First place in my first 5k!

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
Today I participated in a 5k for a camp that provides therapeutic support for families who have lost a child. My good friends (a husband and wife team, the ones who run the boot camp I do every Saturday), lost their daughter when she was almost five months old, and every year they do a 5k in her honor during her birthday month. It also hit a little close to home because I have a brother whose son passed away as a baby, so he was my inspiration too. A whole bunch of us from work got together and participated, and people were asking if I was going to run it. I said "I'll try, but I've never run that far outside before, so I'll probably have to walk some of it." I stuck in my headphones and put on my special playlist that I listen to when I need to remind myself that I can kick *kitten*, and off I ran. And ran the whole time...nonstop. Never have I done that before. It was just me, off by myself. I kept picking off the people in front of me "Just gotta pass that girl, just gotta pass that guy..." and on and on. I started to lose it a few times, thinking about the fact that I was running my *kitten* off, thinking about my nephew and my friend's daughter. And I started just bawling outright as I came upon the finish line. Luckily I had sunglasses on so everyone wasn't noticing me crying like a baby, but my guy friend came over and just hugged me and he told me how proud of me he was. Like I said, he runs the boot camp I do, and I've known him for three years. He's a big part of how I do so well today, and a big part of my getting fit. It was his daughter we were honoring, so he started to tear up too. It was very emotional.

Then, the group of us were together afterwards, hanging out chatting and they start doing the awards. Out of nowhere, I hear my name over the loudspeakers throughout the park...I was so confused, and thought someone was playing a joke on me. I ran up there and they gave me a small porcelain tile that kids at the camp had decorated. Then I thought that it was something that my friends were giving out., and they were like "No, you won that! You came in first place in your age group!" I said "My age group from the people in our group here, you mean?" She goes "NO! From EVERYONE who ran in the race!" I was f'ing floored! I was like "There's no chance I beat everyone in my age group in this whole damn race...impossible!" But I did! I did! I started to cry again. LOL

Had anyone ever told me when I weighed 249 lbs that one day, I'd not only run a 5K, but I'd beat everyone in my age group, I'd have thought they were nuts. But I did it...and every step was worth it. Everyone was so proud of me, and I am so proud of myself. If I can, you can.

From this: (249 lbs, 2000)

33.jpg

555.jpg

To this, today:

EllaRace42112.png

EllaRaceII42112.jpg

Replies

• cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Omg excellent story! Congrats:)
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    PS. You look amazing!
  • fordguy74
    fordguy74 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I bet you're very proud.
  • RunChristyRun
    RunChristyRun Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation! Congratulations on your win...that is awesome!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! What a transformation - physically and mentally. Congrats!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Congrats - you deserve it! :smile:
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Awesome story you look amazing !!!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! You're officially a runner! Even better that you did it for a cause. Keep it up!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    Best thing I've read in a long time. You look incredible and obviously deserved every bit of that sweet victory!:drinker:
  • nazashi
    nazashi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Awesome job! You're inspirational!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Awe. I got a tear reading this. You are an inspiration!

I ran my first today as well. I came in around 30 minutes. I went in thinking that if I get in before 35 mins, I would be floored. When I crossed the line, I asked a lady, is that clock right. When she said yes, I didn't believe it. :)
  • hwesp
    hwesp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah - you inspire me. I'm doing my first 5K in May and I have the same plan - run when I can and walk otherwise.
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Congratulations girl! That's excellent.... Very heartwarming and inspiring story. Well done on all the hard work that it took for you to get here.
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely incredible! I am so inspired by you and your story! Way to go :)
  • ratsyroo
    ratsyroo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That is AMAZING! You should be so proud of yourself. Such an inspiration!
    And on top of that, you look great too.....Way To Go!
    My first 5K is May 12 and I hope to feel as wonderful as you did when I finish that race =)
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! And fantastic job with the race!!! WOOHOO!! What a great feeling!!!
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to run in a race like that. That is so cool. You have done a great job and look great, congrats :smile:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    Aw thanks for sharing. What a beautiful story. Love it! Congrats! And you look amazing!
  • samiam321123
    samiam321123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!