Bummed by 1000 calorie count

Options
khara2012
khara2012 Posts: 1,051 Member
My life sucks. I recently went to the doctor for a regular old check-up and asked for some diet pills because I have recently started gaining some weight. He told me that for my age and weight I should be consuming 1000 calories a day. I joined myfitnesspal to begin keeping track of my regular calorie count each day and am finding it very difficult to stay within my current calorie goal of 1200 per day...not to mention that eventually I need to get to 1000. I am so sad. Bye-bye my friend Bailey's Irish Cream, bye-bye my friend chicken fried steak and gravy, and bye-bye to my old moto, "There's too much blood in my caffeine stream!" Gone are the days of delicious and creamy hot coffee every hour of the day. I feel like my new life is going to be as boring as washing my hair in the shower. Hello to my new moto, "Lather, rinse, repeat." :(

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Err that seems realllllllly low. Second opinion?
  • khara2012
    Options
    Hahaha. I agree!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Prime example that doctors aren't dietitians. Definitely get a second opinion as that's ridiculously low.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Coffee every hour? Yikes. I think you can still have coffee in your life, just in moderation. Maybe one or two a day? As for calories, 1000 does seem low. I would do two things:

1. Add exercise in because besides making you healthier it allows you more calories.
    2. Concentrate of getting a ton of veggies. They fill you up and are low calorie, high nutrient foods.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up caffeine!
  • bluemaggie
    bluemaggie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1000 calories does seem low. The more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn. Also, burning calories while exercising will allow you to consume more calories. For instance if you weigh 130 pounds and are muscular, you may burn 2000 calories in a day as opposed to someone who weighs 130 pounds but is not muscular who may only burn 1500 cal/day. Now, throw in some exercise, and that muscular girl who weighs 130 can consume 2400 cals without gaining weight. So build up those calories and exercise and you'll be able to eat more without gaining.
  • Tangerine16
    Tangerine16 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can still have any of these things. They just need to be fitted into your calorie count for the day/week.

It's hard at the beginning not to have something you crave every day, but the longer you eat less, and eat healthily, the less desire you'll have to eat the more unhealthy stuff.

You may find you'll lose quite fast on 1200 cals. I lost 10-11lb in the first month doing this.

14363700.png
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Ekkkk that is low. It would be really nice to go see a nutritionist and have a program adapted to you.
  • BrideToBe101212
    Options
    ******PLEASE READ!!********

Back in 2006 my doctor told me the SAME thing. I was only 20 at the time, but I weighed about 180 pounds. He said it was healthier for me to lose the weight quickly then to stay like that. The plan I was on was (Eat 1000 calories a day, walk about 5 miles a day). Let me tell you, that ended me up in the emergency room!!! I was passing out almost daily. Regular doctors really are not great at giving out advice like this. A nutritionist or dietician would be better suited.

My suggestions are to make those items treat meals.. (once a week or so) Eat more healthy foods so you can eat more and dont use up your calories so quickly and take a walk each day to gain a few more calories.

How many calories are you eating a day now? More than likely prior to coming onto a site like this, more of us are eating around 2000 without logging foods. If you subtract 500 a day to lose a pound per week, you can still eat 1500 a day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Your doctor needs to get the boot!

You don't have much to lose. Set your MFP goals to one pound a week and eat most of your exercise calories.

I'm about your age and lost weight eating 1.5 to 2 times as much as your doctor is suggesting!
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    My life sucks. I recently went to the doctor for a regular old check-up and asked for some diet pills because I have recently started gaining some weight. He told me that for my age and weight I should be consuming 1000 calories a day. I joined myfitnesspal to begin keeping track of my regular calorie count each day and am finding it very difficult to stay within my current calorie goal of 1200 per day...not to mention that eventually I need to get to 1000. I am so sad. Bye-bye my friend Bailey's Irish Cream, bye-bye my friend chicken fried steak and gravy, and bye-bye to my old moto, "There's too much blood in my caffeine stream!" Gone are the days of delicious and creamy hot coffee every hour of the day. I feel like my new life is going to be as boring as washing my hair in the shower. Hello to my new moto, "Lather, rinse, repeat." :(

First, forget the 1000 calories. Figure out your BMR and consume less than that.
    Second, log EVERYTHING you eat.
    Third, exercise..
    Fourth, drink lots and lots and lots of water. (8+ glasses daily)

If you do this, you'll drop the added pounds and feel better.

Lastly, and this is a personal preference, plan your meals so that you can have some of the things you enjoy. You'll just hate it otherwise and not want to maintain this change. Make room for the things you love. It may mean just having a little less of it, when you do, like not eating a chicken fried steak the size of a bus steering wheel. (I am in Texas, after all)
  • csingleton80
    Options
    I would totally go with a second opinion, one from a nutritionist, 1000 calories a day is SUPER low!!
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    You can still have any of these things. They just need to be fitted into your calorie count for the day/week.

It's hard at the beginning not to have something you crave every day, but the longer you eat less, and eat healthily, the less desire you'll have to eat the more unhealthy stuff.

You may find you'll lose quite fast on 1200 cals. I lost 10-11lb in the first month doing this.

14363700.png

^^This! If I had to entirely give up foods I loved, I couldn't succeed. Eventually you learn how to sneak them in, guilt-free and without sabotaging your success. Yesterday, I knew we would be taking the kids out for ice cream, so I did some extra cardio so I wouldn't feel like Debbie Downer without any ice cream. (I gave half of mine to my husband!)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    1000 calories a day is of course too low. But I also disagree with Lord007, who suggested eating below your BMR. Both bad advice.

You should be eating *at least* your BMR.

On the other hand, coffee every hour is not a good idea either. Time to break that addiction.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That really sounds unreasonably low. Do you exercise? If so, that sounds even more unreasonably low. Not to mention unsustainable in the long term, especially as you're already having trouble meeting a 1200 calorie goal. As others have suggested, maybe you should see a nutritionist and work out something that will work for you and be healthy and sustainable.
  • ngarrett75
    ngarrett75 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Consult a dietitian.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Cut out Baileys (it is ridiculously high in calories for what it is), grill stuff instead of fry (that cuts calories enormously). YOu do not have to cut out caffeine, but think twice about cream, it is ridiculously high in calories - did I already say that - oh yes I did.

Rethink your eating and drinking. You can still have alcohol, but not in abundance. You can still have steak, but do not fry it - actually don't fry anything, grilling does the job and does not tot up your daily calories allowance nowhere near as much.

It all depends on your priorities I guess, overweight or not :)
  • khara2012
    Options
    I bet I was at 2000 calories a day before I started logging my food. You may be right about the calorie reduction. I have lost 3 pounds so far in a little over 2 weeks and have gone over 1200 calories at least 3 or 4 days. I'm gonna' try to do my walking in the morning on the weekends (those are my bad days) and just do what I can during the week. My day is so busy I don't really get around to walking until 7 or so at night. I would rather get my metabolism going a little earlier in the day, if you know what I mean.
  • khara2012
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm a Texas girl, too, so you know I'm not cuttin' out my chicken fried steak!
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    And exactly what did this doctor look like from a calorie control perspective? It seems that many of these people are in dire need of a dietician themselves.

I once went to a doctor in my early 20's to have a septoplasty. The doctor came in with dirt under his fingernails and closely resembled Chet from the movie "Weird Science" after Kelly LeBroc got a hold of him. He looked at my nose and said he could fix my septum, and as an added bonus, he'd remove what he thought was a bump from the top. He said, "We'll make you look just like Michael Jackson!"

I ran. I did not walk.