New rules of lifting for women

Options
Looking into this, do I need barbell, dumbbells or both? Do I need any other equipment? Trying to work out how much its going to cost.
Also, this is a long shot, but is anybody in new Zealand done with their copy? Trying to keep costs low, doesn't have to be good condition, but no pages missing please. Price depends on condition :)

Replies

• BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've just read this and looks like, to me, that you'd need to have use of a gym to follow the plans exactly. But hopefully someone will have ideas as ways of doing the same workouts with things you can have at home like you mentioned. I'd like to be able to follow the plan at home as can't get to the gym as often as would be needed.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I can't get to the gym either, so hopefully someone will be able to answer that for us :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think there are quite a few people on here to use home gyms. maybe you can look into getting those adjustable dumbbells?

at the least you're going to need a bench, a squat rack, and a barbell with weight plates.

you can check for something like craigslist in your area where people sell things they no longer need.
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Good questions. I just ordered the book because so many people on here love it. Sounds like I need to start shopping for a gym.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thanks mesha. I hope I can do this on the cheap.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just bought it on bookdepository.co.uk, currently available for NZ$18.32, prob won't get it any cheaper on trademe.

As for cheap dumbells try trademe for some multilock ones, else number 1 fitness has quite cheap deals as well. Also some of the exercises can be done using body weight, and you can buy things like a pullup bar.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thanks ingies. I have already been looking on trademe for dumbbells and there is some good bargains to be had, however if I am going to need a squat rack it is going to be completely unattainable.
    Can anyone following the program confirm that I definately will need it? Or are there modifyed exercises I could do without it?
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I am thinking I could get an aerobic step and use that as a bench, would be cheaper, can anyone doing the programme confirm?
    I have ordered the book from the library but I am going to buy it if I go for it.
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I use an aerobic step as a bench for my step-ups and such. Check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women group on here. There are some people over there that are doing their workouts from home and may be able to help you out.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Great thanks, will do.
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    Hi,

I've never read/heard of the book, but a quick google search and it looks like you can download the workouts in PDF, so you wont have to buy the entire book

http://www.werkit.com/programs/nrol4w?token=7903af30-bb16-012a-f18c-001b63c16cd4

:flowerforyou:
  • jody75
    jody75 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do New Rules at home. For stage 1 I have dumb bells, a swiss ball, an aerobic step and a standard size barbell which I picked up used at a store called Play It Again Sports. You will not be able to do the program exactly without a squat rack. But there is plenty to be gained without it. There is a discussion group on here of women who are doing the program where you can learn a lot about various modifications. Hope this helps!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    i don't have a squat rack, but i do have a cheap weight bench with bench press rack that i raise up to use as squat rack. Yep, check out our NR group on here, lots of similar info there. Stairs are handy for step ups. A cheap dorway mounted chin-up bar can be a substitute for some of the pull down work.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I don't have stairs, so sounds like I will definately need an aerobic step either way, so I will use that as my weights bench as well, and just hope I can get by without the squat rack.
    I assume it will be awhile before I am lifting heavy enough to need one anyway? SO I may be able to get the basics first and put my brithday money towards a rack later in the year or something.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was able to squat about 86 lbs at home using just the rack on my bench to hold the barbell but at that point I didn't feel safe enough. The gym with a proper rack is so much better.

For stage 1 you can get by with using the step for your bench (for pullovers) but for stage 2 a proper bench for cuban snatches is better. Or you can do them bent over with your head on the wall to keep your back stable. For stage 3, you'll need it for YTWL at least (I'm not on stage 3 yet) but I did those on a ball when I was doing shoulder rehab, so maybe that would work.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thanks, how long are the stages? Trying to work out how long I will have to get the money together for different things if I buy the equipment in stages.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Thanks, how long are the stages? Trying to work out how long I will have to get the money together for different things if I buy the equipment in stages.
    The first stage is 6-8 weeks (2 or3, session a week)
    After that it is 3-4 weeks each stages
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Cool, thanks.
    So first stage I could get away with barbell, dumbbells and an aerobics step (also someone in the group mentioned a swiss ball, don't know if that is needed for first stage or not though) but by the time I reach second stage I need to add in a squat rack and bench. Anything else for the third stage?

I am really excited to do this, but still not sure if I can pull it off cost wise. I wish I had got into fitness before having kids, lol.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Reading other posts I think I am going to start with dumbbells and a swiss ball (and barbell if I can borrow it), then by stage 2 I hope to have a aerobic step, doubling as a weights bench.
    Will have to just do as much as I can without a squat rack until if/when I can afford one. I figure doing what I can afford, is better than doing nothing because I can't afford it all right?
    Quite excited, will wait for the book to get here now and look for deals on dumbbells and swiss balls.