need advice, 5k or 10k?

Options
OK, so I am not a runner, but I have always been capable of jogging if I wanted to. I've had a few times in my life where I've run/jogged consistently for a few months before tapering off. So, recently I just started jogging again and this time to keep myself on track I'm thinking of signing up for a race for Memorial Day Weekend. There is a race that I'm looking at and its 5k or 10k and I'm not really sure which to set my goal for. Since I've never done a race before, I'd think to start with the 5k, but I just went jogging today and did 3 miles in about 35 minutes (obviously not the best time but I only started up jogging again this week!)

So, supposing i have 5 weeks to train, should I try to focus on lowering my time for a 5k or do i set my sights higher to build up my stamina so I can complete a 10k? Any advice from other joggers/runners?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm even more of a beginner. Only managed my two miles yesterday, but I'd go with the 5k. In fact, I have. I'm doing my first 5k in October. I'll probably be guaranteed to finish, but I prefer the confidence than the effort of training for a 10k. I can work up to that.

I think it depends whether you want to be comfortable or want a challenge.
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I woud actually go for the 10k. Your 5k time is not at all bad and in a race situation you would probably go better than 35min. But a 10k is generally not run as fast as a 5k in terms of overall pace and you have 5 weeks to work towards the endurance! Go on give yourself a challenge.... you know you can do 5 already :)