wwhy to people on the Biggest Loser lose weight so fast?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I hate that show, because the way they do it is not practical, it's not healthy (which is why there's a whole crew of doctors on the sidelines at all times), and it gives people (viewers) false hope - that you too can lose 100lbs in a couple months.... I never watch that show, for all the reasons above, Of course following people who are real people, not secluded on some ranch, living their lives and losing weight the right way really wouldn't make for a good show now would it?

^ Great post.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    TBL is completely unrealistic. And frankly this season was terrible in terms of motivation--it was just all about drama and clashing personalities. I stopped watching after the first 3 or 4 terrible episodes. However, in defense of some of the former contestants, not EVERYONE who leaves the show gains all the weight back and reverts to unhealthy habits. But those are the people who basically make fitness their lifestyle. Allie (don't know her last name is one of them), Ashley Johnston, Michael Ventrella, are all running programs and/or promoting fitness activities still, they all seem to be continuing the work.

I met Dan Evans and his mom (from 3 or 4 seasons ago?) at a half marathon expo last fall. They now run a kid's fitness charity and last fall had a goal of running a half marathon a week or something like that. They were still in great shape.
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    TBL is completely unrealistic. And frankly this season was terrible in terms of motivation--it was just all about drama and clashing personalities. I stopped watching after the first 3 or 4 terrible episodes. However, in defense of some of the former contestants, not EVERYONE who leaves the show gains all the weight back and reverts to unhealthy habits. But those are the people who basically make fitness their lifestyle. Allie (don't know her last name is one of them), Ashley Johnston, Michael Ventrella, are all running programs and/or promoting fitness activities still, they all seem to be continuing the work.

I met Dan Evans and his mom (from 3 or 4 seasons ago?) at a half marathon expo last fall. They now run a kid's fitness charity and last fall had a goal of running a half marathon a week or something like that. They were still in great shape.

I don't have cable at home so I typically geek out on old seasons on TBL on Netflix. When I was at a friends house I caught an episode of the current season and 2 minutes in I could tell it's been shifted to another dramatic, purposeful set up of conflicting people that was cause 'interesting' competition. I was really sad, because despite all the off camera crap, it was originally an inspiring show. Now it's the same old reality bs every other show falls into.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It is also not just the biggest loser that does the dehydration. My hubby has a silver medal for rowing. He was the weight maker for the crew so they would tape garbage bags around their bodies put on sweat suits and run at high noon before the afternoon weigh in to lose the water to make the weight for the crew. All the team would do this. Professional athletes are a little crazy! A friend who is an adventure racer once went on a 160 km bike ride on a piece of sushi and a homemade sugar free muffin then told me she was stuffed. I thought she was crazy! Because of my husband we hang out with a lot of athletes and most of them have a warped idea of healthy eating which boarders on eating disorders. They also punish themselves with intense workouts when they have an off day. So basically unless you are able to dedicate a lot of time and be willing to starve yourself you are not going to have those big numbers. Slow and steady is the best way to go with weight loss. It is more sustainable. I don't think the trainers are being tough because they are evil people, it is more the culture to which they belong. And it makes for good tv!!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    if you look at matt and suzy ( which are the only two i remember anyway) they both regained weight. maybe not to what they were when they started, but they didn't maintain their lost size either........

i liked it when it first came out. but, after that i couldn't relate even. the first season there was a girl about my size on it, but, she got voted off pretty fast. i'm guessing because her numbers were just never going to be as big........
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    There are lots of reasons why contestants lose weight so fast, even the ones that aren't in the 300-500lb weight range:
    I've heard their 'weeks' are much longer than 7 days.
    The show has a very strict control on their diet.
    They exercise for hours, without distractions like their day jobs or families.

I also remember reading somewhere that some former contestants would not even drink water on the days of their weigh-ins, so that they could pull as big a number as possible, which seems kind of crazy to me. Some contestants have also said they'd work out in as much clothing as possible when the cameras were off. Many of the contestants (not all, mind you) end up gaining a lot of the weight back. Kai Hibbard (runner up in season 3) said "I do still struggle [with an eating disorder]. I do. My husband says I’m still afraid of food... I’m still pretty messed up from the show." Hardly seems worth it.

I think it's good trash TV, but no one should use it as a mark for how their own weight loss journey should go. It makes me sad when I see people in real life beating themselves up over 'only' losing 1-2lbs in a week (which is actually a healthy loss for most people) and thinking that, because people on TBL lose about 10lbs a week, they should be able to as well. It's entertainment, not realistic.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I met one of the people from a season of the Biggest Loser - Helen. I dont watch the show but I think she may have won a season or been close. Anyway, she said they were told they got 1200 cals a day starting out.... and it increased as they started working out depending on their weight etc, but everyone started at 1200. They met with a dietician twice - at the beginning of the show and right before the finale. They were left on their own to make good food choices and prepare their own food. They worked out all day long pretty much and she said it taught them through a trial by fire. They didn't have someone doing it for them and she said that made all the difference
  • breakthecycle
    breakthecycle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    My statement was very true. They do get a top nutrionist and they are taught nutrition information. I tried out for the show and got as much info as possible.

I got lots of information from my recruiter before I joined the Army. For some reason actually being in the Army did not quite match what he had told me.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll go with what you say since you were on the show...:wink:

I don't understand this. Why would he need to be on the show to know how awful the nutrition info is? They even bring these nutritionists in the show and they have no clue what they're talking about.
  • sweetaj
    sweetaj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    RE: the gal who dropped 15 last week....there's no question that she dehydrated herself...but she had a new car on the line and the finale, so she put mind over matter and went the extreme... I don't blame her! :)

I went from 154 to 143 OVERNIGHT (well a 24 hr period) about 2 years ago when we did a biggest loser comp at work. I didnt eat or drink anything all day, and did the sauna 20mins in/20 mins out for over 3 hours.
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My God... =(
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of them do gain a lot of weight back when they go back into the "real world" and can't exercise 6 hours a day anymore.

I remember reading an interview with a Biggest Loser contestant and it seemed pretty horrible on the set. Eating disorder horrible. Lots of diuretics before weigh ins. They also talked about the Subway commercials they did at the time where Bob would take them to Subway and talk about how healthy it was... then right after the cameras stopped rolling Bob would have them spit out their food because they weren't allowed to eat it. So in a way, what you see on TV is not what is happening.

Yup.

One contestant said he dehydrated himself to the point of urinating blood. Another said they had their blood tested and were prescribed some sort of fluid that tasted salty, so it must have been electrolytes and their trainers told them "don't you dare drink that. It will make you bloat. Throw it out, now."

They are pressured to do ridiculous things to get results for the camera.

They are not trying to be healthy. They are trying to win a competition for a large cash prize. They are not modelling healthy behaviour and they are not models of how to lose weight.
  • beachteacher7
    Options
    They are using Phentermine
  • superstankazz
    Options
    why to people on the Biggest Loser lose weight so fast? I'm really speaking of the contestants on the lower end of the scale... not the people in the 3-4oo's. The ones in the 220-250's ...how in the world in 16 weeks are they making goal???
    I have heard that it lasts longer than 16 weeks. Between the time that they leave the resort and the final reveal ia actually more like a year. Reallity shows aren't so "real".
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Not just the very obese. Last week the one who was 167 pounds lost 15 pounds from one weigh-in to the next.

I'm not sure on this, but I have a feeling that last week was more than a week for them with the legal battle and people walking off of the show. Perhaps she lost this in 2 weeks?
    This. They lost a week of production because of all the crap, so it was basically 2 weeks.
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    why to people on the Biggest Loser lose weight so fast? I'm really speaking of the contestants on the lower end of the scale... not the people in the 3-4oo's. The ones in the 220-250's ...how in the world in 16 weeks are they making goal???
    I have heard that it lasts longer than 16 weeks. Between the time that they leave the resort and the final reveal ia actually more like a year. Reallity shows aren't so "real".
    Idk if it's a year, but I know from the time the show stops taping episodes til the finale they are usually home 2-3 months in between.