liquid intake question

bricker06
bricker06 Posts: 316
edited September 18 in Food and Nutrition
do you count coffee, juice, tea, milk, or diet soda toward your watter intake for the day?? i always drink my 8 glasses but occasionally i have a diet rootbeer. should i be counting that??

Replies

• do you count coffee, juice, tea, milk, or diet soda toward your watter intake for the day?? i always drink my 8 glasses but occasionally i have a diet rootbeer. should i be counting that??
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    I never count anything other than actual water as my water intake for the day. This way I'm sure I'm getting all my water in and the extra water I get is a bonus. I think you probably can count it...I just never do. Hopefully this helps...

*Kistinbee*
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    You can count hot water with lemon but anything else should be counted. dd
  • I was told in my nutrition class that anything that is carbonated or has caffeine in it cannot be counted as water because it doesnt hydrate the body like water does.

This means (unfortunately) diet soda doesnt count :grumble:
    I hate that because I drink a LOT of diet soda.

But on the up side, if you like those crystal light caffeine free teas or juices, you can count that as water, and they are low calorie too!

Hope this helps!:happy:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    caffienated and carbonated actually dehydrate but all other items do count. An easy way to tell if you are getting enough water is your urine should be clear or very slightly yellow (and by slightly I mean barely yellow).

We also get water from our food, so if you eat veggies and fruit you are getting water there too.

You know you have not had enough when your urine is definetely yellow or almost orange in color or if you actually feel thirsty. By the time we feel thirsty we are already dehydrated.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    caffienated and carbonated actually dehydrate but all other items do count. An easy way to tell if you are getting enough water is your urine should be clear or very slightly yellow (and by slightly I mean barely yellow).

We also get water from our food, so if you eat veggies and fruit you are getting water there too.

You know you have not had enough when your urine is definetely yellow or almost orange in color or if you actually feel thirsty. By the time we feel thirsty we are already dehydrated.

Unless you eat a lot of beets or asparagus or spinach...:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.