What are healthy choices at a Mex. restaurant?

Hubby wants Mexican and I don't want to cook. *laziness kicking in...

Replies

• AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    I wouldn't worry in the scope of a single day. It's going to make little difference both in terms of health and weight. If you go crazy, though, you'll set yourself back a bunch of calorie but that's it. You aren't going to be unhealthy from eating anything you want there.
  • KLaurean
    KLaurean Posts: 112
    fish or grilled chicken tacos in a corn shell that has not been fried
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    I get the veggie fajitas, no butter or oil just dry grilled with black beans, pico de gallo and guacamole. No cheese, sour cream and no tortillas.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Fajitas
  • jhp2007
    jhp2007 Posts: 6
    SOUPA DE POLLO!!! MY FAVE!!!
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Meat, veggies, beans, guacamole. Stay away from the rice.
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Sweet! I've never tried these, I used to only get enchiladas. Thanks!
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    bump =)
  • katglaze
    katglaze Posts: 45 Member
    I do fajitas without the sides or tortillas. Sometimes I am able to find Vegetarian Fajitas, but chicken, fish or shrimp will do!
  • edjuljen
    edjuljen Posts: 4 Member
    I love Pozole - delicious soup with Pork. 2 versions - white (blanco) or red (roja) and you typically top the soup with shredded cabbage and onions. Delicious and filling and probably under around 300 calories. Perhaps some cerviche, too.....enjoy!
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Wow, you guys are fast. By the time my comment went in, 10 more responses. Why stay away from the rice?
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    It depends on your taste, dietary needs, and what other food items you have recently eaten.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Wow, you guys are fast. By the time my comment went in, 10 more responses. Why stay away from the rice?

Yeah, why stay away from the rice?
  • Wow, you guys are fast. By the time my comment went in, 10 more responses. Why stay away from the rice?

it's fried!!
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    The rice a lot of time has lard or oil in it, so the calories are higher. Plus a plain cup of rice is 200 calories, so with all of the extras they put in it you are looking at 300-500 calories.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Rice tends to have a lot of carbs and can add up quickly if eating out.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    I would avoid chips they are always fried in fat and pick choices with little cheese, cheese is very high calorie. If you can avoid tortillas too. Water is good LOL. I usually get the fajitas with no tortillas and eat them without cheese / sour cream.
  • Ceviche is the best choice. Very few calories and a lot of protein.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Chicken fajita salad with salsa for dressing or chicken fajitas with corn tortillas and skip the cheese. Yum. Now I want Mexican food! :sad:
  • Sl1ghtly
    The rice a lot of time has lard or oil in it, so the calories are higher. Plus a plain cup of rice is 200 calories, so with all of the extras they put in it you are looking at 300-500 calories.

Why does this mean the op shouldnt eat rice today?