LAP BAND?????? WHAT?

Options
Okay I went to my doctor on Wednesday and he said that I need to really try hard for the next 3 months on my 1500 calorie diet and if he and I don't like the weight loss results then we would discuss lap band. I'm not sure how I feel about it I mean it's not totaly out of the question but I was wondering if anyone has had it or knows someone that has had it and what the results where. Thank you for any advice.

Replies

• Kbrain228
    Options
    Okay I went to my doctor on Wednesday and he said that I need to really try hard for the next 3 months on my 1500 calorie diet and if he and I don't like the weight loss results then we would discuss lap band. I'm not sure how I feel about it I mean it's not totaly out of the question but I was wondering if anyone has had it or knows someone that has had it and what the results where. Thank you for any advice.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Sharron Osborne has it. I am not 100% sure if she had it removed yet. She was talking about having it removed. She lost over 100 pounds.
    You can do is if you put your mind to it. Plan your meals and focus. You show your doctor that you will did it without the band.
    Good luck to you.
  • Guarina
    Options
    i went though the process for gastric and my doctor did not want to ok. when i mention lab band she was much more happy and will recommended just cause is reversible and she knows im much more active it is not a bad thing... without a work out and following a diet you can loose 45 lbs a year but the weight will stay off!!! which is a more healthy way to loose weight.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know her personally but Sharon Osbourne (as in OZZY's Wife) had this done, it is similar to gastric bypass only it is not permanent. You can have the lap band removed when you feel like you are in control of your eatting. Sharon had hers removed sometime in the last year and she has gained a little back but she looks good.

You should try real hard to learn to do it the old fashioned way, in my opinion, because the lap band still has some of the side effects of the bypass surgery, like vomitting if you overeat. Your doctor is giving you the choice to get healthy or be forced to get healthy so I think the ball is in your court, hit that sucker hard!

good luck
  • kckat96
    Options
    I had the full gastrac bypass in 2000 and lost almost 300 lbs....(weighed over 500lbs at the time). Because I had problems with meat protien (made me feel sick) I started eating carbs and lots of them....they were so easy on my system...which resulted in gainning back 100 lbs. I don't know much about the lap band but I would ask questions on what foods will be the hardest on your system or that might cause you problems. Then go from there. It's not something I would recomend unless your life is in danger....mine was at that time but I'm doing great now (some really great people told me about vegetable protien....and I'm learning to eat balanced meals) down 18lbs so far....go kc...go kc:bigsmile: . Good Luck....hugs from kckat96
  • Kbrain228
    Options
    Thanks guys I'm feeling a little better about this
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    My uncle actually had this done yesterday, but I haven't heard from him yet so I don't know how the procedure went. Also with only having it a day I'm guessing he hasn't had any weight loss yet. I do know that he had to lose 50 pounds (which he did in 6 mo on slim fast) before he had it done because he was too big for the operating table. You think if he could do that that he would be able to stick to a plan and lose the rest.
  • kimford28
    Options
    I had a friend get the lap band about 2 years ago, and it seems to work for her. I remember that it was tough at first because after they put it in, they had to do a few adjustments... she also had to stick to a strick diet for the first few weeks. After that, anything she ate, had to be chewed many times so it would be able to pass through the band. If she ate to fast, she sometimes threw up. Nothing major though... Keep up posted on what you do!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Have a friend who had lapband several years ago with great results. She lost a bunch of weight and has successfully kept it off. She would recommend it to anyone who has a serious amount of weight to lose.