in his idiotic way to hit on you.... but subtley (like sounding 'educated' would help).
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Ignore these "advice" givers most times they know nothing.

e.g: a month ago ish I was doing medicine ball rotations for abs and some guy came up to me and said "that's the wrong exercise to be doing if you want six pack abs, you should be crunches" so I said to him " let's see your six pack then" his response was " er... erm my body fat is too high" so I lift up my shirt and tell him " I'm going to do whatever I want and nobody wants your bs advice."

He no longer harasses people with his "expertise"
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Ignore these "advice" givers most times they know nothing.

e.g: a month ago ish I was doing medicine ball rotations for abs and some guy came up to me and said "that's the wrong exercise to be doing if you want six pack abs, you should be crunches" so I said to him " let's see your six pack then" his response was " er... erm my body fat is too high" so I lift up my shirt and tell him " I'm going to do whatever I want and nobody wants your bs advice."

He no longer harasses people with his "expertise"

Outstanding!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Confront the bro-scientist.

LOL!
  • turlykerd1
    turlykerd1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    chat up maybe ?

we do stupid things some times

and say stupid things all the time

lol
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Maybe he was VERY awkwardly trying to compliment you, but that is UNACCEPTABLE.:angry: Aside from hitting on people at the gym being awkward anyway, the way to do it is NOT that way.

I had this happen once at the gym when me and my girlfriend were working out, except the difference was her and I REALLY didn't know what we were doing and appreciated the help. And although this guy was obviously hitting on us as well, he was VERY fit and was just suggesting ways to improve our form, not talking down to us for doing it wrong.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    What an a*hole!

I am usually the only woman in the weight section at my gym too but I am lucky enough never to have experienced anything nearly so bad. Actually the other day I was doing pullups and there were some guys taking turns on the other pullup station and I saw one of them nudge the another and say ' look she can do pull ups better than you' :-)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Ugh, those people infuriate me! Not only is he spouting a bunch of bull (the whole "women will get too bulky if they lift weights" crap), he's managing to be condescending and insulting to a complete stranger!

My mom has been really into working out and weightlifting for years (she's 51 now) and is in incredible shape, but you wouldn't BELIEVE the stuff she has to deal with at the gym. For a long time, she just kept her mouth shut and would go off about it later to me, about these guys who ranged from creepers to blatantly misogynistic. One day, she couldn't take it anymore and told them to put up or shut up, challenging them to any contest, their terms. She blew them out of the water on one-handed push-ups, lasting several minutes longer than any of the sexist jerks! They gave her the nickname "Diesel" and never dared to talk down to her again!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I don't get these kinds of remarks, but I look very serious and like a huge ***** at the gym. Its not that I am, its just how my face settles when I get "in the zone". So, people don't mess with me. Alot of the guys in my gym look impressed even though I don't lift that heavy or anything. I get a lot of smiles and thumbs ups. Sometimes guys will ask if I need help moving the plates, I always say yes. What guy doesnt want to "help" a pretty girl. I'll let them have that. However, I don't respond well to disrespect. I probably would have just condensed it down to a simple "*kitten* off" or something along those lines.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    ...It's time to perfect your horrified face and put it on the minute someone says something that stupid to you. Do not thank them for their bad advice, just crazy face them until they go the hell away. :(
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    chat up maybe ?

we do stupid things some times

and say stupid things all the time

lol

I wondered that - might have just been a really crap way to start talking to you! Next time try laughing it off - pretend they've made a joke or something and see what happens. We don't always have to be angry about stuff.
  • rox9370
    rox9370 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm dealing with crap at the gym to. I lost a lot of weight and it seems like the fitter I get , the more *kitten* come, always staring and mumbling under there breath. I lost my focus twice already and the week is just beginning. I am so frustrated with my gym. Even the staff are always staring. Abdvootions f Ir gyms are limited in my area ir I would go somewhere else.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound like a b-word, but I can't STAND when people try to strike up conversation at the gym, even friendly. I am there to get my workout out, I am focused and in 'the zone' and I'm kind of naturally a quiet person anyway and I get so annoyed when people try to start a conversation. It's like, come on, just leave me alone!!

That, and I have a few visible tattoos on my chest and right above both of my knees, I catch people staring at me alot and I think it has something to do with the tattoos, which is irritating. DOUBLE WHAMMY when they interrupt me in the middle of a workout to ask about my tattoos!

I used to be exactly like this. I have a lot of really geeky ink and it used to bother me if people would comment. I keep headphones in frmo door to door at the gym and if someone does give a tattoo comment I smile and move on. I got the ink to be seen after all, not sure why it used to make me mad. Ruining the zone maybe? I dunno. That's something I think you (in general) gotta get over if you display tattoos in public.