Nutrition Label Surprises

Options
So, the other day I went to Costco and picked up my usual bag of Kirkland Trail Mix only to realize that one serving (a measly three tablespoons--ha! they don't even measure it by cup) carries with it a solid 160 calories. Now I know trail mix can be a good snack and that nuts provide healthy fats, but this seriously blows my mind. I am in disbelief to the point I'm ready to call Costco and demand an investigation into this erroneous nutrition label! Three tablespoons is a joke--I just picture measuring them out only to eat about 2 almonds, a few raisins, and an m&m. Mmm! So satisfied! Pfft. I'm better off eating just almonds.

On the flip side, as a former coffee virgin, I was delighted to learn that black coffee is virtually calorie free! Yes, please.

So I'm curious, now that you're tracking calories and checking labels like a crazy person, what food or drinks have surprised you most?

Replies

• Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have the same frickin' issue with Costco Trail Mix...I got the individual packets...and they label it with the 3 tablespoons as well...but the whole individual packet is 400 calories...what kind of snack is that...so I have to enjoy it only eating half of it...and even that to me is considered more of a 200 calories pleasure snack...
  • amcharanek
    Options
    Well I hate that pop tarts are 200 calories for ONE PASTRY. Not one Package. How the hell am I supposed to open the wrapping and only have one pastry??? smh
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    This is how I feel about the Whole Foods granola...ugh!
  • jencute
    jencute Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ive seen whole cashews clock in at 170 cals for TWO tablespoons. Those are the types of things that i seriously start doubting the label and launch an in depth investigation about. Sometimes oatmeal or muesli can me surprisingly high cal, and a lot of hot cereals that actually do have some good stuff in them can be like 180-200 for a whopping fourth cup. Like, how is that gonna do me for breakfast?
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Well I hate that pop tarts are 200 calories for ONE PASTRY. Not one Package. How the hell am I supposed to open the wrapping and only have one pastry??? smh

Dude, I feel you. When the boyfriend buys them, I just glance at them every so often in the pantry. lol If I open the little foil package it's over.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Not so much a label in a store, but I was surprised at how much sodium some of the Subway sandwiches have.
  • seizethefray
    Options
    I have the same frickin' issue with Costco Trail Mix...I got the individual packets...and they label it with the 3 tablespoons as well...but the whole individual packet is 400 calories...what kind of snack is that...so I have to enjoy it only eating half of it...and even that to me is considered more of a 200 calories pleasure snack...

BS, right? I considered buying the individual servings too until I noticed the same measurement. If you're going to pre-package snacks, at least make the package one serving size instead of messing around with silly tablespoons. Ugh.
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I thought the individual packet would be a serving as so many companies have decided to go with that philosophy like the 100 calories packs...in this case Costco please get with the program...measuring out tablespoons is not fun and so impossible not to eat the whole individual packet

BS, right? I considered buying the individual servings too until I noticed the same measurement. If you're going to pre-package snacks, at least make the package one serving size instead of messing around with silly tablespoons. Ugh.
  • ninaquelinda
    Options
    I used to eat a can of beefaroni for lunch on occasion until I started using this site and looking at calories and fat etc.... now I have soup instead!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Dude, I feel you. When the boyfriend buys them, I just glance at them every so often in the pantry. lol If I open the little foil package it's over.

Plastic sandwich bag...

I agree those "individual packets" that are still 2-3 "servings" are very misleading and annoying!
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ahh I just try to focus on the types of calories I'm consuming (protein/carb/fat ratio) and decide if it's worth it. If it's a healthy snack (unsalted nuts), sure.. I eat a few more. Calories isn't the end all be all of fitness.
  • seizethefray
    Options

Plastic sandwich bag...

I agree those "individual packets" that are still 2-3 "servings" are very misleading and annoying!

Oh, it will never make it to the sandwich bag. lol
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Europe, Australia and other countries require labels to have "per 100 g". They're allowed to put serving sizes in addition.

American label laws only require serving size. They're allowed to put "per 100 g" but many don't. It's partly because US labels use more units (cups/tbsp/oz/g/servings) and are therefore more cluttered than in the rest of the world. But it's partly so they can make claims of low fat/salt/sugar/calories. That's why we see nonsense serving sizes like 3/4 of a bag of chips or half an "Individual" container of nuts.
  • mclarenemma
    Options
    You could always make your own trail mix - bag of mixed nuts, some dried bananas, apples and sultanas, and if you desperately need chocolate, little chocolate buds (preferably dark chocolate). Work all the cals out, and then take your serving size to what you think is going to be a good cal count for you - you really only need about 10 almonds a day. You also need to ensure you are only eating about 30gm of brazil nuts (approx 6-8?) as they are full of selenium, especially if you take a mineral supplement with selenium in it.
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I thought my veggie burrito atQudoba would be a healthy treat, till I looked it up and realized it was most of my days worth of calories! I haven't been back since!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Trail mix is really reserved for those situations when you are burning off calories in a major way: i.e. hiking through the Rockies with 30 lbs on your back, or on a canoeing expedition on a river emptying into the Arctic ocean. In those situations you need the calories and the high level of nutrition in trail mix. It is substantial, quick energy.

It's not a snack for people who sit at a desk all day.

Nuts are really high in calories, and if you are on a low cal diet, a small quantity can really take up a huge chunk of your daily allotment. Just look up the cals in a handfull of Virginia peanuts!
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    A lot of young mother don't realize that milk has sugar in it. AKA it can rot your babies teeth.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Those powdered coffee things..Maxwell House International Cafe or something.

Instructions, place 4 tsp in 6 oz of water. heat.

Serving size 1 1/3 tsp!!!!!! wtf!

They do it so they can say they don't have trans-fat ...but they do =(
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    A lot of young mother don't realize that milk has sugar in it. AKA it can rot your babies teeth.

Err fruit has sugar in it too, OMG!!!
    Not juice...aaah!!!
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Most things do have a measurement next to the serving size. Just weigh it out. I was shocked to weigh my "serving size" of peanut butter (at least what I thought was 2 tablespoons)... It was freakin 3 servings -> 630 cals :sad: