running vs walking at the same speed

Options
kiku76
kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
Does one have more benefits than the other?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    That is an excellent question! I don't know the answer to it but...

Walking is lower impact on the body, and much less harmful to the joints.
    Running is usually at a higher perceived effort level, and feels like more work.

Personally, I find running burns more calories, as my heart rate increases more when running than walking for the same speed.
  • elion7
    elion7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've heard for a long time that you burn the same number of calories per mile, whether you're running or walking. But I found this article to be interesting
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Walking is lower impact so it's easier on your joints. At a certain speed running becomes more efficient than walking so its actually easier to run than to walk really fast so the calorie burn per distance is actually higher for walking and its lower impact.

The big benefit for running vs. walking at the same speed is that power walkers usually look like humongous tools. Sorry!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

The big benefit for running vs. walking at the same speed is that power walkers usually look like humongous tools. Sorry!

I enjoy walking and so don't look like a humongous tool. For now it is better for my ankles that I walk more than I run.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Running builds endurance and stamina. Walking is great for burning calories but if you want to increase your stamina, see if you can get some running mixed in.
  • kiku76
    Options
    LMAO about the power walkers.
    I just asked cause I dont have a HRM (I know, I know. Get one) and was playing around with the exercises log. I'm starting c25k on monday and wondered how running compares to walking since I've been doing walk at home DVDs. At the same speed, it says that walking and jogging burn the same calories.
  • kiku76
    Options
    I've heard for a long time that you burn the same number of calories per mile, whether you're running or walking. But I found this article to be interesting

just read through this. that was very interesting. thanks for the link
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    There is not much difference in my running vs. walking speed because I am a beginning runner and I am still pretty heavy. I am sure my speed will improve with practice. For me, walking simply isn't challenging enough to get my heart rate anywhere near my target HR zones for interval training. So, I run!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

I was JUST wondering about this a few hours ago (yeah I suppose I could have tested it with my HRM but at least I know now). It does make sense that running burns more because with that gait your heart rate is more elevated.

Thanks for posting this!!!!!:smile:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    LMAO about the power walkers.
    I just asked cause I dont have a HRM (I know, I know. Get one) and was playing around with the exercises log. I'm starting c25k on monday and wondered how running compares to walking since I've been doing walk at home DVDs. At the same speed, it says that walking and jogging burn the same calories.

I just want to say - I lost ALL my weight without a HRM. So, while it is a nice tool to have, it isn't necessary by any means. :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Walking is lower impact so it's easier on your joints. At a certain speed running becomes more efficient than walking so its actually easier to run than to walk really fast so the calorie burn per distance is actually higher for walking and its lower impact.

Basically, that. Generally speaking, there are certain speeds where it is inefficient to continue running, because it's so slow that it just becomes physically cumbersome to continue the stride. Same thing with walking. A higher speeds, it just becomes much more efficient mechanically to switch to a different stride, because your joints, bones, and muscles will be working with the speed, and not against it.

As for calories burned, they are probably going to be pretty similiar in general, though the muscles worked and overall physical conditioning will be different.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I burn 89-111 calories per mile walking, and 116-134 per mile running. This is based on the last week of my stats.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Sadly for them, I have to agree. I feel bad saying it, but let's be honest. :-)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Running builds endurance and stamina. Walking is great for burning calories but if you want to increase your stamina, see if you can get some running mixed in.

This, plus a big one, running builds bone density and walking does not. I am turning 60 on my next birthday making me old enough to start thinking about bone density as I age, so it's a is a huge push towards running for me. It's also a issue for all women of any age.
  • kazzari
    Options

I was JUST wondering about this a few hours ago (yeah I suppose I could have tested it with my HRM but at least I know now). It does make sense that running burns more because with that gait your heart rate is more elevated.

Thanks for posting this!!!!!:smile:

It does make sense. The idea that intensity has no impact on total calories burned over a certain distance has always baffled me. Nice to have that issue finally cleared up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Power walkers always look to me like they need to find a bathroom ASAP but are afraid the flood gates will open if they break into a run. :blushing:
  • kazzari
    Options

This, plus a big one, running builds bone density and walking does not. I am turning 60 on my next birthday making me old enough to start thinking about bone density as I age, so it's a is a huge push towards running for me. It's also a issue for all women of any age.

From what I have read, running only builds bone density in your lower leg bones. I also have read that the best way to build bone density in your hips is doing weighted squats. Admittedly, it has been a few years since I read this, and new studies are coming out all the time , so I could be wrong.
  • kazzari
    Options
    Power walkers always look to me like they need to find a bathroom ASAP but are afraid the flood gates will open if they break into a run. :blushing:
    Q
    LOL. Well then I probably spend a lot of time looking like a power walker after all.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    at the same speed? i dont think you're going to get as many benefits from running if it's at a speed that you can walk since it's not that difficult for your body.

once you reach the walking/running threshhold it's harder for your body to walk since it's less efficient and therefore more calories burned. for instance my threshhold is about 4.8/4.9 on the treadmill. it's more comfortable for me to run it (gives me a lower heart rate) than if i were to power walk it
  • lion_queen
    Options
    Im not sure, if I can walk with a 10mph speed...