cutting out meat...

Options
bitty1taz
bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
HI! So lately I've been having some health issues and one of which is that I'm noticing that after I eat red meat, particularly hamburger, I get violently sick. I get the cramping and then it's a mad dash to the bathroom where I feel as if I'm going to pass out. It doesn't seem to matter where the meat is from. I've tried in the past to be a vegitarian but I was really hooked on steaks. Now...after all that has been happening I don't think I'll have hat problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a cookbook that has easy meals? One that doesn't require a lot of strange things. The area I live in is horrible for getting some of the ingredients I see in some meals. Plus I hate cooking so it has to be simple.

Replies

• suzibanshee
    suzibanshee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey instead of ground beef now. I don't miss the beef at all.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    As opposed to learning all new recipes, perhaps you can consider finding meat substitutes to put into a lot of the favorite things you cook now.

You would be surprised how many different substitutions are available for various types of meat.

It goes beyond just veggie burgers in the frozen aisle.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    There are several vegetarian and vegan groups on this site that you may want to search for and check into.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You can get veggie burgers from a store like walmart. Just fry them up fast, throw it on a bun, and it's delicious :)

You can fry up some potatoes along with some egg and cheese, spice it up with salsa if you'd like!

If you'd like more, add me! My bestfriend is vegetarian and he always shares his ideas with me :)

I'm also trying to find this great site I used to go on. It's a very simple vegetarian meal site, but I cannot remember what it was called!
  • alphagirl82
    Options
    I have quite a few Moosewood cookbooks. I've never had any issues finding the ingredients that they use. There are also some pretty good, simple vegetarian recipes on allrecipes.com. In addition, whfoods.org is not purely vegetarian, but has many vegetarian recipes and focuses on preparing food in a way that retains the most nutrition.

Best of luck to you. I hope you feel better with the switch to vegetarianism. I had a similar problem back in 2007 and became a vegetarian for a year. It really helped with my stomach issues.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My favorite veg cookbook is The 5 Ingredient Vegetarian Gourmet by Nava Atlas - good, tasty recipes that are REALLY easy!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Lots of options on this. I eat red meat but opt (now) more toward fish, seafood, and chicken. That being said, this reaction to red meat is unusual and you may want to discuss it with your physician. As for me... I PERSONALLY am no fan of strict vegitarian diets. That is me and I certainly will not criticize another for their choices in life. It is very difficult to get adequate protein (particularly COMPLETE proteins) using only plant based foods.. Like I say.. That is me.. I'm sure there are those who could enlighten me on the values of the vegan lifestyle... However, there are a lot of other sources of proteins that do not include red meat.
  • dorkusmalorkus
    Options
    ive been a vegetarian since i was 11, since ive started at the gym, im trying to focus more onprotein since i never really gave it a thought before. beans thrown into anything can usually never be wrong. not all vegetarian recipes have weird *kitten* in them. i personally will skip over a recipe if it does! not tryin to spend freaking 5 hours in a store looking for god knows what and how to pronounce. have you tried baking tofu? thats generally a good way to go about protein sources, it takes a few tries but i PROMISE, its actually a good food. easy no-way-possible to fk up recipe, veggie broth with green onions, udon noodles (any place has them in the asian section) cabbage and firm cubed tofu, bring the broth to a boil, throw it all in, wait till the noodles are done, and voila!
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    101cookbooks.com is a beautiful food blog by Heidi Swanson who cooks exclusively vegetarian. The focus is more on delicious food than being meat-free. Some of the ingredients are a tad unusual (like spelt flour or fresh ginger-- not too crazy, but maybe not what I'd already have in the kitchen), but I like to use her recipes as inspiration and then substitute ingredients that I have on hand. Also, everything that I've cooked of hers is really delicious.

Even though she has some more complex recipes, she also has basic instructions on simple stuff and she writes in a way that makes me really excited to cook
  • stylishgirl
    stylishgirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    books: I love Mark Bittman's how to cook everything and how to cook everything vegetarian, both are like encyclopedia size (no pictures is the only downside) but instead of just a few recipes it talks about and explains each ingredient, so you can really see what all you can do with say butternut squash or artichokes.also, i like his Food Matters book for ideas on how to cook meals that will last throughout the week. like making a big pot of beans and a big pot (or 2 for variety) of grains/rice at the beginning of the week (or on a night when you have more time) and then turning those things into different meals. for instance, I'll make a pot of quinoa on sunday and use it for: breakfast bowls with banana or berries and cinnamon, stir fry, with chicken broth, garlic & sage as a soup, mixed in with turkey breakfast sausage, onion and cubed sweet potato as a hash, or even just with a little coconut oil & curry powder as a snack.

web: 101 cookbooks has lots of great vegetarian recipes accompanied with makes you hungry photography

sourcing difficult to find but make your life easier ingredients: amazon & bob's red mill website. after scuttling back to the store 3 times a week I've started researching larger 10-25 pound bags of things like brown rice and quinoa. quinoa is easy to make, higher in protein than many other grains, and has a good amount of fiber.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Most red meats, especially beef, are very hard to digest. A friend of mine had to cut out beef for several months due to damage to his intestines caused in part by a wheat gluten allergy. fish and chicken were still ok, as was lamb. After his intestines healed he was able to start eating beef again, but has had to keep it limited. His wife does a lot of cooking so it was something they could adapt to. Now he wasn't getting violently ill like you're describing. Still, might want to find out if you've developed a food allergy or if there is something more going on. Definitely recommend talking to your physician and possibly and allergist.