Plateau-Close to goal Question?

Options
I have seriously hit a plateau. I have been stuck at 145 since April 8th. 2 weeks tomorrow. I've done this twice before. I was at 169 for a little over 2 weeks. & 155 for 2 weeks. I don't know what's going on. My calorie intake is good. I've actually started jogging every day. And I've added an upper arm routine with 5 lb. weights. The only thing I can think of is that I am building muscle and retaining water as the muscles heal. It's just frustrating after doing so well, to be stuck. I am so close to my goal. Just 10 more lbs. I'm tired of the 140's. lol. Anyone else experience this after a steady weight loss success? And what did you do to break the plateau?

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    HIIT
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • MommyRobin
    MommyRobin Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    HIIT

What? lol
  • hbehrle
    hbehrle Posts: 13
    Options
    Change up your routine. Do the whole thing backwards and confuse your body. If you normally do cardio first, do your weights first. If you do elliptical....do it pedaling backwards. Or choose a different cardio routine all together. Good luck!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    two weeks at the same weight when you're near to goal while increasing exercise is probably not a plateau. :)

i've been hovering around 148 for a month while increasing my fitness rapidly. weight isn't changing, but inches are falling off.

i'd say give it a bit more time and check your measurements.

looking gorgeous, by the way ;)
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    HIIT

What? lol

High-intensity interval training (HIIT)
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    HIIT

What? lol

High Intensity Interval Training...

I don't really do HIIT, but probably should! I do run/walk intervals (with varying intensities) on the treadmill at times and do think it's an effective calorie burner. As far as the plateau....that's a hard one. I have only about 7 pounds to go and I am in the same boat unfortunately!
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i was at the same weight for 4 months. stick with it... but change up your exercise.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    with weights, make sure you are working each muscle group not just the ones you can see.
    eg 2 exercises for arms, 2 for shoulders, 2 for back, 2 for legs, 2 for pecs
  • MommyRobin
    Options
    two weeks at the same weight when you're near to goal while increasing exercise is probably not a plateau. :)

i've been hovering around 148 for a month while increasing my fitness rapidly. weight isn't changing, but inches are falling off.

Thanks. Well, it feels like a plateau to me, because I lost almost 2 lbs. a week steadily for almost 8 months. lol. I've lost 80 lbs. in about a year. Now that I am close to my goal it seems really hard to lose. I check my measurements the beginning of each month.
  • MommyRobin
    Options
    i was at the same weight for 4 months. stick with it... but change up your exercise.

Thanks. I will stick to it. I've come too far to give up now. I have recently changed my exercise routine and I think that may be causing the stall. I think I am building muscles in my legs and retaining water as they heal. I normally just did elliptical with occasional Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred workout. I add ab and arm exercises on days that I don't do the Shred. I added running a 5k at the local track every day for the last month or so. I have dropped the Shred since I've been running. I also added an arm workout with 5 lb. weights.
  • MommyRobin
    Options
    HIIT

Does Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 workouts count as HIIT? I plan to start another round of Shred May 1. Thanks.
  • jdm120
    jdm120 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels would certainly count as interval training. Anything that raises your heart rate, then brings it back down again, and then up again etc will make your body work harder. I have heard it is the most effective way to burn. My session at the gym includes a 10 min warmup, weights for about 20 minutes then I do 20 minutes of interval followed by stomach exercises and then if I'm still not done, another 10 mins of cardio.

Also, I am not sure what you're eating but I've heard the last 10lbs are the most stubborn. You're probably eating well already considering how much you've lost but if you haven't already, start looking at the kind of calories you're consuming vs plain calories. A high protein diet might kick your off your plateau and get you going again.

Good luck :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Thanks. Well, it feels like a plateau to me, because I lost almost 2 lbs. a week steadily for almost 8 months. lol. I've lost 80 lbs. in about a year. Now that I am close to my goal it seems really hard to lose. I check my measurements the beginning of each month.

Did it stop losing almost immediately - like when you started exercising?
    Or did it slow down the weeks before, 2lbs loss, 1.5, 1, .5, nothing, nothing?

And did you increase calories or feed those workouts when you started them?

And is this the first decent aerobic workouts you have been doing up until now?
    Running really trains the muscle to store glucose/water, since it's generally needed. And if going at high intensity mainly burning carbs, body responds by trying to store more of them.
  • MommyRobin
    Options

Running really trains the muscle to store glucose/water, since it's generally needed. And if going at high intensity mainly burning carbs, body responds by trying to store more of them.

I lost about 2 lbs. a week since Sept 2011 til Feb, 2012. After Valentine's Day I have lost about a lb. a week. until April 8. I haven't lost any weight since then. I started running right around that about a week before that.

I do 120 min. of elliptical every day at about 50 to 60 RPM at a level 5 resistance. I have been doing elliptical since Sept, 2011, never missed a day. Thanks.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I lost about 2 lbs. a week since Sept 2011 til Feb, 2012. After Valentine's Day I have lost about a lb. a week. until April 8. I haven't lost any weight since then. I started running right around that about a week before that.

I do 120 min. of elliptical every day at about 50 to 60 RPM at a level 5 resistance. I have been doing elliptical since Sept, 2011, never missed a day. Thanks.

This looks about right. i saw that you're within healthy BMI, so i'd recommend setting your calorie goals to reflect a 1lb or possibly as low as 0.5lb loss so that you continue getting plenty of fuel.

I can't see your diary so can't comment on diet much, but if you're running you're going to be building muscle for a while, so try to eat a bit more protein than usual.

Good luck!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have seriously hit a plateau. I have been stuck at 145 since April 8th. 2 weeks tomorrow. I've done this twice before. I was at 169 for a little over 2 weeks. & 155 for 2 weeks. I don't know what's going on. My calorie intake is good. I've actually started jogging every day. And I've added an upper arm routine with 5 lb. weights. The only thing I can think of is that I am building muscle and retaining water as the muscles heal. It's just frustrating after doing so well, to be stuck. I am so close to my goal. Just 10 more lbs. I'm tired of the 140's. lol. Anyone else experience this after a steady weight loss success? And what did you do to break the plateau?

The closer to your goal that you get, the slower the weightloss. Do nto be fooled however, stick to your plan, continue your exercise - eventually you reach your goal - but yes, it does tend to slow towards the end.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I so know how you feel, for the past 3 weeks i've been stuck at 141.4lbs and its so frustrating cause im doing really well with food and exercise. So this week i've decided to change my plan a little. Im just dying to get back into the 130s and being stuck at 141.5lbs for the past 3 weeks just takes the biscuit! ha
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

No comment about increasing calories.

You've probably gotten to the level that even though your metabolism should be slower at less weight, it's even slower than that, and you increasing burn and a bigger than wise deficit and not feeding the workouts is causing you to slowly enter eating at maintenance level.
    Explains why you slid into this, didn't just stop.

If you are adding workouts, you need to eat more. Your deficit that has been potentially realistic this whole time no longer is, and you've added to it by more workout using up eaten calories first.

You really don't want to go into goal weight with slower metabolism, you'll find it very difficult if not discouraging to try to eat at maintenance and gain weight.

As others suggested, change goal to 1lb or 1/2 lb weekly, and feed that additional workout.

You probably are not adding new energy stores since you've already been doing cardio, so that's not it.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I so know how you feel, for the past 3 weeks i've been stuck at 141.4lbs and its so frustrating cause im doing really well with food and exercise. So this week i've decided to change my plan a little. Im just dying to get back into the 130s and being stuck at 141.5lbs for the past 3 weeks just takes the biscuit! ha

That's me too. I'm adjusting my whole exercise regime to see if that helps.