Would you go to Mars?

alias1001
alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
I have been watching a series called Mars Rising on a Discovery channel this morning. Would you want to go to Mars if somehow you were given the chance?

Knowing you'd leave behind you family, friends, and the rest of your life for months/years?

Knowing you'd be stuck with people you may or may not like for those months/years?

Knowing you might not come back?

Replies

• ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    space yes.. mars specifically.. no..
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    wouldnt*

You wouldn't come back. You simply cant carry enough fuel.

There are tons of people who have already volunteered for these sorts of missions, so I'm sure some people are ok with it.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Nope. I tend to think we should spend that money on finding solutions for killing our own planet and feeding the people here who are starving.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    I'm not sure, given the consequences you've just posted.

However, it has been my lifelong dream to go to outer space..
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Yes.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    HECK YES.

Edited: Although, to be honest, I don't know if Mars would be my first choice; it might be worth the wait if we were going to make significant advancements in interplanetary travel and, therefore, open up a range of other destinations to choose from.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    If I could come back after a few years yea id go.
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Not sure I wanna go but I know some people I would like to volunteer :laugh:
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 75 Member
    wouldnt*

You wouldn't come back. You simply cant carry enough fuel.

There are tons of people who have already volunteered for these sorts of missions, so I'm sure some people are ok with it.

A friend of my dad's was in charge of picking people for the mission before it got scrapped, and I can tell you it doesn't matter how much fuel there is, no one would live long enough to make it back. The ship would be designed to be used to build the shelter there, and it would definately be a one way trip for anyone involved.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    john-carter-review-3.jpg

Is she there??

More seriously...(and sadly)...even if she were there, and guaranteed to be the perfect wife...I'd never leave my kids for that long.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    hell yeah
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Not sure I wanna go but I know some people I would like to volunteer

:laugh:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    No,upstate NY is too damn cold,why would I want worse then this?