Weight Lifting for Weight Loss: When Do I Start?

Options
124»

Replies

• NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ that's what I'm talking about :-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Now. Cardio sucks for weight loss, unless you have hours of free time every day.

That's crap, get your facts right...............................All I've done is cardio and eating 1200 cals per day, and I've lost almost 2 stone in less that 4 months!

You want to be thin and flabby? Then do only cardio.

You want to be thin, tight and sexy? Then do cardio and heavy weights.

To OP:
    Lift now.. you are never to large to start weight lifting.

I started at 180 pounds, now down to 150 and 4 sizes smaller then I was when I weighed 150 four years ago.

Let me just correct you there......I'm certainly NOT thin and flabby!!!

Did you take measurements then and now? I'm interested I how much lean mass you lost/gained/maintained doing just cardio.

I'd be interested too...
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to download NROLFW?
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Some really great info in this I just started again on loosing weight and am wondering about the new rules for women thing that comes up frequently on here where can I find it? is is a website...
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    OP - Great topic! Thank you for posting, I'm in the same place you are. Nerdfitness.com is another great website. Good luck to you!
  • clbozz
    clbozz Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Nancy,
    Lifting weight is essential to weight loss! According to the American College of Sports Medicine , of every pound you lose, 28% of that lost weight is lost muscle. So.....if you are losing an additional 80 pounds that will equal 22.4 pounds of lost muscle. All that lost muscle equals a slowdown of your metabolism, which usually results in a weight gain. Seriously consider working with a certified trainer, (not just the 'big' guy you know down the street, unless he is certified) Not necessarily every time, but, once every 6 weeks have them design you a new program. Keep safe, and injury free.....good-luck!!
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    Is there any way to download NROLFW?

This
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    Hi Nancy,
    Lifting weight is essential to weight loss! According to the American College of Sports Medicine , of every pound you lose, 28% of that lost weight is lost muscle. So.....if you are losing an additional 80 pounds that will equal 22.4 pounds of lost muscle. All that lost muscle equals a slowdown of your metabolism, which usually results in a weight gain. Seriously consider working with a certified trainer, (not just the 'big' guy you know down the street, unless he is certified) Not necessarily every time, but, once every 6 weeks have them design you a new program. Keep safe, and injury free.....good-luck!!

Thank you so much for breaking that down for me!
  • lokin4deer
    lokin4deer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good stuff here. Is the info the same for guys too?
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The first and most important thing is to have your diet sorted,then your exercise.
    Go for a 45 to 60 min full body work out, that mainly consists of compound movements,do it twice or three times a week, followed by a 15-20 min cardio session. That should be all you need to get things moving!
    To work out your calorie deficit, click on my name and you will see a quick guide on how to work it out.
    Good luck.
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the great info and advice.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Good stuff here. Is the info the same for guys too?

Pretty much so, yes. Years back I lost just shy of 90 lbs very fast with diet restriction and running (read: Cardio only). I got to goal weight and was "skinny fat" - what the other poster called "flabby" - it was de-motivating and I had no reason to stay at that weight. Didn't care.

Now - I am doing it different this time. Weight training (couple times a week - no body part worked more than once a week but worked to failure) and LIGHT cardio for maybe 15 to 20 minutes a couple times a week. My issue with the lengthy cardio was that the body was getting MORE efficient so to burn the same - had to do even MORE to get the same burn. So - with that - I am cutting that back as I want to remain an inefficient burner rather than efficient. I will let my ticker below speak for the results since mid-January.

And I get to eat more with this way, too :)
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You can download NROLW from the app store for about $15 or Amazon if you have a Kindle.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i hear the kindle version doesnt have pictures.
    i'd personally suggest buying the hardback version if possible .

oh and also get a copy of starting strength by mark rippetoe. it's a great resource for strength training info
  • shoosh413
    shoosh413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My trainer started me on strength training right away. My starting weight at the gym was 264lbs. I am now 257.