"Dieting" on the weekends...

Options
Lib_B
Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
How do you stay focused on the weekends? We have two little kids (age 5 & 2) and every couple of weeks, we go out for dinner as a family. I always hate the end result - usually a meal that ends up being in the neighborhood of 500-1500 cals.

Some examples of where we take our kids: Old Chicago, Olive Garden, pizza joints. When the hubby and I do "date night," I don't have a problem because we patronize local restaurants where there are actually chefs who will prepare you 4 oz of chicken or a small filet. But the chains where we take our kids...not so much. (we'd love to take our kids to the local places, but I won't pay $10 - $15 for a kid's plate they will pick over and complain about. if they would eat it, then i wouldn't mind so much)

When you eat at a sit-down (non-fast food) chain restaurant, which one's do you frequent and what do you order to stay within your cals/fats etc?

Replies

• ngarrett75
    ngarrett75 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Its always a gd idea to plan ahead and check out restaurant menus ahead of time online. That's what I do; otherwise it would be superhard to make healthy choices. Olive garden: soup and salad is always a gd choice. Any steakhouse: chicken or steak with veggies. Mexican restaurants: fajitas, limit the sides. Always try to sub out high-carb sides with veggies. Beware high cal salad dressings. And so and so forth. Gd luck!
  • Sarahafina
    Sarahafina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Subway and Arby's if you stay away from the fries, Qdoba, chick fil a, all have better choices.

Have you considered splitting a meal ?

I have a 14 month old son that can be a very picky eater and usually does not need or want an entire meal. At Qdoba for instance, I will have a bowl of chicken tortilla soup and he and I will split a children's chicken quesadilla meal. He will have half of the quesadilla with chicken, cheese, and pico, 1/2 cup applesauce, and milk and we end up with a doggie bag.

Kids meals are usually more appropriate in terms of calories/fat/salt for anyone eating out. While the kid's meal choices can be limited, splitting an adult meal with a spouse or girlfriend could also work. Or ordering appetizers as the meal (provided you steer clear of the fried boats of cheese and meat) could be another way to be celebrating or enjoying a meal out, without paying the 1200cal price tag. Sometimes it is not about what you order, but how much of it you end up eating. It can be a balancing act to make good choices while not feeling deprived, and sometimes it is good to eat what you are craving. Just be sure to really enjoy it, without guilt, or shame. Keep portions in mind and stop when you have had just enough.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    We go out every Friday when we go into town. I just make it a "cheat day" and eat what I want...I don't pay attention to the calories at the restaurants. One day a week or one meal a week usually won't affect your progress.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Workout more/harder, etc. to "earn" more calories, then check the menu/nutrition on-line before you go. A lot of times, I'll log a restaurant meal before I go which helps me stick to the plan rather than being tempted by all of the other choices.
  • MantraMommy
    Options
    I am a big fan of researching a menu before going to a restuarant. If that is not possible, ask for a nutrition guide of the menu. In most states, all restuarants (including fast food chains) are required to be able to provide this. My hubby works at Olive Garden so I have a nutrition guide at my house. Avoid: the breadsticks (swimming in butter which gives them that nice gloss), the salad dresing (20 gr of fat! whowza, eh?) and of course, anything with a cream sauce. Chicken alfredo is OBSCENE (1440 calories and 82 grams of fat.) Here is the online link: http://www.olivegarden.com/menu/nutrition/

Being proactive is the best defense against bad food choices. I almost ordered a McDonald's frappe thinking that it was "just a coffee drink." Oi vey!

Another thing to keep in mind. Don't accept that something HAS to be served as is on the menu. Substitute vegies for fries, etc.

:-) Happy eating!