pilates?

Options
Has anyone tried pilates? did you get stronger, more defined or leaner? I am interested in starting pilates but i dont know anyone who has done it before so i wanted to find out if anyone had good/bad experiences before paying for classes!

Replies

• maxdwolf
    maxdwolf Posts: 18
    Options
    I took some pilates at a climbing gym I once attended. It's an interesting add in to the fitness regimen, imo. A great deal of focus on the core and it will improve flexibility over time. I wouldn't replace much of anything with it though.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    thanks for you input! :) strengthening my core and become more flexible are 2 things i would definitely like to do. I already do cardio and strength training so maybe it will be a good addition.
  • shoeluver67
    shoeluver67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i had the best body EVER when i was doing pilates on a regular basis (2-3 times a week). my friend was trying to get certified, and i was her guinea pig...it was awesome! unfortunately she moved away and it's just TOO expensive for me to do (you really need the one on one, or small group reformer lessons). But my bod was great then....*sigh*
  • rose_ruby
    rose_ruby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do mat-work Pilates once a week since January. I have noticed a difference and a help in my running. Definitely need to be doing it 2-3 a week to see a real change. I have a book and a mat of my own and should really do it more in my own time. Also find it very relaxing, esp as my class is in a converted church!
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    cool!! im glad it worked for you guys. i found a place where classes are $12/lesson for a group class. i dont know if thats a good deal or how big the classes are but i figured since its not that much it may be worth a shot. what do you wear to a pilates class??
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just bought a "10 minute solutions" pilates dvd and I am making an attempt to do a session every day, to supplement my other workouts. I took a pilates class once and never went back; the stuff everyone was able to do was amazing and I felt really inadequate lol But this dvd is great because I can modify as I need to and my goal is to be able to do the movements just like the woman in the DVD does them. I'm very tight in the hamstrings so hopefully it will help with that too. I am thinking of also integrating a yoga DVD if I can find another short session one that is good. I really love weights and interval cardio but I feel like my fitness will be more rounded by integrating these other exercise types.
  • sar04tamu
    sar04tamu Posts: 27
    Options
    I love pilates. Be sure the class isn't too big, and tell the instructor it's your first time. Form is very important, and you want someone watching to make sure you're doing the moves right. I wear a sports bra, tank top, and capri yoga pants. Don't wear a big t-shirt because it will get in the way. And it's usually done barefoot. Hope you enjoy it.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    thanks for your advice everyone!! hopefully i can find a small class with other new pilates people. do you have to be barefoot? i have plantar warts on one of my feet, they are painful and can spread to other people esp at gyms, most people dont get them i think though :/
    i am now excited to get in a pilates class!!
  • maxdwolf
    maxdwolf Posts: 18
    Options
    I always went in bare feet, but if I recall correctly socks would work. It's nice that you are concerned about your fellow attendees. I recommend getting your own mat (that also protects you as well).
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,209 Member
    Options
    Pilates or any other core work will make all your other workouts better! Everything is really a core exercise at its base, and keeping a "navel to spine" feel during any exercise makes it work more effectively. Pilates for Dummies is an easy way to get started if you don't feel like taking a class. Just get down on the floor and start! You won't regret it.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    thanks everyone! i just found pop pilates on youtube so i am going to look at that tomorrow and try to get some basics down before signing up for a class!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I take pilates at my gym and I really enjoy it!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I have been doing mat pilates at home with dvds since January of 2011. I saw results within two weeks in my abs and my butt and thighs. I actually look forward to doing it every morning and have not missed a day in over a year. I love pilates!
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    katie-you saw results that quick?!! thats amazing!!great motivation for me to start! how many minutes do you do it for each day?
  • emilyhwithlove
    Options
    oh! i used to do pilates around 3-4 times a week for an hour and i honestly started becoming more aware of myself and my body after the first week. by the third week i could feel my abs and legs getting stronger. by the 3rd month i was able to go into more intermediate pilates and lost some weight from it.

now i'm practicing yoga and strengthening my core. but really, pilates is usually talked about poorly; and i don't understand why. it is fabulous :)
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Pilates is a great additon to any fitness program. It helps strengthen your core muscles (abs, back, obliques and stabilizer muscles) as well as helps to lengthen and loosen muscles. It is considered moving meditation.
    I noticed that I stand taller and because my core is tighter it helps support my body in all other activities in which I participate. It's especially good for improving my performance in running and spinning (I can stay in a standing or hover position without a problem).
    Try to take it at least twice/week... And enjoy it!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I thought i saw somewhere that pilates was invented as rehab for wounded soldiers and the like.
    So it's like a guided get your body working better...thing...
  • skeslack
    skeslack Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pilates is one of the very best forms of exercise there is. Dancers and athletes have known this for 60 years or more. I am currently training to be certified in STOTT Pilates and all the intensive work in our courses to learn how to teach (which means learning every exercise and every modification) changed my body for the better in a matter of 4 weeks--stronger, leaner...my butt was even more shapely! If you can afford a couple of private lessons with a certified instructor in your area then you will get more benefit out of the group classes. Also find out where your group instructor got his/her training and whether they are certified and through what group. You do get maximal benefit by doing all the exercises correctly and precisely and you might need specific modifcations to allow you to do everything correctly. Research it and go for it! You won't be sorry!
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    awesome!! good luck becoming an instructor!
    hopefully i can get some private lessons if i can scrape the money together. seems like no one has anything bad to say about pilates :)
  • KayVee
    KayVee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Picking up Pilates was the greatest thing I ever did for myself.. My body has become lean and flexible, along with impeccable posture! I fell in love with it so much I became an instructor!