Iron level help!

Options
2»

Replies

• sdm329
    sdm329 Posts: 57
    Options
    No matter how you eat or take your body will only absorb so much at a time. My iron had bottomed out fin July of 2011 and now it is back to normal. I had every test under the sun to figure out why, never got an answer. All I did was take an OTC iron with a Vit C every morning and every night. It took a while, but I didn't need an iron infusion. My hemotologist told me to just told to keep doing what I was doing. I did get it checked every month to make sure it was improving. You don't want it to bottom out but you can't force it. It's a slow and steady process. DO NOT take calcium or eat dairy with the iron, it hinders the absorption, just like the others posted earlier. Good Luck and stay in touch with you physician.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Which healthy foods are reliable sources of iron?

Beef Liver
    Spinach
    Lima beans
    Lentils
    Potato, with skin
    Navy beans
    Organic beef
    Organic chicken
    California avocado

http://www.24hrfitness.co.uk/nutrition/2010/foods-containing-iron.html
  • jennifer783
    jennifer783 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    cream of wheat.
  • payal2012
    payal2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    apples,spinach
  • Blackbird16
    Options
    I'm not sure what supplement I was on but I had to take two a day with orange juice for 3 months or as long as it took for me to 'level out'
    I'll definitely try that smoothie though!
  • JersryGirl31
    Options
    I have found by tracking the foods I eat on MFP that the biggest percentage of iron comes from fortified cereals, pastas and breads. Spinach and other dark leafy vegetables had some, but not as much as a bowl Total or even Cheerios.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Top of the pops: cream of wheat. One serving gives you 50% of your daily requirement of iron.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad iron deficiency anemia (I've had to have iron infusions before). I just started taking some carbonyl iron ("tender iron" you can find it online or in nutrition stores) because I can't stomach normal over the counter iron supplements. It's not horribly expensive and it absorbs better than the other supplements if you have absorption issues. Might be cheaper than the prescription stuff! Often with iron deficiency that is prolonged it's due to malabsorption issues and simply eating more iron enriched foods won't totally restore it to the level it needs to be.
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Iron supplements that you can find at a pharmacy? They'll do if need be.

Food-wise, try fortified foods like cereal and instant oatmeal and you could try dark green leafy vegetables.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My favorite to help with my iron levels are the quaker oatmeal squares cereal, one cup is 90% of the daily value, but you could also pick up some OTC iron pills to get you through. If you're that anemic, though, you should probably head to the doctor.
  • TropicTori
    Options
    I get the same Issues too sometimes but ive incorporated beats into my diet and it helps ALOT ive been eating at least 1+ whole beat a day and also the drink Malta ...like beer its an acquired taste and has calories but its also filled with iron
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am severely anemic and no matter what I eat, my iron levels don't move much. When my prescription ran out I just got them myself. I just go to my local pharmacy and even grocery stores and get iron capsules or ferrous sulfate in the vitamins section. They normally cost around $5 dollars a bottle.
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am iron related anemic too, and unfortunately, if you are like me, it doesn't matter what you eat. You have to take the supplements. I have tried high iron diets, but medically I am screwed. I know that my integra (awesome super prescription iron) is too expensive some months (COME ON GENERICS!) but over the counter supplements aren't terrible. But I have to take 4 for every one of my prescriptions.

Trust me, it isn't something you want to mess with. :(

Also, I do smoothies with bananas, ice, spinach and orange juice and strawberries. You can't taste the spinach (it ain't pretty) but orange juice makes iron absorption easier. And bananas are also high in iron. And obviously, avoid calcium for two hours before and after taking iron.

Like you I could never eat enough food to cover my deficit, I take iron twice a day and I eat right too. I am back at the doctors office in the morning for a blood test and I'm hoping that I can get down to 1 pill a day. Don't mess with this ladies, it's not worth it.

Good luck!! Try integra though. Not bad on your stomach at all. Although I think it's pretty new— I've been to the hospital once or twice while on it, and they don't have it normally. But it's only one pill?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Liver. Cook meals in a cast iron skillet.

Some drug companies have programs that provide free medications to people in economic need. Make an inquiry.